Wilfred Benitez (SRL fight) vs Duran (SRL Montreal fight)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Longhhorn71, May 19, 2019.

1. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Fair play.

We can all get heated up about boxing, especially myself, and say rash things. Kudos.

2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I know and I agree with many things you and others say also. On this subject of Duran and a few other topics people think I am unbending and it creates long threads. I don't get upset about it ever. You guys are saying what you are believing, and I am saying what I am. Everything is good.. I enjoy coming here and talking to you guys.

robert ungurean likes this.
  3. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Same to you. I appreciate that. I know it gets that way sometimes on here, but it is never personal. I don't know any of you, so the only thing I can say is general ridiculous stuff we say in discussions on here. Sometimes I think should I stop repeating the stuff about Duran or other things like Leonard and the Lalonde fight? which really bothered me in 1988 as it does now. The two titles. Then I think well it is boxing message board and they are defending what they believe so why not say it. I try not to get insulting on here since I know the people I talk to on here whom I argue with are people I would probably like in person I am sure since we all love boxing so it would work out well, and somehow how I look on here is different than I am in person..On here I look like some stubborn loud mouth guy who won't shutup. But all we have is words here, so the dynamic changes.. Believe it or not I am a rather quiet person who gets into my interests and is not that way at all.

I had to hold onto some opinions for so many years before the internet because I did not talk to anyone about it, so when I finally had the chance to say what I felt on a boxing message board I really said it and people responded like how can he say that about Duran. But it is not in disrespect to Duran it is only about boxing. I suppose it looks personal, but it is not. And he is great. His personality is the most real and engaging of all the fab 4 including Benitez. He loves the interaction with people and his energy there is sort of what it is in the ring. He has an energy and spirit that if he engages he really comes out and it is hard to stop that momentum. Duran was more personal when he knocked guys out. Even with Hearns in that fight when he landed right hands you could see the energy in him perk up and had Tommy not been able to hurt him, it could have been a different fight. Hearns and Leonard and Hagler were more this is part of the game. Duran really did focused on the person and would take it into the ring and he loved it which is why he could fight so long. So I admire that and his career. That is one thing which people say is that I hate Duran and it is not that.

If the whole message board said you are getting annoying and could you leave? If I felt I was really bothering people with my opinions and they wanted me to leave sure I would get out, but I get the feeling people enjoy the back and forth and all that so I keep going on here. Even though people get a little upset, I feel they don't mind or they would not respond either. A year or so back someone said I was a troll. I didn't know what that meant so I looked it up. It was not that, although sometimes when the whole board is against me I do feel like just going on and on because I have 5 people responding to me and I will spend an hour responding to all of it, so it gets sort of funny. Then I have 8 alerts and I think oh god. This will take a long time. Sorry I wrote so much. Take care..

robert ungurean and roughdiamond like this.
  4. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I have to add one more thing. One time a year or two back some guy sent me a private message and said"I say this in respect- is there a way you can modify you controls here and not see threads which show Duran's name so we don't have to hear your opinions over and over?" I said people don't care too much about my opinions about Duran and the Leonard fight. He said "No we don't care much but could you look for this as an option?" I answered him how much fun would that be. But he presented it so well I backed off on the thread which was going on at the time.