Wilder's power compared to the power hitters of the passed.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by 80s champs, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    "of the passed..."

...as in dead?

Geo1122 and madballster like this.
  2. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I do not know how you can reach that conclusion from this video.
    Despite his limitations of skill, chin & endurance, his power is superb.
    You can question accuracy compared to others, but not the effect when landing cleanly.

3. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    David Haye's power is surely overrated! But not as overrated as Deontay Wilder's punching power!

Wilder has many premature / nonsensical stoppages. Wilder failed to even drop, much less managed to KO Johann Duhaupas after landing 11 rounds of flush punches. Where the referee randomly stepped in and prematurely stopped the fight, despite Wilder literally missing his last 2 punches and Duhaupas barely even looking stunned / shaken. But that will go down officially as a 'knockout' win for Wilder, even though Wilder didn't REALLY KO Duhaupas. Of course, Boxrec and Wikipedia warriors such as yourself are going to count such a stoppage as legitimate (even though it wasn't) and use that as evidence of Wilder's knockout power. When a fight like that in contrast, really proves Wilder's power is overrated and lacking.

What do you think PRIME David Haye would have done to a scrub like Duhaupas? Or even Eric Molina? I can't see them lasting nearly as long as they did against Wilder. Especially a glass jawed Molina who was previously knocked out twice in the first round before fighting Wilder. Out of the 4 KO losses Molina has suffered, only Wilder needed the most number of punches and rounds to KO Molina.

Ismael Abdoul was never KO'ed in his life. Before or after facing Haye. Wilder has NEVER KO'ed an opponent with durability as proven as Ismael Abdoul's. Heck, he couldn't even drop Duhaupas in 11 rounds, who was dropped by a freaking blown up feather fisted cruiser weight inside 6 rounds before well before fighting Wilder. Why are we to believe he'd KO a granite chinned Ismael Abdoul who was never KO'ed in his boxing career?

Who did Wilder fight in his first 10 fights that were anywhere near as good as Carl Thompson? Exactly! At least Haye had the balls to step up early on in his career against high ranked opponents with proven durability and take his loss like a man, unlike Wilder who has been fighting Amir Khan level opponents for his first 35 bouts in terms of durability. Wilder was getting dropped by freaking Harold Sconiers and some other bum fat tubb named Dustin Nichols in his first 15 bouts. That's far worse than getting dropped by Carl Thompson.

There's nothing 'historic' about knocking out 30+ Amir Khan level opponents when it comes to durability. Even Alex Stewart had a 100% KO record fighting the level of opponents that Wilder faced, until he faced Evander Holyfield which is when he stepped up, suffered a loss and had his misleading KO record ended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Stewart_(boxer)

I could also go on to KO'ing Amir Khan 30+ times and have a 100% knockout. That wouldn't prove I have a 'historic level of power'. But of course, incompetent individuals such as yourself, are way too easily influenced by what Boxrec or Wikipedia states and fail to see the full picture.

Wilder has faced ONLY 3 opponents that were ranked in the top 10. Bermane Stiverne, Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury. 2 which he failed to stop (Fury and Stiverne in the first fight) and the other he managed to stop after Ortiz was 40+ years old with high blood pressure. So as it still stands, my point still stands, Wilder's power is unproven and suspect (at the level where it matters and at the level where it's relevant). Wilder's power at the "Amir Khan durability level" is nothing special!

Are you going to find me the part where I SPECIFICALLY and EXPLICITLY stated (in that thread), "NO FUTURE SMALL HEAVYWEIGHT WILL EVER BE FAVORITE OVER MODERN SUPER HEAVYWEIGHTS"? Or are you going to continue blabbering and waffling with irrelevant nonsense, whilst exposing your incompetence?

It's you who has to summon up the courage to admit that:

A) Your quality of life outside of the forums is so bad, that you have to take all your emotions out on a random online poster that you don't even know in person, over a topic that is as insignificant as this.

B) You take an idiot's (as you claim) points so seriously, that it warrants you to make long waffling posts after long waffling posts, in response to that 'idiot', which in return, exposes your own level of idiocy, since someone who responds with such long drivels to an 'idiot', exposes their own level of 'idiocy' to be suspect(without me having to call you an 'idiot' unlike you as your actions ALONE reveal volumes about the type of individual you are).

Just admit it! My words and point of views matter so much to you and your life (evidently a low quality life), that you can't bare to see me having a differing viewpoint to yours. Admit the fact that my points are making you lose so much sleep at night, that you're willing to respond to my posts so desperately and that you are borderline begging me to have a debate with you according to some random schedule you're coming up with.

