Will AJ Vacate the WBO rather than fight Usyk?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Who_Necks, May 27, 2021.

Will AJ Vacate the WBO rather than fight Usyk?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    68.9%
  1. Who_Necks

Who_Necks David Price's Big Suit Full Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Give over..... Parker just scraped by Delboy and the first fight was an absolute stinker.
    He has to fight Usyk or there will never be an undisputed.
    If AJ is vacating the WBO Fury should do as his Dad says and bin WBC (still has the RING to defend) go to Saudi and coin in the fat PPV loot.

2. nilrem

nilrem New Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Still be breaking the contract though?

Unforgiven likes this.
  3. Who_Necks

Who_Necks David Price's Big Suit Full Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Who is the one in the ring getting punched in the face... Contract would be void if he dropped the belt.

4. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012

He still lands it on every single opponent hes fought in recent years. Usyk, parker, whyte x 2...all good opponents as well.

Joyce would also be a decent fight that could cause joshua problems. Joyce wide open for getting knocked out tho. Dubois was a great win but how good really is dubois. Frank was building his name off fighting absolute nobodies. I do think joyce could cause him some problems tho.

Surprised they may duck usyk tbh...how bad do you need to be to duck a cruiserweight who,s looked slightly average in his two turns at heavyweight.

Jurgen likes this.
  5. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Just to throw my two pennies worth from what I’ve seen so far.
    All of this is a negotiating tactic form both sides. Team AJ are more than happy to fight Usyk next.

As it’s a mandatory scenario it’s all coming down to money and purse rulings form the WBO. Although the token WBO ruling is 80/20 in the champions favour they now allow you to appeal and with that assess both fighters last 3 purses. This is causing a slight problem as this takes into account AJs purse vs Pulev which was reduced significantly due to no crowd and the pandemic. Meanwhile USyk has been overpaid so they comparisons are causing an issue with Team AJ

team AJ want 80/20 particularly as they are basing their numbers on only 40,000 in Wembley. Team Usyk apparently started the request asking for 60/40 but will take less.

Team AJ are basically saying to the WBO that if you order more than a 75/25 split they will dump the belt and go else where.
    All a negotiation

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Parker's not much good but he's about as good as Whyte and he went 12 rounds with AJ. Sure, it was a stinker but I fully expect AJ-Usyk to be a stinker too, so that's where I'm coming from.

If Fury's not obligated to fight Wilder if he drops the WBC belt, he should do it, yes.
    I'm not sure about that though, whether his Dad is talking rubbish or not. The contract to fight Wilder next might not be so easy to get out of.
    Also, I don't know if Hearn and AJ would fight Fury for no WBC bet on a 50-50 split.
    There's a lot of hearsay and assumptions being made. Big John Fury is hardly a reliable source. But if he's right and all Fury has to do is 'bin the belt', yeah, that would be great.

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    That's what I think.
    People are talking as if this is a "WBC title" matter, when I think it's a Fury-Wilder matter.
    Big John Fury gets a lot of things wrong, bless him, the old eye gouger.

BigDoofus likes this.
  8. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    If a comparison is made between both fighters last three purses to determine the purse split now as you say, then Matchroom and team AJ would not have any issue whatsoever, in fact the split would be massively in their favor.

Joshua got paid somewhere between $60-$65 for the Ruiz rematch in Saudi Arabia alone! If you factor in the first fight at MSG and Pulev fight last Dec he has definitely earned well over $100 million in his last 3 fights. That's assuming his purse vs Pulev was vastly reduced, total figure could be $115 million..

Usyk last three purses are nowhere near that. You talking 6-7 times less, and that's being generous.

I would be surprised if finances are an issue and if both sides can't come to an amicable agreement.

9. RT7

RT7 Active Member Full Member

Apr 21, 2014
    That's the point where Chisoras concerned, he's landed his supposedly biggest punch in 4 recent fights & lost them all, that's a disaster for a heavyweight.

10. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    its the fact they are contesting. You never know what the WBO Will rule. Which is the concern Matchroom have hence the pressure to not mess about

I’m fairly certain they also supposedly take the latest purse into account as a great deal when making their calculations.

essentially WBO will rule 80/20 purse bid. Then a deal will be struck before purse bid where Matchroom offer a deal slightly better than 80/20 so they do t have to go to a bidding war.

team Usyk are just pushing their luck amd rightly so.

11. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Usyk, parker and whyte all got better chins than aj. If he hits joshua with the same shots he hit them with they,ll be a reaction.

Unlike a lot of other opponents chisora puts the pressure on....the mistake most of joshuas opponents have made against him is that they sit back and wait for him to tire. He takes them out before that time comes. Whyte put the pressure on and its joshuas worst performance barring the ruiz fight. He fought like an amatuer that night. Ruiz pushed him back again was all over the place. Klitchko blew it cause he tried to outbox him after having the job half done. The way to beat joshua is pushing him back.

Chisoras better at it than any of them.