Will Fury’s weight loss be his downfall?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    It seems strange saying this as it’s the thing he’s done that deserves most praise. But I’ve just been sat here thinking I wonder if losing so much weight within the year is going to take its toll on the body in a gruelling fight?

red_roo likes this.
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    No.
    If he was getting into the ring at 350 pounds you'd be even more concerned.

lepinthehood likes this.
  3. jonny v

jonny v Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Won't be a gruelling fight Easy win for fury at a pace he controls

red_roo, channy and CutThroatFade like this.
  4. BigSmoke

BigSmoke New Member banned Full Member

Nov 26, 2018
    I think so.

Losing weight does take a lot of energy out of you and weaken you, and he's lost a pretty huge amount. Like if you are losing weight in they gym all your lifts drop off, even if you are only losing a small amount.

Personally I don't see this as an even matchup, I think Fury is seriously handicapped

5. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    He was 276 pounds against Seferi 6 months ago.
    He was 258 pounds against Pianeta 3 months ago.
    It looks like he never blew up at all after either of those fights.
    So, providing he's around 250-260, his body hasn't been stressed with much weight loss in the last 6 months.

6. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Wilder tends to fight at a slow pace anyway.

I think the whole fluctuating in weight concern is overrated. Maybe it would have an impact at lower weights where the weight cutting is extreme. I doubt it’s a factor at HW.

It might impact his longevity in boxing with the damage to his tendons etc, but for this fight I don’t see it being a factor. Tyson looks sharp.

7. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    This is only the case during weight loss.. That weight will be been off him now, he won't still be cutting weight in the final couple of weeks, no way. So his body will have recovered fine.

red_roo likes this.
  8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    His problem is the damage he might have done to his body through weight gain and inactivity, drinking, drugs and bad diet .... and whether he's had enough time to develop his athletic strengths and abilities, back to what they were. We don't actually know whether he's been holding himself back in training or whether he fears injury too much to train hard or whether he's tested himself properly. And really, it's largely the psychological toll, these self-doubts, that would generally effect a fighter in that position.

His weight has been quite stable for 6 months at least, so weight loss isn't the problem.

9. BigSmoke

Nov 26, 2018
    If you want to believe that, that's fine but you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

In elite level sports you cannot get away with what he's done in the last 3 years.

velagod likes this.
  10. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Nope it will make him harder to hit

Glenn McKrory likes this.
  11. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    The lack of PEDs will be

YearZero likes this.
  12. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Some of the greatest sportsman ever to live were complete wreckheads away from their sport, just look at the US crack head boxers of the eighties. Fury has natural talent in abundance and incredible self belief and at the very top level I believe this is what makes the difference.

13. BigSmoke

Nov 26, 2018
    it makes the difference against the average opposition he's been fighting

we are gonna see the crowning of another elite american champion on the weekend, you need more than a bit of herky jerky and self belief against that.

14. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    But most (maybe all) of those took all kinds of PEDs to get back on the horse. Screw hard work, use medication.
    Nowadays it's a lot harder to get away with that, certainly not the stuff they used and the amount.

YearZero likes this.
  15. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    I think the damage he did to his body in them years is the only possible reason he will lose the fight. I was worried about inactivity but before Wlad he had only had 2/3 fights in 2 years. Nobody can say for certain how anyone’s body will react to the damage. Everybody will be different and there will be endless variables.

If it wasn’t for the weight gain and drugs etc I think it’d be quite easy for Fury, maybe even with the poor opponents on the run in.

pow likes this.