Without belts, I’m not 100% sold that Joshua Wilder sells out Wembley Stadium

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jan 9, 2022.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Raf (elusive2.0)
    If Joshua loses this rematch, he will have lost 3 of his last 5 fights. Deontay is coming off back-to-back losses as well, too. The fight will sell. But maybe not as much as it would’ve previously?

OldSchoolBoxing likes this.
  2. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I agree but it is a Moot point since the fight is never going to happen. Wilder spent his title reign fighting guys like Molina and Szpilka, and admittedly turned down truckloads of money for Joshua...he's not going to fight Joshua now.

In fact, Wilder is contemplating retirement according to Malik Scott. He is either going to retire, or crush a couple of cans and retire.

3. kostya by ko

kostya by ko Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Wilder missed a huge opportunity to cash out big or become a respected champion. Doh!

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Walking in the moonlight... lonely.. as always.. Full Member

Nov 12, 2021
    Their corpses sell 100%. Joshua vs Wilder was one of the most expected fights of last 10 years. They even pay now to watch battle of losers.

ikrasevic and JunlongXiFan like this.
  5. UmarIFLUmar

UmarIFLUmar Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 8, 2021
    It definitely does.

It's an amazing fight and even the most casual UK fan knows it.

6. UmarIFLUmar

UmarIFLUmar Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 8, 2021
    He probably made more from his Fury trilogy than he would fighting Joshua in the UK in fairness.

7. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Maybe a single Joshua fight against all 3 Fury fights.

There was a $100 million 3 fight deal on the table for Breazeale, Joshua and Joshua rematch, and there were reports it was even lifted to $120 million after he refused. The Breazeale fight was always going to happen anyway.
    Wouldn't surprise me if the DAZN/Joshua offer exceeded his entire career earnings, including the 3 Fury fights.

8. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    If Usyk knocks Joshua spark out it might be a harder fill. Fanboys die hard tho.

9. boxingfanatical

boxingfanatical Member Full Member

May 3, 2014
    I dont know. I feel if you take every single belt out of boxing right now, fights will sell just as much. In my opinion, nobody really cares about who is champion anymore because everyone is a champion now.

10. MeatFeastMan

MeatFeastMan Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 4, 2018
    AJ-Wilder does 2 million buys, with or without belts.

Wilder was mobbed when he came to the UK. He is more well-known in the UK than he is in his own country.

Also, AJ-Wilder is the most exciting fight in boxing, because someone WILL get knocked out guaranteed. People will buy it. It is exactly the fight the football hooligans want to see.

I have family members not usually too interested in boxing and you'll be surprised. They were talking about Wilder-Fury at Christmas. I never once brought the topic up myself, that says it all. We also went to a restaurant before the pandemic began and I recall some of my cousins talking about the first Wilder-Fury fight and the knockdown. I live in the UK, just to be clear. My Dad has also noticed Joshua exists and he hasn't watched boxing since the Mike Tyson era.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  11. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Amazing? In what way?

12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Nobody knows who Wilder is in the UK except sports fans.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  13. MeatFeastMan

MeatFeastMan Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 4, 2018
    And thankfully there's a lot of those. 60 million of them.

sasto, lordlosh and Furey like this.
  14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    60 million Brits have not been watching Wilder`s fights, many of them haven`t seen any of his fights.

15. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Wilder wouldn't fight Joshua in the first place. Let's be honest if Wilder fights again it will be the likes of Martin and Co.

Even without belts it would do well. The UK is a little more clued up on Boxing and Wilder is probably better known in the UK due to his KO reputation and his fights with Fury.

It's an easy sell as it's very unlikely to go the distance.

If Groves v Froch can do it I'm pretty sure two Heavies with KO power one of which with a large following in that country would do it.

ikrasevic, HellSpawn86 and lordlosh like this.