Witch fighter gets the most overrated on this forum?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Greb & Papke 707, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I wouldn't call world champion heavyweight boxers "bums" dude. You've gotten way too brave on these boards my friend.

2. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    So not only do you hate the Tyson fans, you hate Mike Tyson because in your eyes he faced "bums". Got it.

Johnny_B likes this.
  3. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    I’m done man:risas3:
    Every time I hop on here I get messages from you or some other Tyson fan boys, if you see my post about Tyson just ignore it. I really don’t like talking down this much on a fighter I like because of you guys. To answer your question Tyson did mainly face bums. I’m done responding

4. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I'm not exactly the world's biggest Tyson fan (he beat up my favorite fighter, past it or not). But I fully recognize the cyclonic brilliance of his prime. His attack was one of the most effective in boxing history, his defense is ridiculously underrated. In the 80s he was unstoppable.

I'm not convinced about the bums part, to me he didn't face too many more than practically any other ATG. He fought who was available, and if he took some warm up or cool down fights big deal, he shares that in common with a lot of greats, especially punchers.

No disrespect intended.

Johnny_B and Sangria like this.
  5. Eggman

Eggman "The cream of the crop! Nobody does it better! Full Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Both klits, povetkin, ggg, Mike Tyson, ike

6. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    If Tyson fought bums, then Foreman padded his record in both careers with washed up bums.

Do you remember Unforgiven? He visits the forum on occasions these days. But he always responds to Tyson threads and never has a good word to say. It's unreal. You guys are both good posters but I've never seen a fighter get so much heat for his abilities inside the ring.

7. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    I think the excessive criticism on Mike's 80s reign is particularly strange. He was great, period.

For the rest of the board (to give perspective) my favorite fighters by far are Holmes, Foreman, and Ali. And I consider them, Joe Louis, and Holyfield to be far greater fighters than Mike (from an overall perspective). 80s Mike would have given them all trouble, though I don't think he'd win prime for prime.

HolDat, Sangria and Noel857 like this.
  8. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    I believe Tyson at his best should be favored or at least even money against any heavyweight. I can't favor anyone over him. Ali, Bowe and Lewis might be even money with Liston, Holmes and Foreman slight dogs. Next tier is Louis, Holyfield, Vitali and Wlad.

I just can't favor anyone against the 80's Mike Tyson. He was a hybrid machine at his best. Liston and Foreman had power but Tyson had speed to go with it. Iron Mike, RJJ, Sweet Pea, Camacho, SR Leonard, Hagler, Holmes, Fenech...these were my guys growing up.

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    He was a h2h monster, no doubt. His whole approach made him a seemingly unstoppable force.

It's just my dumb opinion that I don't see Mike's style working on some opponents. It says a lot that Mike beat really good boxers like Tony Tucker and Tubbs along with punchers like Bruno in the 80s. He was effective across a pretty wide range of styles. I just think the five fighters I mentioned above would bring their absolute best in the ring with his, and their absolute best could foil his way of fighting. But that's just my opinion, I'm fully aware it seemed in the 80s that Mike was on his way to becoming the next Joe Louis. Whatever specifically derailed that is up for conjecture. He was sensational.

Noel857 likes this.
  10. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    George and joe louis deontay

11. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    The answer is easy. Tyson. Still a great fighter though.

12. boxingjunky

boxingjunky Member Full Member

Nov 8, 2020
    If you think Spinks, Holmes, Thomas, Holyfield, Lewis, Tubbs, Tucker , Bruno or Ruddock were bums you're either young or have little respect for boxers and their accomplishments. Very few boxers can say they have more than a couple legends on their record. Tyson has 4 on his record, beating 2 of them in his prime at least one of two losses being out of his prime. Legends(Spinks, Holmes, Holyfield, Lewis).

Sangria likes this.
  13. BELLERS

BELLERS Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Isn't that a contradiction ?

14. scandcb

scandcb Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Mayweather
    Marciano
    Canelo
    Pacquiao
    Holmes

15. scandcb

scandcb Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Mike Tyson is actually underrated these days.

Lennox Lewis is not overrated at all. He's rightly rated as a top 5 Heavyweight all time.