With respect to Hearns....

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by BITCH ASS, Sep 27, 2007.

1. jsimps

jsimps Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I am a huge Pavlik supporter for his abilities and due to him being a local guy, but with all due respect, it is way too early in Kelly's career to even mention his name in the same breath as Hearns.

2. Jorodz

Jorodz watching Gatti Ward 1... Full Member

Sep 8, 2007
    hmmm, not to be a dick but are we assuming Hearns is the hardest hitting middleweight of all time? He's probably in my top 3 (probably) and though he's the hardest hitting welter of all time (ahead of robinson) I think Julian Jackson and McClellan both hit harder at that weight. A better boxer? Certainly, Hearns is very underrated with an all time great jab. But once he moved up, he didn't have it as much. Just ask Barkely (yes, Barkely's a freak but if Benn can KO him, so should Hearns). I'm just saying, I don't think he's the pinancle and other middleweights (robinson, graziano, etc.) could hit harder

3. kg0208

kg0208 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 8, 2005
    I don't think Pavlik is similar to Hearns even slightly....as I stated before, Nunn was closer in skill level and ability to Hearns than any MW in recent memory IMO, just without the power.

Pavlik may very well hit harder than Hearns, who while still being a powerful puncher, he was not the strongest MW puncher ever. There are a # of guys who hit harder at that weight than Hearns, some of which may surprise you.

But I don't think Pavlik is the hardest punching MW ever either as both Nigel Benn and Gerald McClellan probably hit harder at MW.

4. sues2nd

sues2nd Fading into Bolivian... Full Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Oh of course.

Jackson is one of the hardest P4P punchers ever....let alone MW.

5. Shake

Shake Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2007
    I can detect one similarity in Hearns and Pavlik -- they've both got a great right straight.

Hearns also had a great jab, left hook up- and downstairs, movement and ring generalship.

Comparing Pavlik to Hearns is unfair to Pavlik and unwarranted, although he does have a better chin.

Pavlik is Pavlik, a promising challenger that will test the current champion of the world to his limits, and perhaps, beyond.

6. KhanB

KhanB Active Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2006
    With respect to Pavlik, who cares what Arum says? This is the same promoter who realized Mexican and White fighters bring more loyal fans than Black fighters. Sad but true. Maybe Arum has a business interest in being nice to Pavlik. I dont like Taylor but if were going to say that Pavlik hits harder than Hearns what does that say about McClellan and Jackson? Pavlik hasnt proven he hits harder than any of these guys yet and he damn sure cant box better than Hearns and doesnt have his speed so Hearns has the better punch IMO cuz you probably wont see it coming.

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I can't understand how you have Hearns punching bigger than Robinson at 147 but not 160. Hearns may not have retained durability at 160 but he still had some serious power. I myself would also rate Graziano under him in power at middle. You mention Benn which is fair, he's one big hitter but i wouldn't hold his hammering of Barkley against Tommy. Benn is a top puncher, great power.

8. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    To be honest i think hearns is the hardest 147 and 154 one punch hitter in history,the knockouts of cuevas and duran illustrate this clearly...How many DURABLE greats do you see taken out with one punch?
    Even at middle i think tommy was at least equal with any other middle in history,his one punch clean ten count ko over the very durable roldan and his hurting the titanium chinned hagler more than anybody else illustrate this...
    Jackson and benn were both devastating middleweight hitters,but no bigger than hearns and neither knocked out a great durable fighter with one shot...
    Mclleland was a big hitter,but remember he was basically a super middle/lt heavy when in the ring (thank the day before weigh ins to make historical comparisons difficult.) and again he never beat a great durable fighter with one punch....
    I just had to respond as the guys who saw hearns at the tail end of his career,or at supermiddle and above may not appreciate the kind of awesome firepower the hitman possessed at 147,154 and 160,and i feel this thread is very disrespectful to hearns' power at middle...Go youtube some of hearns prime years fights to see for yourself....

9. pit

pit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2004
    :think :good

not only that Arum has proven that he will say anything that put money in his pockets.