Will Calzaghe retire after Kessler

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by THN, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Calzaghe's a bit like Hatton but doesn't spout on about his humility so much like Ricky does.

2. DanePugilist

DanePugilist God vs God - Death Angel Full Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Yes, he seems like a guy with his head screwed on just right.

I have almost always liked him as a boxer, but I like him now also on a personal level.

3. DanePugilist

Oct 14, 2006
    :lol: :lol: :lol: . Good one. After 3rd of November the english will call him Limey Mike.

4. DanePugilist

Oct 14, 2006
    Yeah, where you are born is the most important. Kessler is danish. The Danes taught him everything he knows, and thats why he is so good.:cool:

5. China_hand_Joe

China_hand_Joe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Sharing genes with someone is a better reason for supporting them than rooting for them based on the fluke location where they were born. Hence you want to see an English human win a fight with a Danish animal, like say a dog.

Another good reason for supporting a boxer is if they are facing a traitor like Mike.

6. DanePugilist

Oct 14, 2006
    Gene pools are the wrong way to go about it. A person could derive from 10s of nations down the ancestry. If you feel danish, born danish, then you are danish. If he feels more like a limey then peace with him, he has a english mother so its never treason nor would I care. I like Kessler because he is talented, a likeable person and knows the danish language pretty well.

Lets not argue about the english vs the danes. Its a battle you can't win.

7. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Everyone who gains a measure of wealth is going to have a nice home, some nice vehicles and other luxury items, but that's about where it ends for Calzaghe. He doesn't own a Ferrari to my best knowledge, I believe he drives a Jag Vanden Plas series and even when he's about, he's never wearing expensive designer clothes(not that there is anything wrong with that).

I have nothing against spending well earned wealth on nice things like you, I have plenty against parasitic materialism, to the point where it's a large part of the meaningless existence.

Joe still trains in that old gym, he'll hang out with the kids around town and he's generally just a modest Welshman who happens to be a phenominal boxer.

He deserves a lot of respect, it is not his fault that the best names avoided the prospect of fighting him, namely Ottke/Beyer on the Euro circuit and then the top named yanks. Look at how he jumped to face Kessler when they could not convince Taylor for 6 million dollar fight.

8. DanePugilist

Oct 14, 2006
    I feel like you misinterpreted my Ferrari statement. It was never a claim to say that Calzaghe wanna display his wealth.

I would likewise surround myself with things I like, if I could afford it, but I would never buy stuff just to gain social acceptance. Nor have I ever felt that JC was such a figure.

Nonetheless, thank you for giving me more insight into the being Calzaghe. He appears more and more to me as a good bloke. Nor do think that JC had anything to do with the match with Kessler has been this delayed. The time is right, the time is now. The Taylor thing is nothing I would blame JC nor FW. Taylor as we know is great reward vs risk.

But I do blame him for not trying to push FW further to the big fights and for failing to compromise.

9. satyriion

satyriion Member Full Member

Jan 10, 2006
    some scientist once made some genetic tracing of english ancestry and discovered that the english were higly filled with viking blood. So Kess is more english than a welsh italian.....HAHA.....

He will carry one or 2 goes no matter what. He says he is exited that he is fighting kess.

10. Fab2333

Fab2333 Needs to Get It 2Gether Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:thumbsup