With respect to Hearns....

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by BITCH ASS, Sep 27, 2007.

1. sues2nd

sues2nd Fading into Bolivian... Full Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Well, Zertuche, NEVER fought a fighter like Hearns. Hearns was a tremendous boxer, who just HAPPENED to have one of the hardest punches P4P in boxing. With his jab, accuracy and power, he would have put Zertuche to sleep.

Pavlik doesnt have anywhere NEAR the fundamentals that Tommy had. footwork, movement, accuracy....THAT JAB! He is lightyears ahead of Pavlik in this right.

I know it probably gets lost in the fact that I think Taylor will win on points...but I do think Pavlik is a good fighter. He has VERY good power in both hands, a good chin, tremendous output and stamina...but that is about it (tho that is ALOT and will take him far...dont take me too literally with the "thats about it" thing.).

But to compare him to a fighter who proved his mettle vs other ATGs (Hagler, SRL, Benitez, Duran....I could keep going) is getting WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of yourself.

As good as Pavlik is in the strengths that he has, he is just as bad in his weaknesses.

2. BITCH ASS

BITCH ASS "Too Fast" Full Member

Jul 10, 2006
    :good

You really think Pavlik is a hype job though?

You know, even if Taylor beats him, you have to respect the fact that Taylor is a very good fighter.

I'd still pick Pavlik to beat all the other middleweight and then put a massacre on the supermiddleweight division, save a few fighters.

3. Executioner

Executioner Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2006
    That is a good, modest assessement. Well said

4. BITCH ASS

Jul 10, 2006
    IF Pavlik does beat Taylor and shows good boxing ability, will your opinion of him change?

BTW, against Zertuche, I too felt like Pavlik brawled too much and could have kept a flatfooted guy like that on the outside, took less punishment, and possibly won earlier.

It's hard to say though because Zertuche was determined as hell and took some monster punches to get inside.

5. sues2nd

Aug 7, 2004
    Again....this I agree with.

Pavlik is a good fighter...with some very good strengths...as well as some very big weaknesses. I think he is leaps and bounds above the other MWs not named Taylor. He IS the number 1 contender and deserves to be.

SMW, Calzaghe would point him by a wide margin...as would Kessler. I think he may have a good chance against many of the others.

But as much of a hype job he is not....he IS getting severly OVERRATED by many leading up to Sat.

6. BITCH ASS

Jul 10, 2006
    BTW, I don't say this to many people, but I do respect you as a poster.

7. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    OK then: Cuevas, Hill, Andries, Duran, Roldan, Schuler, Olijade, Benitez, Miller and Colbert...

All fighters who Tommy beat, who are on par or better than (as we speak) Pavlik.

8. Boinko

Boinko Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 2, 2004
    If this is an argument only about punching power, then the argument might hold more weight. It seems this has turned into an argument over whether Hearns was a better fighter than Pavlik, particularly at middleweight.
    Even if Pavlik is a better puncher at middleweight (a questionable claim), he certainly isn't Tommy Hearns. As time goes by, we'll see how good he ends up being, but I'm not going to start mentioning those two in the same sentence yet. Kelly has a long of work to do.

And as far as the original point regarding punching power, I'd rate Julian Jackson as a better puncher than both guys at middleweight.

9. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    I think Pavlik is far more skilled than Margo a good fighter not really a hype job but receiving way too much credit for beating a overrated crude slugger in Miranda. Most people in general fall for this, not really the case for you since you have talked up Pavlik for sometime now but a lot here right now have bought into it and jumped on the bandwagon. With Taylor even though I don't agree with all the decisions he has proven he can atleast compete with the elite.
    I respect Kelly and think he will become a great fighter but I just don't see him beating Taylor right now.

10. sues2nd

Aug 7, 2004
    Depends on how he does it.

If he avoids Taylor's jab well, dictates the pace...as well as where the fight is taking place (and Im not talking bull rushing Taylor and brawlinghim into a corner...Im talking using his jab, his movement and such to keep him where he wants to be...)...as well as shows he CAN box with Jermaine, not just overpower him....then yes.

If he just overpowers him, wears him down and eventually stops him. NO.

If either happens I will be thoroughly impressed.

But a fighter as fundamentally sound as Taylor (who has some of the best footwork in boxing...and YES I CAN back that statement up :lol: ), if he tries the first one...he will lose easily...and if he does the second, Taylor's strength's should negate that (jab, footwork, movement, etc.).

Hense why Im picking Taylor on points.

11. BITCH ASS

Jul 10, 2006

12. BITCH ASS

Jul 10, 2006

13. sues2nd

Aug 7, 2004
    Thanks bro....that means alot to hear.

14. SteveO

SteveO MSW Full Member

Feb 4, 2007
    It's got the potential to be a war. No draw. The 0 must go.

15. bachatu

bachatu Pro Full Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I think Hearns had enough gunpowder in that right hand of his to KO someone like Zertuche. Just think... Hearns knocked Roberto Duran the F out while he was standing up and fell like a brick face first in the second round.

Ive said it since I first saw Paul fight..he would be one of the few to bet on against Floyd. He would have such a height advantage plus his punch output is higher than any top contender in the division... Floyd's only chance would be win by KO and I don't think he possesses the physical ability, offense, or style to be able to get to Paul--Look at the reach difference advantage for Paul! It's like 10" reach advantage.