Wladimir Klitschko v.s Max Baer

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bad_Intentions, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    I'm guessing Baer's chin was never tested by somebody comparable to Klitschko, a large man with great athletic ability. IMO Baer wouldn't last too long. He was too much of a one-handed fighter.

ascended likes this.
  2. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    Baer never had to deal with a jab like Klitschko's. Not one that long anyway. I think Wlad's jab is much better than Carnera's. I can't see Baer finding a way past that jab. Baer has a good chin, but you can only ask so much of someone.

Klitschko by stoppage. How early depends on how often Baer presses.

3. Denny Cruser

Denny Cruser Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Klitschko by late TKO or by points

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Joe Louis landed everything but the kitchen sink on Baers chin for four rounds and still couldn't put him away (Baer took the count on one knee).

If you count the shots Baers chin took during that fight it is incredible. It averaged at just under 70 per round.

All I am saying is that Baer's chin was prety good.

red cobra likes this.
  5. JIm Broughton

JIm Broughton Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Vlad by KO within 8. Too many weapons for the one dimensional Baer who had a big right hand and not much else. Vlad would be on the lookout for it while landing jab after jab, something Baer did'nt have by the way, and using movement to offset Baer's power. Too much size and skill combined with a great trainer in Emmanuel Steward.

BCS8 likes this.
  6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Baer chin was not good enough to last more than 5 rounds vs Joe Louis. I think Wlad and Louis have comparable puching power. Baer was never a fighter that could walk though fire and pay the price to win. It was not in his nature. Unless Baer lands an unlikely bomb, the fight is Wlad's to loose.

Best guess, Wlad wins via 8th round TKO.

7. Sizzle

Sizzle Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    I think Wlad is very underrated in an all-time sense - His chin is weak, but he's been improving fight by fight and learning to turn his rocket-like jab into a superb defensive weapon (offense the best form of defense for Wlad).
    His ring strategy has also improved drastically, enabling him to improve his punch efficiency. The more sparing use of his right hand has worked wonders for him.

I'm no fan of Baer, but he was a tough competitor - I think It'd be one-sided for 8 or so rounds before Wlad put Baer away. Wlad was much faster, and his jab would be the key - I also feel he packs more power in his right. He's the sharper more efficient puncher.

8. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Is Klitschko's chin really that weak? Think about it. He may have been stopped three times but 75% of those stoppages were from fatigue and the other was a KO from a very brutal puncher.

And I agree, Baer didn't fight an opponent capable of generating a punch like Klitschko can throw. Louis was a great puncher but physics limits him at a level below the big Ukrainian.

9. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    It would depend on which Max Baer showed up. The out of shape clown who fought Braddock, the scared version who fought Joe Louis or the motivated, serious killer who fought Max Schmeling. If you think Corrie Sanders did a number on W.K., Baer would be devastating. If he knew he could hurt Wlad, you'd see that killer Baer version.

10. BOGART

BOGART Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I'd take Wlad in this one, actually pretty comfortably. Big difference is skill between the two. Wlad shoots sharp straight punches and uses his jab very well, always has not just Brewster II. Not many fighters can deal with Wlad by staying on the outside, he's too big and fast for that. You need to put pressure on him by getting inside and taking him out of his comfort zone. Baer is too limited to do that. Sure he has a big punch and could end the fight at any time, and that wouldn't be surprising, just unlikely.

Could Wlad stop him or would it go the distance. Louis is the only guy to stop Baer and he has earned his durable chin reputation. But to be honest, if Louis could do it so could Wlad. Joe Louis was the most complete offensive fighter in the history of heavyweight boxing. He is beautiful to watch. He has a few tools that Wlad has yet to show such as uppercuts and going to the body effectivly. But for sheer firepower coming at you I'd take Wlad everyday in that department. He's a huge man who knows how to use that size. He actually resembles a big Louis when he lets those hands go. Wlad just isn' t as complete as Joe. So I'd take Wlad to stop Baer within 8.

11. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Wlad would outbox Baer most of the fight then in the late rounds, when it's time to slug it out Baer would catch him and score the kayo. If lesser punchers have stopped Wlad. Baer would knock him out. Vitali could carry out the stategy most people are indicating, but not Wlad.

12. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Wlad, tko or wide UD

:bump

GALVATRON likes this.
  13. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Wlad has little chance against a real world title class puncher, when he has zero chance against a failed retired puncher.

14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Baer is tailor made for Wlad.

Small size and crude technique to allow Wlad to jab him to death from a distance and to wrap him up snugger than a ham sandwich in vacuum wrapped plastic up close. What's more, Baer didn't really have the fire to do-or-die in a vicious, all-out assault. His mediocre commitment in the ring and grandstanding ways would suit Wlad down to the bone.

The start of their match might be the most exciting part, if Baer could be bothered to try test Wlad's chin. I'm thinking the usual Wlad antidote to over-ambitious sluggers - a thunderous right hand straight down the pipe - would keep him honest. Then the fight would settle into a jab-jab-jab-Baer takes a swing - Wlad wraps him up -rythmn for as many rounds as it took for the outsize Ukrainian to decide that his prey was sufficiently defanged for him to risk a KO attempt. Baer might well make the distance, but God, he'd be a mess.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  15. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    :beer-toast1:Thank you for some much needed balance janitor.