Will Calzaghe versus Kessler be a flop?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by UndisputedUK, Jul 12, 2007.

1. UndisputedUK

UndisputedUK Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Will Calzaghe versus Kessler be a flop?

I know a lot of people want to see this fight, but I'm welsh and I'm not all that excited about it, it's missing something for me.

It's two undefeated champions, but neither are huge names in boxing.

It's going to be shown on Setanta, so I'm wondering how many will pay that subscription from outside of Wales?

It's not a Eubank v Benn, or Hatton versus Witter is it?

Perhaps I'll get up for it later, but at the moment, it's not stirring my imagination.

:-(

2. NOrth

NOrth Active Member Full Member

Oct 10, 2006
    It is to me. One fo the buiggest fights than can be made. The die hard fans amongst us have wanted this fight to take place over any other. This is Joes career defining fight, forget fighting an ageing Hopkins or a blown up Winky.

3. madpup

madpup Active Member Full Member

Apr 7, 2007
    IF you say that both of these guys are not huge names in boxing, you are not a big fan of boxing. This is a huge fight, and i am sure most die hard boxing fans are excited about it

4. steelem

steelem Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    well said this fight is HUGEEEEEE

5. China_hand_Joe

China_hand_Joe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Hatton - Witter is nothing\

6. The Machine

The Machine New Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2006
    I agree. Hatton-Witter does nothing for me, and id consider it a step back for the Hitman. He'd look poor and get frustrated against a guy who'd be unwilling to trade, it would make for a poor spectacle.
    Back to the point, the limited footage Ive seen of Kessler tells me Calzaghe-Kessler could be a great fight. The fact that theyre undefeated, and rarely been troubled in their whole career, gives intrigue to it as well.

7. theworm

theworm New Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2007
    i agree, nothing to e gained by hatton for fighting witter. calzaghe vs kessler, massive fight. just a shame its on ****ing setanta sport!

8. DamonD

DamonD Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Funny thing is, I don't expect this to be a classic fight no...

9. UndisputedUK

UndisputedUK Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Kessler looks a formidable opponent on paper. But what UK exposure has he had? Who is he? Does anyone outside of boxing know who he is?

It's a big purse for Calzaghe, but I still cannot see how this fight would make more money than Hatton against Witter.

Kessler could be exposed or could KO Calzaghe, same as Lacy fight. If Joe wins he has held all the belts, and must be the best 168lbs ever. I guess this is about pure boxing and fighting. No bad feeling, grudge match etc.

10. The taff

The taff Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2005
    Not a huge fight :huh 2 best supermiddles in the world?? What more could you want.

Its a very interesting fight IMO, Calzaghe is coming to the end of his career, Kessler in his prime-both unbeaten. All the belts on the line. I'm looking forward to it.

11. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai 3 year ESB vet. Full Member

Aug 18, 2005
    This is the FOTY for me. It is a massive fight. There is not another weight division in boxing in which the two undefeated champions are facing each other for unification. The fact it is at SMW, a very competitive weight class makes it massive.

12. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Since when?

Calzaghe's going to lay da smack down baby!

Or daaa slap down!

13. Boyd

Boyd Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2006
    guys. this fight will be huge all around. that's how it will be bigger than witter vs hatton. if you did a poll to see who wanted to see which fight it would be a landslide for the Calzaghe vs Kessler. on the main page anyway.

14. doddster

doddster New Member Full Member

May 18, 2007
    im going for kessler,but if joe wins he will undoubtedly be the greatest super middle ever to have lived.he will have nothing to prove.on saying that if he retired before fighting kess there would always be that ??? hanging over his career as lacey was the only true "big name"fighter on his resume.my heart is pounding thinking about this fight.:bbb

15. mmickyward

mmickyward Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Who cares if non boxing fans are happy with this.Let them watch beckham making a twat of himself instead. I think calzaghe has already defined his career.Undefeated in how many years? I fear for kessler the bigger the fight and hype the better joe performs