Will Floyd Mayweather stay around too long?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GoldenHulk, Sep 18, 2018.

1. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Now with this recent talk of a rematch with Manny Pacquiao, Im beginning too wonder if he's going down the same road as so many ATG fighters, and he'll end up losing that magic 0 on his record. If he can make 100 plus million dollars fighting someone, I can see the possibility happening. Floyd has made an unbelieveable amount of money, I don't know his financial situation, he certainly shouldn't ever have to fight again.
    i'm also thinking that since he already beat Canelo, and now that Canelo has beaten GGG, if that could finally set up a Mayweather vs GGG superfight?
    what are your thoughts?

2. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I never took his 'retirement' seriously. He's been retiring and unretiring for a decade now! Each time he did it, it was more like an extended break. And it always seemed a matter of when not if so I'm in no way surprised that he's planning his latest 'comeback'.

So, yes, I agree, he's almost bound to come back one too many times and lose his '0'.

He really shouldn't have any reason to return with the money he has made but I think he spends with impunity so sooner or later, he's going to have to balance the books (as absurd as that sounds).

He's playing a risky game. Sooner or later his luck will run out.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    GoldenHulk likes this.
  3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Not if he keeps fighting old people and 0-0 fighters.

he grant, GoldenHulk and Jel like this.
  4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    He's way too past it to fight GGG or Canelo now.

he grant likes this.
  5. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    It won't happen of course, but hypothetically, if Floyd came back and beat a GGG or Canelo, how much higher would he sky rocket on your ATG list?

6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    He'd blow the top off it. He is not a 160 fighter to begin with and he's way past it for seconds. He might beat some 160 bum but not the top fighters.

SambaKing1993 likes this.
  7. GlaukosTheHammer

GlaukosTheHammer Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Looks like it. Wouldn't be surprised if he lost to Pac. Not that I think Pac's any better position or shape or anything so much as the more times you roll dice the more likely you'll see snake eyes.

Jel likes this.
  8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    The way he burns through money, wasting it on super expensive unnecessary extravagances he's always going to come back to keep that lifestyle going.

Jel likes this.
  9. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    No, he loves his "0" far too much.

10. Ike-Man

Ike-Man Active Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
    If Floyd was to fight Canelo again they'd rob him mark my words.

Jay1990 likes this.
  11. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I can't think of a fight I'd less like to see than a May weather v pacman sequel tbh.

12. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    his zero is not magic. He handpicked and orchestrated it. Now he wants to fight Manny again after he took 6 years to fight him the first time.

13. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    He has already stayed around about 6 years too long for my liking. The only way I will have any respect for Floyd going forward is if he rematches Canelo (or maybe a Charlo). Fighting Manny again at this stage is totally pointless.