Will Tyson Fury win the sports BBC personality of the year 2020?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Mar 1, 2020.

1. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Yes it depends how you interpret things.

I would associate myself as Proletarian.

Some would claim my social status is such that I can only be working class.

I am working class according to your variant.

Some would suggest my wealth is such I am a variant of middle class.

2. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Dina Asher smith is not only a brilliant athlete, she actually has a great personality. Which is unusual, quite often with this misnamed award as the things which make the athlete good are nothing to do with their (lack of) personality..

For example, Nick Faldo, great golfer but hard to like when he was at his steely eyed peak.

Unforgiven, Jacko and TBooze like this.
  3. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Agreed, it should be named sportsperson of the year. And yes DAS is a superb athlete who deserves every credit she is given.

Also Tyson Fury deserves kudos for an amazing redemption story. He would in quite a few years be a very warm favourite, but unfortunately for him this is an (Summer) Olympic year, so he probably loses out, unless he can somehow get the third Wilder fight and Joshua in before years end and win them both well or with another brilliant narrative.

What I would say is that to win the award nowadays in the Olympic year is harder and thus more special...

Holler likes this.
  4. Belfast

Belfast Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Who cares its a load of old shite, but if I said all gypos are scummy thieving child molesters would Fury be a snowflake if he had a problem with that? I don't think so, you can't complain about your people being persecuted and then come off with the outright ghoulish statements he has in the last calli ng homosexuals paedophiles and women who have abortions child abusers. I sincerely hope his battle with mental illness has wised him up a bit and he can identify a bit more with a homosexual teenager afraid to come out because people will call him devils spawn and ends up committing suicide or something. He even said himself he couldn't admit to his mental illness because of the 'macho' culture he grew up in where it was only seen as a weakness .But I agree with everyone here, it's a joke award anyway and the BBC know a thing or two about child abuse

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I think we can safely say there won't be much sport this year.
    I really doubt the Olympics will take place. I expect an announcement of cancellation with the next couple of months.
    The BBC's silly SPOTY awards show will very possibly be scrapped.
    In theory, Fury's the leading candidate based on sporting achievement because he got in before everything went completely to ****.
    But we're already seeing a backlash with the old nandrolone case being dragged back into the spotlight.

6. ZiggerZagger

ZiggerZagger Active Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2012
    On that basis the 6/4 available on Tyson looks pretty tempting although still time for him to go off the rails or lose the 3rd fight which would probably scupper his chances.

Katie Taylor is now 2nd favourite and 4th favourite is a HORSE !!! So even if he did win it I think a lot of haters would still not give him credit and claim he only won it because the sporting year was decimated.

Unforgiven likes this.
  7. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Yeah, what's probably going to happen though (if SPOTY isn't completely cancelled) is that some obscure sports person will get (or has already got) coronavirus and will then come back, win some otherwise unremarkable tournament or race towards the end of the year and play the whole "I had coronavirus and came back to be a champion" story out for the media, becoming a sporting symbol of our 'epic national struggle of 2020'.

8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    ..... and it won't surprise me if it's Anthony Joshua !