Will AJ Vacate the WBO rather than fight Usyk?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Who_Necks, May 27, 2021.

Will AJ Vacate the WBO rather than fight Usyk?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    68.9%
  1. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    No. It was an excuse used by Dillian Whyte because he knew that Usyk would play with that Canteloupe and crack it at will. There's a football fan style following that Hearn has built with Matchroom over the years and it has made big names of the likes of Bellew and Chisora, both of whom lost comprehensively to Usyk on PPV that they'll all have forked out for. Usyk is a big player in the division and the World knows it, there's nowhere to hide now if he comes calling , there's no excuse and while I fully believe that Whyte and possibly Fury would do all they can to dodge him I don't think AJ is the type, whatever you say about him he'll take that kind of fight rather than play it safe. I actually believe that of the Fury, Wilder and AJ trio the latter has the best chance against Usyk. I think Usyk would make Wilder look stupid and I think he'd be a very awkward nights work for Fury with his footwork and reluctance to get drawn into anything stupid. Don't get me wrong, Joshua would be up against it but I think since the Ruiz Jnr fights he's a more intelligent fighter, better with his jab and better defensively.

2. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    He should beat Usyk and I expect him to do so unless he goes into Andy Ruiz mode - any decent World Heavyweight Champion should beat a guy coming up from Cruiser.

If he does not land a big punch in the first 4 rounds, the legendary stamina and heart issues could easily come to the fore later in the fight.

Glenn McKrory and EJC83 like this.
  3. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Good points mate but I cannot see any of the three out boxing Usyk for a points win.

I can see Wilder flattening Usyk as he has looked easy to hit at Heavyweight, Fury having a nightmare up against a quicker version of a very good technical boxer and Joshua struggling badly unless he takes him out early.

That is assuming Wilder comes back to the level he was in Fury 1.

All good fights and would be great if all 4 fought each other in a league format.

zulander and EJC83 like this.
  4. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    He already took the easy path by facing Pulev.

To be honest Usyk looks to be on the slide for me. No way is he the same fighter he was 3/4 years ago. His fight against Gasiev is close to how he should fight the heavies but he doesnt look like he has rhe legs to do that anymore and that extra weight wont help. I think AJ bangs him out and it could be quite early as Usyk is usually a slow starter.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Twentyman likes this.
  5. Glenn McKrory

Glenn McKrory M&S luxury pudding Full Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Unfortunately Uzyk just looks that bit too small to beat one of the top boys. He's a lovely boxer though, but the heavyweight division relies on more than skill, to his detriment.

I'm sure he could cause an upset though, by taking Joshua on the front foot, but can't see it happening.

Then again, a fat man has done it, so why not? Let's hope he doesn't vacate, will be an interesting fight.

6. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Lol I love it from all the anti-AJ fans, they’re already coming out with all the usual bull.

AJ wins, “Well of course he’s gonna beat a cruiserweight”

AJ loses “haha I told you he was awful and Usyk was gonna cause him all sorts of problems.”

Bit like BJS and Canelo the other night, “BJS was taking over, such a shame Canelo got a lucky punch” lol it’s hilarious.

Scissors and Brixton Bomber like this.
  7. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    You talk complete shite. Who on earth said it was a lucky punch on here? If anybody did then clearly they are stupid and dont take anytbing they say serious.

So people cant say they expect AJ to win? You are so sensitive when anybody mentions AJ or Hearn, why? Its a bit odd mate.

Glenn McKrory and Furious like this.
  8. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    This content is protected

Deary me, no wonder this video has got so many dislikes - you couldn’t trust a word this bitter old fool says.

KermitTheFrog and Scissors like this.
  9. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    I will give The Humble One great credit when he defeats Fury, Usyk and Wilder in the ring.

These are his career defining fights and no excuses at all should he win these fights.

10. tomclarky

tomclarky New Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2017
    I have a feeling Eddie Hearn is pushing hard to get a rematch clause in the contract, which as a mandatory, Usyk is not obligated to accept.

He's probably telling Usyk's team that if they decline, they will vacate the belt and any fight between him and Joyce wouldn't be on SKY and they would make less money on BT Sport.

11. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dont think he,ll vacate. Usyk should be a straight forward win. Hes a safety first opponent for joshua. Doesnt have the things that trouble joshua. No real power at heavyweight. His style doesnt really translate well to heavyweight....his biggest asset is he gets opponents working harder than they want to be working...then drowns them as a fight goes on...he does it by fighting just out of range of the cruiserweights. Close enough to get them reacting and throwing but far away enough not to get hit with anything too damaging. Hes brilliant at it. The problem is he now gives away too much in height/weight/size etc....to be as effective hes now in range of the bigger men.

Usyks a brilliant fighter...but hes not gonna be a brilliant heavyweight...still a good one tbf. But hes giving away too much at the weight. He,ll be tricky night for joshua in terms of skill..but wont be a dangerous opponent.

12. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nobody gave Snickers Jnr a chance against Joshua so methinks he wants to fight a lesser light than Usyk,.Wallin should stick by his phone.

destruction likes this.
  13. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Why would it? He’s the favourite so wouldn’t exactly be a shock.

14. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I know.

Talking about Usky like he's not top 2 greatest ever @ CW.

15. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    You’re looking for something that’s not there. Everyone rates Usyk at CW, the question is whether he can manage against one of the top HWs.

Joshua is the favourite, and that’s no slight on Usyk, it’s just that he’s so much bigger and experienced at HW. People aren’t trying to downplay things, those are just facts.