Witter vs Harris - WBC Light Welterweight Title

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by stake501, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I meant Enzo might Improve Rees and make him less of a weak champion he appears to be at the moment. He hasn't beaten anyone better than Rees or M'Baye, Ajose's record Is full of journymen and competitive domestic level fighters. Enzo turned Macca from limited to skilled and he might make Rees less of a weaker looking champ.

Bradley Pryce Is a domestic warhorse who might give him a harder fight fully prepared, Ajose gets these good wins when the other guys unprepared.
    Exactly Ajose Is only a prospect still, you can't claim to be the best until you beat the best and he's not near world level yet even Ajose gets to world class.

2. Tuavale

Tuavale Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Witter and Harris both made weight and look fit.

3. ICE-MAN

ICE-MAN New Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2007
    You guys are in for a shock!! Just witnessed Junior's Final Work out a few days ago, I was gob smacked at how hard each shot was being smacked in on the pads. Never heard or seen anything like it. Every shot was like a bomb and you could feel and hear the power outside the ring. :bbb

He is looking a million dollars!! His physique is awesome and he's in great shape.

ALL THE BEST JUNIOR

Harris is going to get knocked spark out and i cant wait:hi:

Seriously devastating damage to be done

4. Tuavale

Tuavale Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I'm leaning Witter's way, too. I think Harris is a bit of a basket case.:rofl

5. pedrosuk

pedrosuk New Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Witter UD :verysad hope i can stay awake

6. ICE-MAN

ICE-MAN New Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Junior needs some one to pressure him and make him work and think. If Harris can do this then it will be a cracking fight.

7. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Rubbish Pryce was prepared. They made a mistake thinking they were calling an opponent in Ajose who was unprepared. Ajose trainer was not even able to come to the fight as he was stuck abroad. I have not exactly heard Pryce screaming for a rematch. Ajose is a prospect heading towards the world title all he needs is the opportunity.

Rees. Next you might make case that Rees might be a worthy challenger to Hatton.

8. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Rees ain't no worthy challenger to Hatton.

All Ajose needs Is a world class fighter to prove he's worthy to fight Witter or Hatton.

9. ron u.k.

ron u.k. Boxing Addict banned

Feb 14, 2006
    i know they are definitely keeping ajose out of the way of punchers.

10. stake501

stake501 Active Member Full Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Man...every light welter thread gets hijacked into an Ajose thread...

No body doubt that hes talented, but he has to beat some other contenders first before he gets a title shot (unless of course he signs up with Warren and then he can magic a shot from nowhere - see Rees).

Look at witter, he had to it the hard way, why shouldnt Ajose do it also, and believe me if he puts them away, he will get my full support for having a crack at a meaningful title.

With regards to tonight, I have the feeling it wont be the borefest that everyone predicts. Witter kinda knows he has top look good and Harris has to prove himself again after Maussa. I was originally going for Junior UD but now I am leaning towards a late KO for him.

11. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    A case of use your Wits?

WBC champ Witter may have to break the mould if he wants to get by Harris. British correspondent Andy “TKO” Houghton reports on an intriguing matchup from the Doncaster Dome.

Think of Guyana born warrior Vivian Harris and the phrase living on your wits seems rather apt. For a fighter who moved from his Guyana birthplace to start a new life in Brooklyn, N.Y. aged just 16, a meeting with a world champion is merely an occupational hazard rather than a genuine tribulation.

Harris’s up-and-down career has certainly had its fair share of those. After marking himself out as a prospect to watch with a string of early stoppage wins, Harris surrendered his 0 with an upset loss to veteran Ray Oliveira. Since then, his trials include being stabbed in a mugging-gone-wrong on the way to the gym, rebounding to shock Diobelys Hurtado for the vacant WBA belt, two trips to partisan Germany to defeat homeboy Oktay Urkal and an upset KO loss to Carlos Maussa. Having to use your wits, indeed.

In the built up to his shot at redemption against WBC champ Junior Witter, Harris has been uncharacteristically vocal. The 28-2-1(18) challenger has stated on numerous occasions that Witter’s awkward style and home advantage do not pose him any difficulties. He has even gone so far as to state that the counterpunching champ fights “like a coward”. A little piece of dry wit, if you like.

