Wladimir's signature win?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Oddone, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    It's probably Haye or Povetkin that's closest to one.. like i said. But what is a signature win really though? I don't think he has that stand out career defining opponent necessarily, but thinking about it there are many great fighters that don't in fact.. I sort of look at Vladimir like I do at Michalkzewski, a dominant long reigning champion that consistently beat very solid opposition.. his 3 best wins for me are Byrd, Povetkin & Haye.. all where in their prime too. Now considering what AP went on to do both before & after Vlad beat him, how highly regarded Byrd is & how Haye was viewed as this loudmouth big punching upstart that was going to chin check the 'stiff' they're not a bad set of wins to have. I know haye gets his **** but at his peak he was a very dangerous fighter, explosive, quick and moved really well too (this was clearly demonstrated against the likes of Chisora & Wlad..) & all three were talented amateurs too. Throw in Peter x2, Thompson x2, Byrd x2, Iggy, Pulev, Chagaev, Brewster, Brock, Botha, Schultz, Mercer, Rahman, McCline etc.. Klitschko earned his stripes whether you're a fan or not.

2. wutang

wutang Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2012
    I think it was at that point the public started to have belief in him

3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
  4. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Am I the only one who never thought too highly of Haye? Don't get me wrong, he was highly talented, but the assumption that he was one of the greatest CW's never made sense to me. Those accolades seem based on what in reality is, a couple of wins. He was even lesser as a HW contender.

5. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    You’re not the only one. I was waiting for someone to expose him for the Walking Napoleon Complex he was.

Sure he has an injury excuse for that as well.

Explosive counterpuncher at CW he didn’t seem to as aggressive in his HW opponent selection. His opponents in the heavyweight division usually were suspect.

Monte Barrett was 37 when Haye knocked him out in five rounds. John Ruiz was 38 when stopped in the ninth. Audley Harrison was 39.

Yeah he grabbed a piece of the HW title from that seven foot monster but never built on it.

6. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    I recall many here calling him one of the greatest CW's ever. He beat Enzo and Mormeck at CW. :lol: Hella talented, great physical specimen, but lacked the "it" factor to be a great champion.