Will Anthony Joshua's losing muscle mass help him with his stamina issues?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by truth_teller, Oct 16, 2019.

1. truth_teller

truth_teller Member banned Full Member

Jun 4, 2019
    I'm sure by now we all know Anthony Joshua has a terrible stamina.

When he lashes out on his opponents, he quickly gets tired, and if he is unsuccessful with the attack, his opponent (if a skilled one) punishes him dearly.

I am interested to know if AJ's stamina issues are related to huge amount of mass he carries or is it something he can not fix by decreasing the muscle mass?

It is known that the more muscle cells, the more lactic acid accumulates in your cells and the more fatigued you feel.

Maybe instead of intensely focusing on losing muscle mass, he should work on his endurance and do exercises like windmill training.

Or a better idea: he should adopt a defensive style like Wladimir Klitschko:

• hide behind his jabs,
    • try to finish off his opponents with his huge reach and power advantage,
    • if his opponent is a pressure fighter, don't hesitate to grab him.

So let's summarize :

• Lose redundant muscle mass
    • Improve your endurance
    • Develop your jab and learn to hide behind it
    • Learn to grab effectively
    • Don't think about what fans think about you, don't try to be superman , fight defensively and grab.

I'm sure they will boo him when he uses grabbing often but what the heck. He can reign the division for a decade if he adopts a defensive style. Look at Floyd Mayweather Jr and Wladimir Klitschko...

Angler Andrew and Holler like this.
  2. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
  3. Komaster

Komaster Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Maybe AJ's big muscles are genetic as his lack of stamina is. So maybe not a lot can be done now.

RingKing75, truth_teller and CST80 like this.
  4. JediPimp007

JediPimp007 Long suffering reader Full Member

May 8, 2006
    In theory it should do, as he was carrying a good 20+ pounds of muscle that his frame doesn't look equipped to carry. I'd have thought that as part of this that extreme endurance training has been the main focus of the camp, along with going back to the basics of using the jab as the primary weapon. He has the physical gifts and the toolset to make the second Ruiz fight a VERY easy night, but saying and doing are two different things.

Still going with Ruiz, I think a lot of AJ's issues are down to mentality and ability to stick to a game plan.

5. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Hopefully Ruiz doesn't get KO'd early so this experiment can be played out. It would be hilarious if Joshua lost all the mass and gassed anyway, then got KO'd cold before the world. I personally think stamina is largely based on the internal system, which is why you always see fatties who have good endurance (Fury, Ruiz, Chisora) and leaner guys who gas earlier than expected (Price, Wlad, Mcgregor) but it can obviously be adjusted a bit with training and maybe compensated for.

Rusty100 likes this.
  6. deadACE

deadACE Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    It wont hurt his stamina and will also make him more fluid. Consequence is less weight behind his punches. Fair trade? We shall see

7. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Remember he'd trained for jarrell Miller, a limited fighter but a big one. That's the only reason he'd bulked up to that size in my view.

I remember watching Frank Bruno, who had the body of a Greek God but after 7 or 8 rounds used to tighten up as all those muscles burnt through his available energy.

There's probably some kind of sweet spot between mass and muscle for the heavyweight division. Maybe pure muscle isn't the way to go...

Angler Andrew likes this.
  8. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012

Losing mass wouldn't have done Bruno much good which is why he never tried it. Remains to be seen if it will have any benefit for Joshua, I doubt he will come in that much lighter anyway. 10lb tops.

9. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    There definitely is a sweet spot and it's different for each person. Joshua tends to look huge but has so so endurance. He also fights a little bit stiff.

Clearly his camp is trying to improve his endurance and probably quickness.

That's why I find all the comments about Ruiz's body funny. He clearly has a combination of speed, power, endurance and punch resistance that work for him. It may not be the body beautiful but he gets world class performance out of it.

Holler likes this.
  10. smiffyinoz

smiffyinoz Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    His biggest problem is in his head. Andy has scrambled his brain and he’s a sitting duck

truth_teller likes this.
  11. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I think a lot of people make a judgement on the aesthetics, rather than the performance...

Angler Andrew likes this.
  12. Malph

Mar 31, 2007
    Absolutely true.

13. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Bruno if anything got bigger and heavier as his career went on.

14. Malph

Mar 31, 2007
    So it sounds like we will see a smaller, possibly quicker Joshua.

His camp must have come to the conclusion being lighter and quicker would help against Ruiz.

Should be a great fight.

Holler likes this.
  15. truth_teller

truth_teller Member banned Full Member

Jun 4, 2019
    I have never seen Wlad gassed.