Willie Pep - would his fans please justify his placement in their top all time lists

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by China_hand_Joe, Jul 16, 2007.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I can't beleive this thread has resurfaced.

2. Sizzle

Sizzle Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    JW: What do think of today’s fighters? Do you get a chance to watch any fights?

Jackie Graves: Yes, I get a chance to watch the fights on Friday nights (ESPN2’s Friday night fights), and I think a lot of them are bums. They have no heart. I don’t think they would even be able to be sparring partners of mine or Pep’s, or Del or Glen Flanagan’s. Some, but not most. I watch them and it makes me want to make a comeback. (We both start laughing). It really does. It makes me wonder what might have been if I’d be fighting today. Sometimes I get too excited watching the fights and I get up and start shadow boxing. Sometimes it’s too much for me. I still go into dreams about my fights. At night, and in the day. I wake up or I snap out of a daydream and I start shadow boxing. Sometimes they are so real too. Even today at my age I still dream about my fights…and other fighters too, like Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis. I’ll never quit dreaming about my boxing."

3. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2005
    :hey

4. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Yeah because he fought in the 40's and 50's, had over 200 fights, and is now deceased. Thats why he's perhaps the greatest of all time in your eyes.

A great fighter, no question about it. But not quite Pernell Whitaker in terms of all round ability "pound for pound".

5. Jd!

Jd! showthread.php?t=74250 Full Member

Aug 24, 2007
    apologies for resurfacing a thread that because of one "troll" lost its knowledge and insightfullness and became a bit of a farce, i'm just a really big (although new) fan of willie pep. I came across him not long before his death and have tried to read and see as much of him as i can - a true pleasure to watch and his achievements in the game are amongst the very best.

as i said apart from CHJ the debates and discussions are very interesting and incredibly well put together.

other than youtube (of which there aren't many) where is the best place to watch his fights? one in particulary is the famous Jackie Graves fight, as i'd love to see the round with no punch myself live. i've seen a clip in the Willie Pep P4P profile on youtube, but not the full fight or even the full round.

6. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    How about bollocks, you twat :good

7. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    ... And don't PM me either 'cause I won't reply.

8. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    Looks like you take a difference of a opinion rather personal. Its ok about the PM, and apoligies about the friendly message Manassa.

The forum is all about views and discussions on boxing, not about making enemies, well at least thats what I thought.

I speak to a few others via personal messaging. JT, Sweet Pea, Brooklyn among others. Looks like your "toys out the pram" response means you dont wanna join the group. No big deal to you, or me for that matter.

9. BITCH ASS

BITCH ASS "Too Fast" Full Member

Jul 10, 2006
    This is where your argument turns into complete crap.

Most of Pep's losses came during the time when he was fighting for nothing more than money.

He was passed his prime and nowhere near the fighter he once was.

10. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Don't look over the edge, it's a hell of a drop.

11. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004

:lol:

12. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    Manassa "Don't ever disagree with my greats from the 30's, 40's, and 50's"

Yeah, its a hell of a drop huh?. I wont look over I promise.

13. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    Get your dummy back in your mouth, your slavering again.

14. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    I'm not being childish, I just think you're a prat.

15. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    Im a prat. Because you hate your golden oldies getting knocked sideways. Hence, taking a difference of opinion "PERSONAL".

Lighten up, its only boxing.

Have a nice day, and enjoy the forum :bush