Will Usyk vs Joshua be for the vacant lineal belt?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, Aug 16, 2022.

Yes or No

Poll closed Aug 19, 2022.
  1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    49.0%
  1. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    With Fury's so-called retirement, The Ring and TBRB have removed Fury as their champion and the vacancy will be filled (barring no draw or NC) by the winner in Saturday.

Do you guys think this fight should be counted as a fight for the lineal belt?

Fergy and sasto like this.
  2. Sooncreate3

Sooncreate3 Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Honestly, I don't see why not. Fury officially retired after consulting WBC and Ring Magazine. In addition, Usyk and Joshua are universally #1 and #2. Regarding Wilder, he's #3 in my opinion as he got stopped by Fury twice in a row where Joshua got outboxed by Usyk in the last fight but wiped out Pulev (considered a top 10 contender at the time) 2 fights ago.

sasto likes this.
  3. Rilz

Rilz Ball don't lie! Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Yeah. If the rightful owner has vacated it and announced retirement then this should absolutely determine the new lineal champ. Now that Fury is retired, this is either the #1 vs #2, or #1 vs #3 fighters.

Robney, Mickc and sasto like this.
  4. DaRealJT

DaRealJT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    Lineal =/= Ring Magazine

Fury may say he has retired but he currently still holds the WBC. Therefore he is still the lineal champion.

ikrasevic likes this.
  5. Kiwi Casual

Kiwi Casual Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Good point. Until that green strap is vacated he's not retired.

6. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Absolutely.

Fury has retired now.

AJ vs Usyk is the very clear top 2 in the division.

If Fury unretires, he needs to beat the winner to be considered the man again.

7. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    Can someone explain the difference to me, and back it up with logic.
    When Lewis retired as lineal champion it took 6 years and many fights to get a new lineal champion after Wladimir Klitschko Vs Ruslan Chagaev.
    Why would they now immediately get a new lineal champion without a single fight after Fury retired, if he retired at all? What has changed?

8. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Lineal means absolute jack ****. How the **** Fury got to keep that **** for years after retirement and then smacking around Beyonce 3 times is beyond me.

9. OldSchoolBoxing

OldSchoolBoxing Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2021
    I hope we don't see a 3rd Usyk vs Joshua fight. It started to become kinda boring.

I'd rather see Usyk vs Ruiz Jr.

10. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Yes, but even when a new lineage is created, it's capable of being extinguished by a better claim earlier in time. Like old title property law. So if Fury unretires again, he's the lineal champ. But if Fury stays retired, the lineage of the next lineal champ begins with the winner of AJ v Usyk.

11. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Even Anthony Joshua has said no.

Fury is the world champion. He was training with Joseph Parker TODAY, for God's sake.

People need to cool their jets.

DaRealJT and ButeTheBeast like this.
  12. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Isn’t the lineal Championship a fictional belt? I thought a new lineage was created if you beat the previous holder of it or someone becomes Undisputed. That means this can’t be for the Lineal belt.

I assume Usyk was lineal champion at Cruiserweight then.

13. Jennifer Love Hewitt

Jennifer Love Hewitt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    So if Lennox Lewis unretired, the day after Fury unretires, then Lennox is the lineal champ. If next, Zombie Marciano unretires, then Zombie Marciano is the lineal champion, unless of course, Zombie Gene Tunney decides to unretire.

lordlosh likes this.
  14. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Ring magazine being run by a bunch of morons at the moment.

Fury has defended the World title twice since Joshua and Usyk last stepped in the ring.

If Fury decides he's not retired anymore on Sunday, is Ring still going to recognize the Joshua-Usyk winner as the lineal champ?

They won't have fought anyone they haven't faced before .... and Fury will be active again.

Fury retires every year. Wait for someone to beat him. That person will be the new champ.

The Ring magazine staff are idiots.

15. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Yes, that's right. That's how old title property law works. A valid, earlier claim in time to the title prevails. A person has to actually assert their claim to the title though which Lennox never has or will. The Ring magazine title isn't the Lineal title. It's a magazine title owned by Golden Boy.

sasto likes this.