My post wasn't even directed tat you! I just gave my own viewpoint in this thread. Nobody forced you to respond to me or to even agree with my viewpoint. Why are you getting so OVERLY emotional over me having a differing opinion to yours? Or do you have serious problems with disagreements? Perhaps you need to consult a professional for help with that issue?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    madballster and Brighton bomber like this.
  4. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Wilders not a clean puncher at all, his shots rarely land flush bc he throws like a tom girl.

He hurt Fury with behind ear punch and had Fury not bent over we probably see no knock downs bc the punches he didn't see are the ones that hurt him . I don't even know why Fury was giving him the back of his head at close range throughout the fight , WTF do these guys do in months of training ? Lol..Without the last knockdown Fury wins.

He clubbed Ortiz to death as well behind the head before landing clean shots.

His powers legit but no way I'm ranking this guy over the M.Tyson and Klitschkos of the sport right now.

I still rate Joshua the hardest puncher right now .

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    SmackDaBum likes this.
  5. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    More irrational blather. A very transparent attempt, as always, to muddle your clear inconsistencies and lack of reasoning ability by simply throwing out so many words you hope it looks nice. And, ironically, displaying perfectly the qualities that you accuse me of, as far as going personal. At least you actually responding in a semi timely manner this time. I have no doubt you will eventually coward out and wait for days to pass.

Every single fighter has stoppages not based on pure knockdowns. Wilder has fewer than average. Name another HW and I will use your asinine reasoning to tear it down more effectively than you tear down Wilders. Your specific examples are either pathetic examples easily transferable to any other fighter, (Duhaupas has a great chin, even if one roided up person managed to KO him, and he was stopped by Wilder, plenty of other great hitting HW's have struggled worse against worse chined opponents, Haye among them, with the examples I gave, and which you failed to remotely counter), or outright lies, (Abdoul WAS stopped, and BEFORE he faced Haye). Sure you can subjectively claim that Carl Thompson is better than anyone Wilder has faced, but that is not only an unprovable assertion, its patently absurd. Trying to compare the 24 people Steward faced, to even the first 24 of Wilder's career, let alone later, is absurd. Compared to AJ, Fury, or 95% of other HW's who have ever held a belt, Wilder's resume until the last year was atrocious. But it was objectively still incomparably better than that of Stewarts. Comparing the two again shows you utter lack of objectivity or ability to be rational or admit error.

But what can I expect from the forums poster who has taken the most dramatic about face in forum history? Again, you stated clearly in your original thread any current fighter (which Usyk is and was) could not compete who is under 6'4. Moreover, so the **** what. You say someone has under a ten percent chance if they are current, but should be overwhelmingly favored if they are current 12 months later? Again, these are not rationally consistent thoughts. I don't know why I am bothering with you because you are so far gone. If I am guilty of anything you accuse me of in your irrational blather, it is taking you too seriously in responding back to you in the first place. But, generally if someone goes to these forums, they are preinclined to argue anyway. Why do you respond back to me, if you deem my arguments not worthy of response? Ultimately, your obscene contradictions and your over the top ignorance of logic and reason are galling enough to me to call out. At least as long as you are capable of engaging in an actual debate, and not running and hiding for days on end.

6. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    He's the absolute king of Hot Takes

andrewa1 likes this.
  7. hotspur77

hotspur77 New Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2013
    No worries buddy

8. Heavyrighthand

Heavyrighthand Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Wlad K had more ko power imo.

Quite a bit more, in fact. #
    Many of Wlads KOs were more devastating and “final”; whereas Wilder is more along Vitali’s level of power; obviously hard enough to ko, but not such a “one shot and he’s done” result

Tua and Tyson both had more one shot ko power than Wilder, as well

Wilder seems to be overrated, as far as ko power goes. IMO.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  9. Heavyrighthand

Heavyrighthand Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Yes

Not so much strength and shocking force power, but more long-arm leverage and long wind-up, “here it comes” type power. Hearns being a perfect comparison

10. Geo1122

Geo1122 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Sure, Wilder has power. He doesn't have brute force though, like a Foreman, or Tyson. Wilder really needs to catch you clean at some point, which he normally does, as he has the knack for it. Your Foreman's and Tyson's of this world could smash you around the ring, even if their shots were bouncing off your shoulders or gloves.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; getting hit by the brute guys is like getting hit with a shovel. Getting hit by a Wilder type is like getting hit with a stiletto. Which one's worse, I don't know.

andrewa1 likes this.
  11. Pretty Boy Floyd

Pretty Boy Floyd Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
  12. archdeacon99

archdeacon99 Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Didn't he get ko'd by Charlie Zelanoff? He didn't ko Zelanoff, he kept coming for more.

13. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    To be fair to Duhaupas he showed that Wilder’s powerful right hand is easy to neutralize if you don’t give Wilder space just like Quarry did to Earnie Shavers. Fury kept closing in on Wilder with quick 1-2’s whenever Wilder tried to find the space he wanted. Fury got careless in the 12th round when he stopped punching and got more stationary, which gave Wilder the space and time he needed to setup his right hand.

It also doesn’t help that Wilder’s predictable and a head hunter, which makes his right hand easy deal with for any opppnent that either crowds him or has a little bit of head movement.

Luis Fernando likes this.
  14. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    I'm responding more out of amusement and entertainment, than anything else. It's laughable seeing you call someone an 'idiot', then feeling the need to write essay long posts after essay long posts to that person you deem to be an 'idiot'.

It's also laughable seeing your emotional outbursts, Ad - Hominem attacks, personal attacks and insults against me, all because I have a differing viewpoint than yours? All you're doing is exposing your own personal problems related to disagreements.

I'm actually flattered that you value my points as much as you do, so much so, that they keep you awake at night and force you to respond with all those emotions in such a hurry. All that reveals is how low your self-worth is, and how much you value someone else's viewpoints and how much problems you have with disagreements.

Just admit it! It's killing you inside that I disagree with your naive and superficial viewpoints. Which is forcing you to come with all these emotional posts.

Wilder has multiple premature / nonsensical stoppages which shouldn't count officially as knockouts. The Duhaupas fight is just one example, as is the Gerald Washington fight.

Why should I 'name another heavyweight'? So what if you can use my 'asinine reasoning' to tear them down? What would that prove? It certainly won't prove Wilder is the most powerful puncher ever or even today.

You're all but confirming with the above statement, that Wilder's power is nothing special compared to other heavyweights in an indirect manner. Since if Wilder's power was so special, I shouldn't be able to 'tear' down his knockout record and expose his knockout record to be overrated, like you can with other heavyweights. In other words, Wilder's power is susceptible to similar scrutiny as pretty much any other heavyweight. In other words, Wilder's power is therefore proven to be nothing special compared to those 'other' heavyweights.

You being able to 'tear down' the knockout records of other heavyweights, isn't going to automatically prove Deontay Wilder is the most powerful puncher by default. It's a case by case study! Even if I can't prove anybody else is a more powerful puncher than Deontay Wilder, it still wouldn't therefore mean that Wilder is the most powerful puncher and that his power is therefore separated from everybody else's power. Since Wilder's power can be equal to other big punchers, without it being superior.

Duhaupas has a slightly above average chin. There's nothing 'great' about his chin. The fact that Wilder couldn't even drop Duhaupas, despite the fact that Duhaupas was dropped by a feather fisted blown up cruiser weight, exposes Wilder's power to be overrated and disproves the notion that it's the best.

Abdoul was never knocked out! He was stopped on his feet against Wlodarczyk in the 12th round, which was a fight he was able to go the distance if the ref didn't stop the fight. Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from a Boxrec warrior such as yourself. Who goes by what Boxrec says, rather than by actually seeing the fights. Unfortunately for you, I'm not as impressed by BoxRec as you are. I give greater precedence to watching fights to come to conclusions, rather than seeing superficial results being written on Boxrec or Wikipedia.

My point still stands! There's absolutely no reason to assume Wilder is going to KO Abdoul, when he couldn't even drop Duhaupas in 11 rounds, whilst needing a premature stoppage to win. There's nothing suggesting Duhaupas even has better durability than Ismail Abdoul.

I challenge you to 'OBJECTIVELY' prove how Deontay Wilder's first 11 opponents were better than Carl Thompson. Or how Deontay Wilder's 11th opponent was better.

You are aware, that Carl Thompson's highest ranking was higher than any of Wilder's first 11 opponents, correct?

You are aware that Carl Thompson has a better win/loss ratio than any of Wilder's first 11 opponents, correct?

You are aware that Carl Thompson has more wins out of his career record, than any of Wilder's first 11 opponents, correct?

You are aware, that Carl Thompson has a higher knockout record (63%) than any of Wilder's first 11 opponents, especially his 11th opponent that is Harold Sconiers?

So in what universe am I 'subjectively' claiming Carl Thompson is better than Wilder's first 11 opponents, when all the evidence suggests Thompson is better based on his superior record? How about you OBJECTIVELY prove that point? I'd like to see you try!

And 'patently absurd'? Rather than trying to appear intelligent by using big words (where they don't apply), you are better advised to sort out your poor grammar, sentence structure and lack of logic in your posts.

Again, are you going to actually prove how Wilder's first 24 opponents were better than Stewart's first 24 opponents? Or are you going to continue using big, irrelevant words to appear smart, whilst actually avoiding the challenges I've provided? Go ahead and use your 'patently non-absurd' reasoning and 'non-asinine' reasoning to prove how Wilder's first 24 opponents were better. I'd like to see you try!

