Will crolla now stop ducking flannagan?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by John-tha-dunce, Mar 26, 2017.

1. John-tha-dunce

John-tha-dunce Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Doesn't really have anywhere else to go imo.

2. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    I kind of agree, fight Flanagan or move up in weight, talk of a voluntary defence by burns if Ricky unifies so 2 options for me.

3. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Lol since when has fighting a better opponent for more money twice been a duck?

You should ask yourself when is Flanagan going to fight a top opponent instead of the crap Warren keeps feeding him.

Crolla can move up now and fight the winner from the Burns fight.

Sugar 88 and N17 like this.
  4. John-tha-dunce

Nov 24, 2016
    Fair enough dig there, but let's have it right flannagan has been looking for the fight for years. Crolla just hasn't wanted to know, for different reasons at different times. Yeah I get he didn't need Terry, i also believe he knows it's a loss .

5. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Flanaghans biggest payday and less risk than trying to go after lineras or garcia. Plus warren won't put up the money for a top fighter to come here.

6. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Eddie Hearn has been talking about moving up and fighting the Indongo-Burns winner. Not only would that be disgraceful (how could a LW get an automatic unification fight at LWW???) but it shows that they don't want the Flanagan fight. Last night's rematch was probably the most pointless and unnecessary rematch in boxing history. Instead of rematching Linares, they should have made the Flanagan fight after the first defeat.

Bensub and John-tha-dunce like this.
  7. On_The_Ropes

On_The_Ropes Active Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2016
    The problem with this fight being made is agreeing what platform the fight will be televised on. I can't see Eddie allowing it to take place on boxnation & I can't see Frank allowing Sky to show the fight, especially as their man is the current champion.

8. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    This thread is borderline ******ed and I like both guys.

Crolla has fought Perez twice, Barroso and Linares twice. I can't think of any fighter at lightweight right now who has taken on such a tough run of fights. Yet this apparently constitutes "ducking" a guy who has been fighting 42 year olds and featherweights.

On a serious note I get that Turbo is the president of the who needs him club and is having difficulty securing meaningful fights. But whilst the fight has been talked about by the fans for some time, there has never been any serious negotiation between the camps as one or the other has always had their hands full (both guys winning their titles in late 2015 then making their mandatories and then Crolla fighting the #1 in the division twice in a row). To accuse him of "ducking" Flanagan for no reason other than the fact they are from the same city and haven't fought is casual fanboyism in the extreme. It is also very disrespectful to a guy who has never ducked anyone and has made a career of winning fights he wasn't supposed to win.

Furey and N17 like this.
  9. John-tha-dunce

Nov 24, 2016
    Exactly. Moving up in weight was never mentioned beforehand. Now Terry is the only feasible fight available he's talking about moving up . So yeah "TKO" he is ducking him . End of

10. "TKO"

Jun 23, 2007
    Moving up was never mentioned beforehand. Jeez, maybe that was because he had the Linares fight to focus on. The arguable best fighter in the division (I think Garcia would beat him but he is at least #2) and a guy universally ranked higher than Terry. There is clearly an agenda at work when someone is slagging off a fighter for looking to fight the best and claiming he should have fought an inferior fighter instead (or at least one who is not as proven and is perceived to be inferior).

There are plenty of fights out there for Crolla, but the fact is that at this point there is no benefit to him to seeking to fight Terry Flanagan (even if the fight could be made, which would be very politically difficult given their promotional and TV allegiances) or any other lightweight title holder. Even if he wins, it is meaningless, he is never going to be considered a serious champion while Linares is in the same weight class. At least he could legitimately claim to be a champ if he won a belt a title 140 (though I personally reckon he's too small and doesn't have the power to have success up there).

If there was a serious offer on the table from Warren for the Flanagan fight then it might be worth considering for money alone as opposed to career reasons, but the fact is that as of now there isn't.

11. billo_billy

billo_billy Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 24, 2015
    It's common knowledge FW offered crolla a career high payday to fight flanagan.

All the bull**** aside. If two lightweight champions (former champs) who went to the same school, same area of the same city, if that fight can't be made then that's a perfect example of what's wrong with boxing.

Egos and bull**** interfering with these fights being made, and certain fans lap it up.

John-tha-dunce and CutThroatFade like this.
  12. billo_billy

billo_billy Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 24, 2015
    FW offered crolla £500k to fight terry, on sky sports.

13. "TKO"

Jun 23, 2007
    When? Since the Linares fight?

I would like to see the two of them fight as well as a fan, it would be a great occasion for the city of Manchester. But right now, for reasons I outlined above, it would be essentially a pointless move for Crolla from a purely career perspective.

14. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Not only this but he's also said many times that he is fine with the fight being broadcast on Sky. Eddie Hearn does not want this fight to take place. I don't even care much for Flanagan or Crolla, just pointing out the blatantly obvious duck. Especially if Crolla moves up.

15. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Flanagan, well according the Hearn they havent sold more than 500 tickets for his next fight, apparently they are shutting off half the arena.

Look at Crolla's last five fights and look at his purses and look at Flanagans.

How you can call fighting Linares back to back a "duck" of a man who two fights ago was fighting 43 year old Fana and going the distance is beyond me.

Sugar 88 likes this.