Wilder will stop Fury in the third match

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by fcb1068, Sep 28, 2020.

1. fcb1068

fcb1068 Active Member Full Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I strongly believe that Deontay Wilder and his team underestimated Tyson Fury in both fights. Imagine yourself sparring someone who outboxes you in every round but you heavily knock him down twice the only times you landed a punch. Of course you would go into the second sparring session with the same guy full of confidence, and overlooking him. Not to mention that you have fallen in love with your power especially because you knocked out your previous opponent with the only punch you landed. I understand how Wilder and his team could have underestimated Fury because I was thinking the same thing after their first fight, other wise I would have predicted the correct outcome as usual.

Now this belief is based on Wilder making a few adjustments, one of which is capping his fight night weight at 220 lbs, preferably lighter, less telegraphing, being able to fight going backwards ala the terrific Jermell Charlo against Rosario, better Jab, better guard and head movement, better punch variety and stamina etc. If Wilder doesn't show this in the lead up to the fight via training footage, I will take back my prediction.

2. The Underdog

The Underdog Member banned Full Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Can’t see it. How does Wilder adjust to being bumrushed on the inside where he can’t get his shots off? Fury has Wilder fully figured out at this stage.

3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Yah I doubt it. But if he does I'll have a good laugh at the Fury fanboys that currently have TF somewhere between Achilles and Hercules in martial prowess.

4. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    No. Wilder's limitations were just simply exposed by an above average fighter. He's always been limited and feasted on weak opposition.

5. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    What I don't understand is why Wilder took the exact same approach in the 2nd fight as he did in the first?

What he did vs Ortiz was excellent. Didn't try to waste energy outboxing ortiz, but waited for the perfect opportunity when Ortiz was in the right spot then BAM, Ortiz down despite winning every round.

I think Wilder would have done the same vs Fury. Just sit back, maybe jab a bit, don't try and go after fury, just wait for that perfect moment.

But he didn't, he threw a lot of right hands early on.

If I was Wilder, I'd simply wait for the right opportunity and wait for Fury to lose his focus.

6. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    It's not impossible, but I think it's very unlikely

7. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    :lol: If Jesus Christ himself came down from heaven and showed Wilder how to throw a textbook jab, Deontay would refuse to take instruction. DW has the physique and fast twitch muscle to be a heavyweight Tommy Hearns, but unfortunately his physical endowments are accompanied by a peanut-sized intellect that struggles to maintain focus on a single thought at a time.

Quina74, kriszhao, MrJonson and 14 others like this.
  8. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Don't think that's completely fair. Ortiz was hardly weak competition and he beat him fair and square the 2nd time.

At the end of the day Wilder sucks in almost every aspect, but his right hand is lethal, and it's not his fault that all these boxers cannot handle it.

Ortiz is a top 10 fighter at the moment.

Gatekeeper, sasto and HolDat like this.
  9. fcb1068

Aug 16, 2012
    Learn to throw an upper cut and a body punch on the inside, or establish a good heavy jab that minimises the number of times Fury can get inside.

The Underdog and pacas like this.
  10. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I can guarantee that both Breland and Deas didn't underestimate Fury, since they both know how good Fury is. Breland gave Wilder all the correct instructions in the first fight and was against Wilder putting on weight for the rematch, but Wilder did anyway, which is why Breland was pretty much quiet in the rematch because Wilder wasn't listening anyway.

It comes down to whether Wilder will follow instructions, which is something Wilder hates doing and I unfortunately got to see this first hand when Wilder was still a prospect when he visited my old gym. Wilder's lost quite a few people from his original team with the most important being Russ Anber, who got tired of Wilder not listening and went to work with Loma, who listens very well.

11. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Yeah, i don't think Ortiz was weak but he's pretty old and the rest of his competition is meh. I'm not blaming Wilder because his power is unreal, I just meant the HW division has been pretty weak as well in his career. It reminds me of Marciano's career.

12. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
  13. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    shut your noise!

14. fcb1068

Aug 16, 2012
    Haha, maybe big man Wilder needs to take instructions from another heavyweight who he will respect. His two coaches, Breland and Deas are small or average-sized guys, and maybe that's why Wilder doesn't listen to them. And you're right that Wilder has great physical attributes to be a heavyweight Tommy Hearns. How does someone like Wilder with very skinny legs have slow feet though? You would think he would be fleet footed but for every step he took Fury had already taken two or three. Other fighters with skinny legs like Campbell, Sadam Ali, all had quick feet.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    BCS8 likes this.
  15. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    ... between Hercules and Apollo?

lepinthehood likes this.