Will Chris Eubank Jr ever reach his potential?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by iamthegreatest, Jan 5, 2021.

1. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    Has all the qualities to become a World Champion. Just seems so inactive and his career lacks direction. Aside from BJS, Groves & DeGale, hasn't really fought anyone of note. He's 31 now, has had 31 fights, is ranked 4 in the world on BoxRec but just doesn't seem to be in contention for any title fights.

What's the deal? Could he ever become World Champ?

2. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Barring a brain transplant no.

Terry94 and kojak like this.
  3. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I think he has fulfilled his potential.

DON1, DJN16, velagod and 13 others like this.
  4. Hoddsey

Hoddsey New Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2020
    He's currently the interim champion for the WBA title at 160lbs - a title he should hopefully challenge for later this year, what with Canelo vacating - and I think it may be too late to reach his potential, but under Roy Jones Jr, I think he will definitely become a more intelligent fighter. As for his inactivity, I don't think he should've joined Al Haymon's stable. Somewhere like Matchroom would be far better for him, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  5. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    The not fighting for Warren or Hearn is down to the politics with the Dad.

Think I don't get, Smith is married or engaged to Eubanks daughter? So you would think he would have been able to get something done for Matchroom with Eubanks?

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    This. Euro and World interim is his level. Handspeed, chin and arrogance can only get you so far, now if Jr. had power and was elusive then it's a different matter.

7. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Only one real career highlight for me, a brutal stoppage of Yildrim, he followed that up by looking like a bit of a lost boy in with Groves and only came alive when Groves had one arm, still couldn't get him out of there. He then followed that up fighting corpses. Even if he wins a WBA title he's not World Title level, he's just fought a bum to get it, Murata, at 34, isn't a dangerous Middleweight.

8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He's actually "achieved" beyond his ability, due to his name. When you look at the money he's made and the ranking/titles he 'earned' in some well-timed bouts with some second-rate has-beens, he's fulfilled his potential and more.

He's simply not good at boxing.

Here's Johnny, DON1, channy and 6 others like this.
  9. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    There have been a lot of belt holders in boxing that haven't been close to the best in their division. Tony Bellew is probably one of the most recent British boxers I couldn't stand that managed to pick up a title. He was good, but not a great boxer. I think Chris Eubank Jr is a good, but not great boxer.

The one thing he has going for him is the fact that he takes care of himself, seemingly and is always in good shape. He might be ready when an opportunity arises.

I'm not sure what his potential is, but if he were to pick up a belt, I'd struggle to argue against the fact that he had reached his potential.

Twentyman, Wizbit1013 and kojak like this.
  10. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I think he showed his level against Groves as others have eluded to.

He was dropped twice and completely dominated by a shopworn 1 fight away from retirement Groves, who had to fight the 12th with one arm. Then afterwards what made it worse was that he tried to flex as if he had won, and it was a robbery.

If you cant get anywhere near to beating a shopworn 1 fight away from retirement Groves, then the chances of you becoming a genuine world champion are between slim and remote.

His father seems to be holding him back from taking a further L and being involved in the big fights it seems. He could have fought GGG for example but ducked that one. Senior was paranoid about facing any serious challenges in his own career, until he was old and looking to cash out, so it adds up.

Suspect.chin, PaddyGarcia and Momus like this.
  11. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Good but limited fighter, short of genuine world level who quite obviously got opportunities he would not have had if his surname was not Eubank Jr. Can 100% win a vacant belt though, if one becomes available. To me he's a top Euro level, fringe world level fighter.

He's had a strange career, earned very well but done little of note- as pointed our earlier his biggest achievement to date is knocking out Avni Yilderim.

As things stand he has become a bit of a forgotten man. No meaningful fight in 3 years. No fight at all in 2020.

His biggest mistake was not signing for Matchroom where there were several big domestic fights, for very good money at 168. He's a huge name in the UK and in normal circumstances sells out an arena against BJS, Ryder or Smith. He's a very good and very obvious fit to Matchrooms and Sky's UK operation and would have done extremely well financially out of that, whilst providing some really entertaining fights.

Instead he's on the shelf at PBC, training on a ranch in the middle of nowhere with no fight in sight.

Covid obviously has not helped his case at all, so who knows where he goes from here. I just get the feeling PBC don't really have a clear plan for him or his future.

12. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    He will fight Murata, and beat Murata. He will then be ordered to fight John Ryder, a fight he will lose.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  13. murphman22

murphman22 Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    He's with Haymon right? I'm not fan of Hearn/Sky and their focus on the PPV model (at the detriment of regular Sky boxing content) but if ever there was fighter that could sell a few PPVs it is Eubank on the Sky model. Hearn would give his right leg to be able to get a promotional deal with Eubank as he would do great PPV numbers with the casual Sky fanbase. Hearn is absolutely desperate for domestic PPV stars as well because outside the reported numbers suggest anything other than the heavyweights struggle to sell.

aaaaa likes this.
  14. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    He comes unstuck against boxers who can move but I think against anyone who does hold there feet a little, he will give them a good fight and make for an entertaining scrap.

Given the right fight he 'COULD' pick up a legit strap.... Caleb Truax is the prime example. He got Degale whilst he was on the slide and took the title off him before Degale avenged it. Eubank Jr leathered the corpse of Degale and would smash Truax to pieces.... so if he can get a similar touch but for a strap then he's in with a strong shout.

Twentyman likes this.
  15. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Surely the best is yet to come!

This content is protected

What a Pillock...

Sphillips likes this.