Wilder-Zhang, June 1

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Bob Flaps, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Astro likes this.
  2. kevin-novice

kevin-novice Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Yea decent. Wilder still dangerous

3. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
  4. Kev2k83

Kev2k83 Active Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2023
    No Parker rematch then for now interesting.

5. Kev2k83

Sep 30, 2023
    If he turns up and throws some punches.

sam11333 and kevin-novice like this.
  6. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Two shot fighters.

I give PAPA ZHEE a decent shout against post ayahuasca Wilder

he is a different beast entirely without those ancestral demon spirits coursing through that right hand of his

fury said it the first time they faced off in Fury Wilder I

“I’ve seen you before in Düsseldorf”

was VLADD also demon possessed when fury beat him, then Joshua got the exorcised shot retired version and still went life and death?

Terminator likes this.
  7. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Credit to Zhang for both taking another big fight but also for releasing Parker from an immediate rematch clause

8. unfriendlyorchid

unfriendlyorchid Probably moaning about Sky Sports Full Member

Jul 20, 2021
  9. Special K

Special K New Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2022
    I’ll be amazed if Wilder hears the last bell.
    As soon as he feels that straight left from Zhang he’ll be down and won’t want any more of it. His punches are not like Fury’s.
    Zhang needs to come in lighter and actually throw some punches this time though.

Punchdrunk1 and Scissors like this.
  10. Canvas-KO

Canvas-KO New Member banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2024
    Yeah chief support to Beterbiev vs Bivol and after the 5 vs 5 on June 1.

I’d like to see Parker rematch Joyce then instead.

I’d back Zhang to stop Wilder.

Bob Flaps likes this.
  11. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
  12. ash234

ash234 Active Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2023
    Can’t wait to see Skye Nicholson v Raven Chapman kick off the 5v5 two days before the main event.

Rollin, Inglis_1 and Beale like this.
  13. Kev2k83

Sep 30, 2023
    Tbf although women's boxing is generally rubbish don't mind raven she's generally pretty entertaining and has a degree of skill.

Hang on a minute if wilder is fighting Zhang and dubious is fighting hrgovic.

Kabayel allegedly fights Sanchez.

Who's Joshua fighting Parker, whyte?

14. Redbeard7

Redbeard7 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2022
    I think Zhang beats Wilder. For a start he arguably deserved a draw with Parker and came close to winning with the KD's, whereas Wilder arguably lost every round and never looked dangerous.

Zhang apparently has a tendency to cut corners in preparation and I suspect that the 290+ lbs against Parker (surely a stone too heavy) was reflective of that, perhaps gassing after 3-4 rounds against Forrest was too. He should be more motivated and focused in his next fight.

Malik Scott seems to have turned Wilder into Malik Scott; Wilder exhibited very little desire to win against Parker and was content to just circle round the ring, survive and pick up a cheque. The money, 5 year title run, psychedelic drugs, Fury beatings, psychological trauma and long periods of inactivity also took their toll. I expect that the Parker loss has further damaged him physically and mentally. Despite Zhang being 2.5 years older I see Wilder as the older fighter in this matchup.

I don't expect a better version of Wilder next time out because I don't think Wilder wants to continue boxing, whereas Zhang still believes that he can comeback (as he did after the Forrest draw and contentious loss to Hrgovic) and have another roll of the dice, become the first Chinese HW champion.

2018/2019 Wilder had a lot of problems with Ortiz; a similar level aged skilled southpaw puncher. I don't think that 2024 Wilder would have much of a chance against undefeated Ortiz.

The best version of Zhang was the one between Forrest and Joyce 2 as no one saw him coming, making him an extremely dangerous fighter. He was a 6/1 underdog against Hrgovic and Joyce 1, the film of him was misleading and opponents were overconfident. He took Joyce's soul in fight 1 so fight 2 was a cakewalk. Had Hearn selected Zhang instead of Franklin as Joshua's post-Usyk 2 comeback opponent then he'd have probably ended Joshua's career.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  15. DaRealJT

DaRealJT Trump 2024 Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    Zhang KOs Wilder and it will be brutal

Here's Johnny and Punchdrunk1 like this.