Wilfred Benitez vs. Floyd Mayweather from 140-154

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Thread Stealer, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    He was well managed. But, I think he was the real deal. He had very few weaknesses. Many of the best fighters he beat were not in their absolute prime or absolute best weight, but he wasn't always at his absolute best weight, either.

Now, you could make an argument that a guy like Kostya Tzsyu had a perfect managed career. Despite his limitations, he was able to achieve al lot at 140 lbs.

2. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Most of that was just timing.

More of my issues with Floyd's opposition was from 2007-on, when he became the box office draw who could get the fights he wanted. He wasn't too active and some of those matchups that took place were overdue.

Mosley's prime was the late 90s up until 2002. His best win and best performance was in June 2000 against DLH. Mayweather became champion at 130 in October 1998, Mosley left 135 a few months later to go to 147. Mayweather said he wanted to fight Mosley, but I never heard of any serious negotiations between the two camps. The only people who really care about "call outs" are gullible press conference fans.

There was discussion about a match in the summer of 2006, when Floyd was looking for an opponent for November. After Mosley beat Vargas in the rematch in July, he said he had a "toothache", which was probably his excuse for "Oscar is the boss at Golden Boy and he is fighting Floyd next year".

When Floyd said in 2003 before the Sosa fight that he wanted to fight De La Hoya, people reacted with the obvious "they are 3 weight divisions apart". Floyd was at 135, DLH was at 154. Floyd eventually made his way to 147 by the end of 2005, and then fought DLH in May 2007 at 154. Like Mosley, that was timing and difference in competing weight classes that they didn't face earlier.

Mayweather expressed interesting in facing Cotto in 2005 after he had just tortured poor Gatti, but Cotto's advisors nixed it. The fight would have been best in 2008, after Mayweather/Hatton and Cotto/Mosley. Mayweather went on to negotiate a DLH rematch and then "retired". Cotto just followed Arum's plan to fight Margarito. Cotto admitted later that there were no real negotiations between the two camps at the time. So both are to blame then, as well as Arum since the stubbornness of both him and Floyd not wanting to work together surely played a part in the lack of negotiations. Cotto ended up fighting Margarito, Clottey, and Pacquiao in a 16 month period, so at least he gave us some great matchups in place of a Mayweather fight.

3. N_ N___

N_ N___ Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2014

He beat a faded Duran. I shouldn't have to explain how that nullifies Floyd's entire career.

4. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    This matchup at 140 would be awesome

5. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I agree, that would be the most entertaining.

6. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Of course! I'm an idiot.

7. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    The skill level from both fighters, especially defensively, would be brilliant.

8. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I said in their prime. Did not say they were shot. None of these fighters were in their prime.

9. bodhi

bodhi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2009
    IMHO Floyd should be the favourite at 140. He was a seasoned pro, was more mobile, threw more combinations, was generally busier and also had more pop in his punches than later on his career. He certainly looked more impressive than at 147/154.
    Benitez beat Cervantes at super lightweight but he was very young and rather inexperienced. I think that would count here and thus I see PBF winning a convincing decision. I also think this would be the most entertaining fight to watch out of the three.
    One weight class up, it would be a competitive fight but Benitez was more experienced by then, also here he would be able to make his size advantage count more and the difference in power would be clearer. Floyd was more stationary and switched to a pot-shotting and a reduced workrate. It would be close but I think Benitez would edge it. Like 3-2 for Benitez in 5 fights.
    At 154 I think it would be even clearer. It was Benitez best weight IMO. Floyd was rather small there, would be even less mobile and would throw even less punches. I confidently pick Benitez here.

Jel and Vanboxingfan like this.
  10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Mayweather
    Benitez
    Benitez

11. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    140 pick em lean towards May
    147 Benitez
    154 Benitez
    I agree that May waited for certain guys to get old Mosley and Oscar being two obvious cases and he avoided Manny for 5 yrs WTF.
    Benitez did just about everything better in my book.
    Hell Floyd even dictated the gloves Maidana wore while he had on Grants!! Punchers gloves! I mean come on thats ridiculous.

12. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Huh?

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I find myself agreeing with the concensus or Mayweather at 140 and Benitez above.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  14. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Do u seriously believe Oscar and Mosley were in there prime wen they fought Floyd?? Your being delusional.

15. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Mayweather at 140 - retained speed, some of his power, athleticism and also was very experienced as a pro. This would've edged out Benitez's inexperience and growing body.
    Benitez at 147 very close.
    Benitez at 154 close but clear.

mrkoolkevin likes this.