Winky Wright vs Roy Jones at jr.middle

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Cobra33, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Prime for prime.Jones fought at JR.middle for a couple of years before moving up.Who would win?I actually would pick Wright to beat Jones to his style.

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I understand where you're coming from with your pick; but I don't agree. I think if Jones fights the right fight, i've hit you now i've gone (but not that far) - which is actually a style more associated with Winky - he would decision Wright. But if Jones isn't entirely in the game or he tries to get to cute to soon, he Wright has a chance.

3. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Jones Jr by comfortable decision

4. Muchmoore

Muchmoore Guest

Jones by UD 8-4 or 9-3.

5. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I fail to see how Jones could possibly lose this one.

6. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Jones would be too fast & hit too hard. Winky would have been in for a long night. Jones by Decision.

7. Jose FM

Jose FM Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Well the question is prime for prime, but Jones at Jr.Middle? I would argue that Jones wasnt at his prime yet when he fought at Jr. Middle, but i really dont see anyone that would beat Jones in the middle divisions in his prime, so i pick Jones by wide UD.

8. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Some people sure have short memories! In his Prime Roy Jones Jr. was the best of the best in the world! His speed alone would keep Wright at bay. He would box circles around Wright and deliver punishing shots. Wright's defensive prowess would allow him to last the distance. But he didn't have the punch to hurt Jones. If Jones could fairly comfortabley beat Hopkins about that time, He would have little difficulty with Wright.

9. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007

From the first day he turned pro, Jones could have dealt with Winky, and rather easily, too.

By the middle of 1993, the 24 year-old Jones had captured his first major title by defeating Hopkins decisively. His record was 22-0 (20 Kos). He had been fighting pro for four years against opponents whose combined records totaled 447-166 (73 % winning) He had weighed in at between 155 and 164.

As of that same date, the 22 year-old Winky had yet to pick up a belt. His record was 20-0 (14 K0s). He had been fighting pro for two and a half years against opponents whose combined records totaled 136-123 (52 % winning). He had weighed in between at 148 and 155.

Winky's prime was probably in 2004 and 2005. At that point, Jones' prime (career) was over. In those years he suffered three consecutive defeats.

To get the weights to match, you have to move Roy back to mid 1993 and use the catchweight of 157. Move Winky ahead 11 years.

Jones still wins a VERY lopsided decision.

This content is protected

10. hopkinsfan07

hopkinsfan07 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
    i think Jones by UD he was to fast and to powerfull for winky wright

11. cuchulain

Jan 6, 2007
    Strange sentence, but I'll assume you meant: You really didn´t get the thread DID you?

The idea of the thread was a bit ambiguous

This content is protected

On the one hand it said prime for prime.

Then it said (paraphrasing) Who would win at jnr middle?( He actually fought TWO fights over 6 months at Jnr middle)

Jones was never at prime AND at junior middlewt at the same time. Therefore, the thread poses two incompatible questions.

I chose to try to address both of them (not at the same time).

What wasn't got?

12. cuchulain

Jan 6, 2007

I think it would be a closer fight than any of the ones I speculated about and definitely the way you interpreted the thread-question gives Winky his best chance of a victory over Jones.

13. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Jones already had the footwork, speed, angles, combinations, plenty of power, throwing a lot of punches (and willing it mix it up). Even for prime 154lb Wright it would be more than he could handle.

14. knockout

knockout Make my day Full Member

Feb 18, 2007
  15. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Jones via UD his speed would enable him to hit Winky more then any other boxer he's fought.