Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Aug 18, 2009.

Who wins?

1. Wlad PTS

16 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Wlad KO

64 vote(s)
    59.8%
  3. Rocky KO

24 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. Rocky PTS

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. Draw

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Probably, but it shouldn't take anyone more than a few seconds of watching film to know that Dempsey was the better balanced of the two.

For all that it can be argued that Marciano was a more affective fighter.

2. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    The only area you can compare Dempsey and Marciano is as a puncher. In just about every other department Dempsey was superior. Both ATG hwt champions both with ATG attributes but Dempsey fought at a higher level technically.

3. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Marciano clearly had superior stamina, has provided proof that he carried his stamina later, certainly remained more concentrated and focused on fighting when he came to the title, and fought superior opposition.

SO, disagree.

4. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Dempsey was a very well trained athlete. He fought 15 solid rounds in blistering heat to beat Gibbons. Dempseys work rate early on in a bout was higher than Rocky so the issue you mansion may be a question of pacing rather than conditioning.

Dempsey did all he could to fight Wills. Wills stated himself that he laid not blame on Dempsey that the fight did not come off. Instead it was the promoter s and managers that prevented the bout from occurring which was very true.

5. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Yes, but after the first four Gibbons was in none of the danger Walcott was in the thirteenth of his contest with Marciano; Dempsey had good stamina, nobody has said otherwise. But Maricano's stamina appears superior on film.

:lol: No he didn't. I have no idea why you've said this out of the blue, but it's right up there with "the US did all it could in WWII". And again, it's nonsense.

He didn't go to Cuba to fight. He didn't go to France. He didn't tell his management "get me Wills or I retire". He didn't offer to fight Wills in London. He didn't go an organised campaign to up Wills as the man who should fight him next in the press, stressing that it would be safe.

He might, or might not have tried hard to fight Wills, but what you have said is untrue and very easily refutable.

6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    In resume, Marciano was superior... and that is the most important department.

7. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Again Wills himself stated years later that Dempsey was in no way responsible for the fight not coming off. The Man HIMSELF stated this as fact. Who are you to say otherwise?

Do you blame Ali for not fighting Foreman a second time? I don't.

Fighters fight and let their managers and promoters set up bouts. Just the fact that Dempsey TRIED to set up a bout with Wills and signed to fight him at least twice perhaps three times shows he went WAY WAY out of of his way to try to make the bout occur. He tried to circumvent the powers that be to make the bout happen but all for naught. just the simple fact that a fighter ANY FIGHTER stepped forward to physically make a bout occur that was not going to happen otherwise is worthy of great praise not ridicule. The PROOF is within the words of Wills years later. He stated he knew Dempsey had nothing to do with his title shot not occurring. This statement ends all debates.

8. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I HAVEN'T said otherwise. This exchanges is two posts old. How can you already be confused?

YOU said that "Dempsey did all he could to fight Wills."

I said that he did not - now you're saying that I said that Dempsey was responsible for the fight not coming off.

Why do you think the two even follow?

9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Did Lewis ever miss a punch by several feet and fall over on his face as a result of it?
    Marciano was pitcher, not a batter I read. His arm went on him.

10. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    Aside from the fact that is always easier for a lumbering giant to look somewhat clumsy than a short compact guy in ANY walk of life,not just sport.

Lewis didn't have worse balance than Marciano.

Show me a 6' 5" 240 lb Fred Astaire and I'll show you a freak.

11. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Fighters miss punches all the time. Its not always down to having bad balance.

Lewis was tripping over his own feet against Tony Tucker and Bruno.

When did Rocky fall flat on his face?

12. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Have a look on You Tube.
    Do you think Marciano purposely targeted arms ? He was very inaccurate with his shots.

A sign of good balance is when you miss you are still in a position to protect yourself.
    Check out Marvin Hagler, Jose Napoles,Don Curry ,Ray Leonard,Billy Conn.

Marciano had very bad balance which, given his short centre of gravity is curious.

JC40 likes this.
  13. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Yeah, against Who?
    Yeah, to bring down his opponents guard. Kovalev does it today.
    You don't have to be lesser than those guys to be labelled with having terrible balance. Im looking at him and it was nowhere near terrible.
    You don't become a volume puncher with terrible balance as that is the major component needed to string a long succession of punches together.
    And Marciano was one of the best attrition fighters in history.

14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Crumbs, is this thread STILL alive?

15. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Yet he still managed to find his target and knockout every ring magazine top 10 contender he ever faced and recorded 6 knockouts over first ballot hall of famers

Jack Dempsey never proved his "exceptional" balance against elite fighters like Marciano did

Dempsey is an unproven commodity

Jackomano likes this.