Looking at the bout under the right light, you can start to understand Harris’s confidence. At 29, he is five years younger than his opponent. Since the loss to Maussa, he has rebounded well, stopping former lightweight champ Stevie Johnston impressively and outpointing Marteze Logan. In his last bout, the lanky puncher won a close but unanimous decision over Mexican contender Juan Lazcano to earn his right to this shot.

The image of Harris being draped all over the canvas by huge underdog Maussa, however, is difficult to wipe out. And whilst there were the usual excuses for that anomaly (i.e. Harris overtrained, punched himself out going for the KO), it is not the first time the man known as “Vicious” has found himself on the canvas. The suspicion lingers that, if Witter can find the right punch, he could end up there once again. That feeling intensifies when you consider how limited Maussa looked in losing the belt to Ricky Hatton (TKO9) a few months later.

As for the champ, despite an eight-month absence from the ring since his last (and first) successful defence, stories from the gym are that he looks razor sharp in training. Whilst such tales have to be taken in context, the fact is Witter needs an impressive showing. Points wins over Andreas Kotelnik and Colin Lynes did not capture the imagination and, even whilst clearly outpointing Demarcus Corley for the title a year ago, the rather conservative style adopted by “The Hitter” reminded us of why he has never been a particularly big draw. In his last bout, Witter easily slapped around the overmatched and limited Arturo Morua until the bout was stopped in the ninth.

Stylewise, this is an awkward one for Witter. The champion likes to be able to counterpunch, but to dictate the pace of the fight. This tactic could easily prove his undoing against Harris, who boasts significant height and reach advantages and whose classic, one-two style will help to make the most of these. The challenger also boasts a mean right uppercut and if he is allowed to settle into his groove could start to dictate things.

For Witter, a 2-1 favourite at fight time, the need may be to force the pace. Simply put, in the manner of Sugar Ray Leonard against Thomas Hearns over 25 years ago, he may need to abandon his counterpunching principles and go after his foe with intentions. The 14-bout KO streak Witter put together in the aftermath of his only pro loss, to Zab Judah, suggests this is not beyond him. This, however, is a whole different level of opposition. Whilst Harris looked woefully short on gas against Maussa, the fact that he has been 12 rounds five times, and ten on 11 occasions, suggests a long fight will not cause him problems if need be. It may need to be, as Witter is hard to catch flush and, despite a couple of early career knockdowns, seems to take a reasonable enough shot when required to.

This bout has a bit of the “now or never” feel for Witter, who the big fights have eluded for most of his career. An impressive victory and he could finally become a marketable foe for Ricky Hatton, win, lose or draw against Floyd Mayweather. Welshman Gavin Rees has just won the WBA belt, whilst Paulie Malignaggi, Ricardo Torres or any of the outstanding welterweight crowd would also catapult him into the spotlight. For Harris, another defeat may mean he has nowhere to go at world level.

If Witter can get off to a fast start, hurt the challenger early and force him into his shell, he may be able to score himself a very impressive win. The longer the fight goes, though, the more I fancy Harris. Nevertheless, the suspicion here is that Witter will find a way, some way, to leave the ring with his belt intact. At this stage, though, simply to win maybe not quite enough.

12. Strike

Strike Boxing Addict banned

Sep 14, 2004
    I have never even seen Ajose fight and have nothing against him, but jesus I hope he gets KO'd soon, because I am so sick of seeing him brough up by Olu G.Rotmi on every ****ing thread.

13. Napuis

Napuis Straight talkin' mo'fuhha Full Member

May 12, 2007
    LOL 'showdown'.

Hatton v Mayweather is a showdown.

Hatton v Witter is a champion taking out a little thorn in his backside who isn't fit to be fighting at the same event, let alone against him.

Hatton KO Phillips, Tszyu, Oliveira, Castillo...taking on Mayweather, De La Hoya...Witter? Don't think so.

YOu need to beat better than Corley and perhaps Harris to get a shot at Britain's greatest in the prime of his career.

14. Boro chris

Boro chris Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Anyone know weather this is on the radio tonight?

15. Boro chris

Boro chris Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Thanks. And who is the delectable young lady acting as your avatar?