Winky gone crazy?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Danny, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Danny

Danny Guest

Just read on boxingtalk that Wright says he's willing to make 147lbs if a fight with De La Hoya was made. :lol:

Is this guy for real or what? No way on earth Wright makes Welter. Damn, I don't even think he could make 154lbs again, let alone a weight class below that!

2. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Winky is even less likely to make 147 than Oscar is.

As with everyone else, Winky wants to fight Oscar for the large payday, but I don't think he gets the fight with him.

He'll have to look elsewhere for a big money fight.

He should've taken it with a rematch with Taylor.

3. Shake

Shake Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2007
    Or he's just expressing how skeptical he is of Oscar making 147 again. =P inda fun way to do it, too.

4. Brickhaus

Brickhaus Packs the house Full Member

Mar 14, 2007
    That's my guess. Oscar looked like a skeleton just trying to make 154.

5. Marnoff

Marnoff Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 14, 2006
    No, he won't.

6. Marnoff

Marnoff Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Oscar wouldn't take this fight at any weight. Risk being humiliated... and for what?

7. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Winky will seek the name fights against over matched opponents, such as would be Oscar at this point. Don't expect to see Wright in with any top class hard hitting MW's, because it won't happen.

I could see him going to 154, I'd respect him for that, if he fought some top competition.

But please no more 'big name' circle jerking.

8. elTerrible

elTerrible TeamElite General Manager Full Member

May 24, 2006
    Hes sounding desperate for the DLH fight.

Its like the guy when he gets rejected by a girl resorts to begging. Its not going to work, so dont make it worse.

DLH will not fight him in a million years. Of course Winky wants the fight and wants it bad. EVERYONE in boxing wants that DLH fight. Its all about the $$$$

9. klion22

klion22 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 4, 2007
    He could make 154 for sure. But what else is new? Everyone wants to fight DLH because he's a guaranteed huge pay day. And in his post fight interview with Hopkins, he said he wants DLH and then he would retire. In other words, i will get my big pay day and then i CAN retire.

But there is no way DLH is stupid enough to get in the ring with Wright at 154 because DLH would get destroyed.

10. nervousxtian

nervousxtian Trolljegeren Full Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Winky could make 154, and maybe...maybe.. 147. He's looked awfully soft above 154.

11. klion22

Aug 4, 2007
    Yeah, at 170, he had looked flabby. At 160, he looked solid. But 154 is his best weight by far and he can make it if he wants to.

12. NoCoolFool?

NoCoolFool? Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2006
    It has nothing to do with De La Hoya not wanting to be "humiliated" or "destroyed"
    Fact is, Winky has never neither the fan base & cross over appeal to warrant even thinking of fighting De La Hoya. He has proven to be a boring fighter in an out of the ring. Name one thing he brings to the table to warrant being part of the cash cow? He has no belt, he has no fanbase, he has no appeal, he has no story. His last fight was a loss.
    And yes - he is too good of a boxer, doesn't risk anything in the ring, so he is not susceptible to getting knocked out.
    Who wants another boring 12 round decision?
    Winky doesn't have much time left...he should look at realistic options if he doesn't want to retire instead of wasting his time trying for the easy money.

13. charlievint

charlievint Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    THere aren't many that want to see a fight with Wright and DLH. It's just not a fan freindly fight. DLH wants a fight that will be exciting. Winky isn't exactly exciting. Plus Winky is a huge threat. He has the skills to beat DLH at 147, 154...whatever....of course DLH has all the skills and tools to beat Winky, but there is no reward for DLH to accept this fight.

Beating Winky will just be anther feather in his cap, loosing would cost more of his legacy. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing this fight but it's just not realistic that it's going to happen.

14. charlievint

charlievint Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    lol...DLH has and never will get destroyed by anyone. He is ALWAYS competitive against the best and he wins and looses against the worlds best...but again...it's ALWAYS competitive. I agree the fight won't happen but I don't know who would win at 154 or 147 it's a toss up.

15. klion22

Aug 4, 2007
    Winky will just beat the snot out of DLH. It might not be excited but it will be a clinic.