Without PED would Evander Holyfield have been as successul in the heavyweight division as was?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Unfortunately it was true. In the late 90's when Lou Duva visited my football coach he mentioned that most of the young guys wanted to take shortcuts in their training and that Holyfield despite his talent was too smart for his own good, since he would cut camps short and reduce his training plans because he figured at his level he knew exactly how much he needed to train.

Here is Holyfield's take on this matter in 1994, since he was aware of what some of his trainers and handlers thought about his work ethic at times.

"Back in 1987, when my licence was suspended due to heart problems, I came to the hospital for testing and everything checked out fine,' he said. 'But the older I got, it became more of a struggle each time I trained. Some people said I was lazy. I learned to never admit that I was tired, but deep down inside, I knew something was wrong. It got to the point where I couldn't hold my hands up. I'm happy in one way - at least I know what the problem is."
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ht-champion-retires-after-doctor-1372851.html

2. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Heart problems my arse, Holyfield's ticker was fine and dandy.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  3. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    The only problem with this statement is that steroids are very unpredictable and don't have the same level of effectiveness for everyone. I seen this first hand when I played high school football and college Basketball, but even in many other athletes that I've known personally from other sports, which included quite a few boxers. Also, every steroid comes with shortcomings, which is why guys have to stack several steroids in hope of achieving something close to their desired result, which doesn't always happen.

To make matters worse Boxing isn't like track, cycling, or swimming where you just have to be faster. Boxing has a lot of subtleties involved that packing on more size and messing with the cardiovascular system can hinder. A buddy of mine, who was a few years ahead of me trained with Haney and Hatfield around the same time Holyfield did and was being pressured by his football coach and team manager to put on size or be dropped, since he was a 6'3" 270 lb Nose Tackle, but they wanted him at 300+ and in less than 8 weeks. Haney and Hatfield succeeded in helping him put on the size, but later in his career he had similar nerve damage issues as Holyfield started showing signs of in his late 30's to early 40's.

mark ant likes this.
  4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Don Turner whom "trained "him for a few fights said he was better when he was "smaller".

Bonecrusher likes this.
  5. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    At 199 he wouldn`t have been able to take Tyson`s power and he was pretty slim in the Cooper fight when he was more or less flawed and in trouble during that bout and Cooper couldn`t punch with Tyson`s power.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    He looked really sluggish all during his bout v Moorer when he lost the title in listless fashion.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  7. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Lachbuster says bodyweight has no effect on punch resistance.

8. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    And you think it's because of a heart problem? Hahaha.

9. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    He took blows off Foreman and Bowe whilst weighing 205lb and 208lb, those two obviously couldn't break the skin of rice pudding......

Unforgiven likes this.
  10. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    As far as I know Evander never tested positive. This is about a part of his body building up and not about a test? He gained weight and worked out. I am not sure accusing someone of something without proof is fair to him. Of all the guy in boxing, he was probably the guy with the biggest heart.

Wass1985 likes this.
  11. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I have to add. I don't really like Evander's personality, but his fighting heart. When he was hurt with Bert Cooper, a smaller guy he hung in there when anyone else would have been out of there.

12. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Micheal Moorer did do the same after tbh.

13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    He got badly hurt by Bowe in their bout but then again he knocked out by the same man in there 3rd fight.

14. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Moorer was more of a flash being hurt, Evander was pretty much out of there. Not to compare being hurt, but Evander was out on his feet.. I remember Moorer sagged yet to me was not out of on his feet.

15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Thanks because this one is a confusing issue for me, little guys often get knocked out moving up, Loma doesn`t look like he can take a lightweight shot, Linares isn`t known as a puncher yet dropped the brilliant Ukranian, it`s very confusing.