Willie Limond was Definately Robbed

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by AllyT, Jul 18, 2007.

1. AllyT

AllyT Active Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2004
    This content is protected

2. Strike

Strike Boxing Addict banned

Sep 14, 2004
    Was he **** robbed. Counts like that happen ALL the time. Look how long it took the ref to start counting Castillo against Hatton. There is usually about 2 seconds as the ref sends the man away and turns to start counting. Khan got up and then chose to take the knee....

He won fair and square, but Limond also showed his chin for what it is and I reckon Arthur would do him, and who knows maybe it will happen.

3. hopkinsfan07

hopkinsfan07 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
  4. AllyT

Oct 13, 2004
    That bout was not under BBBoC rules

5. Strike

Sep 14, 2004
    But you get the point surely?
    BBBC rules are not really any different from other boxing rules, squinting through the small print does not make much sense. If Khan had been told he could not go back down and take the knee he would have stayed standing. If the ref had started counting immediately he would still have got up before 10.

I can't believe you think Limond was robbed.

6. AllyT

Oct 13, 2004

This bout included a Mandatory 8 count and you are correct by dropping at 8 Khaqn showed that he was not ready to continue and the bout should have been stopped at that point. The fact that he failed to rise by 10 and subsequently failed to follow the refs instrucrtions only make this error more glaring.

7. albaneze

albaneze HAXHI - The new Champ Full Member

Jun 20, 2007
    I dont think he was robbed.

8. mike464

mike464 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    If it was the other way around Limond would have been stopped so in that sense it's not really fair.

9. Strike

Sep 14, 2004
    First of all the count cannot start until the other boxer is in a neutral corner, so that accounts for a delay immediately. Secondly regardless of what it says in regards to a time keeper, NO BBBC fight is EVER governed outside of the refs count.
    This is for one very simple reason, the downed fighter is responding to the ref. If the ref reaches 8 and he stands and then the time keeper says I got to ten and so the fight is stopped, it would be bedlam.

A fighter taking a knee will often wait before rising and he directly follows the refs count.

I am not criticising you for starting the thread at all, I just do not agree at all that Limond was robbed.

Here is the knockdown...

[yt]6bAZC9Wdk5Y[/yt]

Now look at which point Limond is sent to the neutral corner, it is around 2-3 seconds after Khan actually hits the canvas with Limond stumbling over him and into the near corner, he is then sent to the neutral corner and the count starts.
    Khan takes a knee and then gets up and it is well within 10 seconds. In fact Limond enters the neutral corner at 2:00 and the ref starts counting at just on this point. Khan is rising from his knee at 1:54 and fully stood at 1:53, making the count 7 seconds from the neutral corner necessity.

If we start counting from the moment Khan and Limond tumble down it is exactly 10 seconds, Khan hits the ground at 2:03, but Limond is not even close to being in a neutral corner, and so even by pushing the count to beginning at 2:02 when Limond is in the wrong corner but not stood over Khan the count is still only 9 seconds.

10. PrideOfWales

PrideOfWales Winston Zedmore Full Member

Apr 20, 2006
  11. Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks James 'Lights Out' Toney Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I think he was robbed too, Khan was not upright and ready to fight at the point the ref reaches the count of 10...so there's no argument.

12. Strike

Sep 14, 2004
    Erm...did you watch the video? He is upright with his gloves up at the count of 7. So there is no argument.

13. Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks James 'Lights Out' Toney Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    and then takes a knee again, and when the ref says ten he is not fully upright or steady. Or am I going crazy here? :huh

14. LeadLeftHook

LeadLeftHook Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 4, 2007

15. Strike

Sep 14, 2004
    You are indeed going crazy. Limond is sent to the corner with the clock at 2:00 and the count starts, Khan stands up at 1:59 as the ref counts, he takes a knee at 1:55 and stands back up at 1:54 and the ref stops counting at 1:52 and waves him forwards.

IF the ref had started counting before Limond was in the neutral corner at 2:01 he would still have been being waved forwards after 9 seconds. And he was on his feet after 7 seconds from that point.

If refs waved fights off when the fighter was up at 7 from hitting the ground and at 6 from the count starting, we would barely have seen any of the comebacks of recent years.

It is simply not a robbery.