Will Fury’s weight loss be his downfall?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Nov 26, 2018.

1. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    It made the difference against Klitschko. It was his confidence and superior boxing skills that won him that fight.

It doesn't matter how hard you train, there will always be that guy who comes along and makes it look easy.

2. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Like I said, with use of medication in most cases.

3. pow

Apr 26, 2014
    No, nothing to do with medication it's to do with natural ability/talent. People usually take PEDS because there simply not good enough to win without them.

4. BigSmoke

BigSmoke New Member banned Full Member

Nov 26, 2018
    ever notice how fury always looked like a bum right up until chisora 2/christian hamer fights?

Going life and death with USS, robbing mcdermott, getting dropped by pajkic and almost ko'd by firtha?

Then he gets way better all of a sudden

then got popped for 'lone

yeah i noticed that

YearZero and TonyHayers like this.
  5. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Yes, and then they win anyway.

6. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I have to admit this has always been a suspicion of mine. I don't know if it was just a change of tactics or whatever but Fury always looked to be a bit of a brawling mess at times. Then he had an eighteen month layoff with only that daft Abell fight after he fought Cunningham, before coming back against Chisora, Hammer and Klitschko looking like a different animal.

The subsequent drug test fail just adds more fuel to that fire if I'm being honest.

7. BigSmoke

BigSmoke New Member banned Full Member

Nov 26, 2018
    it's obvious they put him through more than one cycle at that point. his style changed but it a high energy style which is very hard to pull off for 12 whole rounds without losing pace.

If he hadn't been on anything he have slowed way down by round 8 of the klitschko fight and been taken out.

Look at BJS as another clear example, had truly awful stamina and almost lost to eubanks jr, then puts on a 12 round masterclass with no stamina issues vs lemule and then pops for a stamina enhancer

8. pow

Apr 26, 2014
    Your post is so full of inaccuracies it's hard to know where to start.

9. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    It looks spot on to me.

It's massively, massively suspicious that two guys who seem to have undergone considerable changes in both stamina and ability have both failed drug tests in and around the same period when their careers hit the peak. In fact, if anyone didn't find it suspicious I think you'd have to question their judgement.

Let's not forget Tyson's excuse was a 'tainted meat' story. I don't think anyone believes that.

10. pow

Apr 26, 2014
    They have both always had exceptional boxing ability and were both tipped when they were young by top trainers to go on and win world titles. Peter Fury's training focuses a lot on stamina and road work so it's no surprise both Fury's have excellent stamina.

11. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    i don't think so. it's not as if he's cut it all in a very short space of time, it's been a gradual process.

I think the main problem is going to be what he's done to his body in the past couple of years.

12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Nandrolone doesn't magically give you a boxing strategy.
    He boxed smart against Chisora in 2014, and was way improved from 2011 when they first fought.

Fury's improvements weren't "all of a sudden" in 2014.
    I thought he started to improve notceably around 2012, right after the Firtha and Pajkic fights.

Cunningham was a step up for Fury and he did okay.

Back in 1962-'63, Cassius Clay was getting dropped by Sonny Banks and Henry Cooper and struggled to win a 10 rounder with Doug Jones.
    Then suddenly he's beat Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson and a whole string of challengers.

Nandrolone never gave anyone a boxing brain and skills.

dryzer likes this.
  13. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I'm not so sure. I think not having fought a 'hard' 12 rounds since Wlad is what'll be the killer for him

14. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    It could be - i'm thinking when has a top ranked heavyweight ever dropped so much timber before? Has it ever happend? The likes of RJJ and Chris Byrd were never the same late in their careers when they cut weight.

The two things that might mitigate Furys weight trouble's - He's fairly young like it or not you can get away with more at a younger age. He's not late 30's when things start to decline for most pro fighters.

He's had a couple of warm ups - poor quality ones and to be honest I think he needed something slightly tougher but he has had a work out under the lights and his weight has been coming south for months.

15. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    On a seperate point, anyone know approximate UK ringwalk time? I've worked it out to be about 6:30/7am, but that seems a bit late?

EDIT: just realised they're supposedly fighting at 9PM US time, which would make it 5/5:30 am, which seems more realistic

pow likes this.