Will British PPV fights die out?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Bondy365, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Bondy365

Bondy365 Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2016
    With Fury promising retirement, does this spell the end for PPV? I can't think of too many fights that can still be made that the public would buy into.

I'd say Whytes value has plummeted after the Fury loss/exposure. I can't see any real fights that would generate PPV income after we have seen how far off world level he is.

Chisora has lost so many fights recently including a KO loss to Whyte and 2 defeats to Parker. I can't see any fight that people would buy into anymore for him.

AJ will likely fight Usyk next on PPV for which I have no issue. But if he loses this, he will have 3 defeats and no real quick route back to heavyweight belts. Will people still pay big money to watch AJ fight a helenius level fighter for no belt?

On the flip side, Warren has Dubois and Joyce who may have enough interest and potential to go further/claim a belt. But they're both quiet guys and poor self promoters who will struggle to attract the average casual fan.

I must admit, I thought there was a level of uncertainty with regards to how much Whyte had improved since the AJ defeat and was surprised at the level difference between him and Fury. I think seeing Whytes true level and then knowing the lights of Chisora are even lower will open the publics eyes to the Hearn spin thats regularly discussed on this forum. What fights would people still be willing to pay for?

AJ vs Wilder? Can't think of many others

2. FastLeft

FastLeft Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2022
    They will buy any rubbish.

DON1, Furey, Scissors and 2 others like this.
  3. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Nah there will always be a market for some over here.sav marshall and Eubanks jr coming to sky ppv this year.

4. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Especially when you think this year's olympians have had the quietest transition to pro ranks you could imagine. Fraser Clarke seems a good lad. But also limited. Ben Whitacker hasn't even turned over yet?

5. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    As long as the PPV Mugths keep buying, the Broadcasters, promoters and fighters will keep taking the mugths money.

Even pointless exhibition fights are Box Office these days along with youtubers and has beens such as Brook v Khan.

Parker v Joyce, Marshall v Shields both Box Office with Eubank Jnr and Conman Benn to follow soon.

Astro, rezzer and BrokerNYC like this.
  6. BrokerNYC

BrokerNYC Nottingham Full Member

Feb 8, 2021
    Matchroom will start shilling Conor Benn as the great saviour of British boxing and have him fight some Uber drivers on PPV soon...

Molina, Breazeale, Martin, and Takam have all been PPV in the UK :risas3:

rezzer likes this.
  7. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Is that set in stone? Regarding Parker v Joyce?

8. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    There's not a great deal of standout UK potential at the moment, I'm sure as soon as someone comes along who looks like they could go places, they'll be promoted and marketed to the drinking and sniffing football fans.

9. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Khan v Brook was PPV and people were genuinely excited about it. Plenty cash to be made in PPV yet.

Astro likes this.
  10. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Frank announced it on Sat before the Fury v Whyte fight

11. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Cheers

12. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Will it be PPV though?

13. The G-Man

The G-Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Thereā€™a sucker born every minute.

14. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Frank said clearly BT Sports Box Office - those dreaded two words at the end.

Scissors and tee_birch like this.
  15. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    It may be that there are some in this forum who complains about PPV but there are still plenty out there among ordinary people who are willing to pay. There is a huge market for PPV in the U.K.