Stewart is proof that high knockout record ALONE proves nothing. Mike Tyson had a lower knockout record in his first 24 bouts than Stewart, but when they both fought each other, Tyson was the one who had Stewart down thrice in the first round and stopped him. And I doubt anybody in their right mind will consider Stewart to be a more powerful puncher than Tyson.

Unlike Wilder, Stewart stepped up far quicker against a PRIME, elite, all time great and a top 10 opponent in Evander Holyfield. Meanwhile, the only reason why Wilder managed to continue his 100% knockout streak beyond 24 bouts was because Wilder refused to step up, unlike Stewart. But the moment he did against Bermane Stiverne, his 100% KO record was gone. And Bermane Stiverne was only a top 10 fighter, not an all time great elite fighter as Holyfield was. What happened to Stewart after losing to Holyfield (and Tyson) is irrelevant, because he was no longer the same fighter he was due to the beatings he sustained against those 2 all time greats and likely had his punch resistance decreased. The same may very well happen to Wilder after he steps up like Stewart did.

15. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017

If we exclude all the irrelevant opponents outside of the top 10 that have laughable Amir Khan / David Price level durability, Wilder's record leaves us with 3 RELEVANT opponents. Bermane Stiverne in the first fight, Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury. Out of those 3 bouts, he has only one stoppage which amounts to a 33% knockout record against top 10 opponents. And before you mention the second bout against Bermane Stiverne, be aware that Stiverne wasn't ranked in the top 10 during the second bout. He was only ranked in the top 10 during the first bout so that bout is the only bout that's relevant when assessing Wilder's power AT THE TOP LEVEL.

So until Wilder proves himself against actual PRIME, top 10 opponents (on a consistent basis), I'm going to continue questioning his power.

Unlike you, I'm not as impressed by a high knockout percentage against opponents outside the top 10 with Amir Khan / David Price level durability.

Does it come as a coincidence that Wilder's only stoppage win against a top 10 heavyweight, came against a past - prime top 10 heavyweight (in terms of age), who happened to be Luis Ortiz? Whilst against the other top 10 heavyweights in Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury who were in their primes at the time of bout against Wilder (age wise), Wilder all of a sudden couldn't KO them?

As of now, Joshua is easily the more proven puncher and his OVERALL knockout record is far more impressive than Wilder's. Joshua in half the number of bouts, has already KO'ed way more previously UN-KO'ed / unbeaten, PRIME top 10 opponents than Wilder has. This is an indisputable fact! Dillian Whyte, Dominic Brezeale and Charles Martins were not only in the top 10, but also in their primes and unbeaten when Joshua became the first boxer to KO them. Furthermore, against 2 common opponents both Joshua and Wilder share in Eric Molina and Jason Gavern, Joshua stopped both those opponents with fewer punches and in fewer rounds. To me, there's absolutely 0 reason to believe Wilder is a harder puncher than Joshua.

Even Dillian Whyte's KO over previously UN-KO'ed and previously unbeaten Lucas Browne is arguably more impressive than any of Wilder's knockouts.

Dillian Whyte's 2 knockdowns against Joseph Parker are also far more impressive than Wilder's 2 knockdowns against Tyson Fury or against pretty much any other opponent. Name me just one, and I mean just one opponent Wilder has dropped with durability as proven as Joseph Parker's. But we don't encounter anybody claiming Whyte is the most powerful puncher ever, despite dropping a Parker who was never previously dropped before. Whilst when Wilder drops a far less durable Tyson Fury, that's somehow supposed to be evidence of Wilder being the biggest puncher ever? Even though this same Fury has been dropped previously by 2 feather fists?

David Haye's stoppage win over Dereck Chisora is also more impressive than any of Wilder's stoppages. I challenge you to find me just one opponent Wilder has faced, who's durability has been as proven as Chisora's that Wilder stopped.

Chisora went 12 rounds against Vitali Klitschko, who is one of the most powerful punchers of the last decade without getting stopped / dropped. Chisora went 12 rounds against Dillian Whyte without getting dropped once or stopped. And this Whyte literally put the likes of Lucas Browne to sleep and had them carried out in stretchers. Chisora also took hard hitting Helenius's punches without getting dropped once or stopped. And this Helenius recently just starched Erken Tepper.

No matter how you want to twist this, you won't be able to find actual DURABLE opponents Wilder has stopped LEGITIMATELY. The only durable opponent Wilder faced with proven durability was Johann Duhaupas who he couldn't drop or legitimately stop. He needed a premature / illegitimate stoppage where he was literally missing his last 2 punches before the referee randomly stepped in and stopped the fight prematurely , giving Wilder a free gifted hometown stoppage.