CLOSED: WM's Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by WonderMonkey, Dec 4, 2017.

1. WonderMonkey

WonderMonkey New Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Tomorrow I'm going to add additional training to what I'm doing with boxing. I've designed a program that gives me benefits for fat-burning, cardio, increased muscle, and imbalance correction. It's very tough to do all those at once so there are focuses for sure. While I always want to increase muscle mass I'm doing it in functional sort of way. At the onset of a program and coming off a multi-year injury, just about anything I do will lead to a muscle mass increase as long as my nutrition and recovery is adequate. I'm only going to do a few sets of everything, at moderate intensity, to see how things hold up. Over a few weeks I'll ramp it up as I'm able.

My real goal here is to achieve a sustainable level of health. That includes a reality bodyfat %, good eating habits, and a level of cardiovascular fitness. One very important component of this is boxing, and I'll do those workouts in addition to these other sessions.

2. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    For those that are interested, here is today's workout. I've got three designed and this one is a blend of strength and conditioning. As my body gets used to this activity I will change it but for now it's decent as a starter.

#1 strength/ conditioning
    Rolling/Active stretching
    Warm up- 10 m treadmill

2 rounds, 2 minutes non-stop, 2 minutes rest
    Kettlebell swing x10
    Upright row x10

2 rounds, 2 minutes non-stop, 2 minutes rest
    Air squats x 15
    Glute bridge x15

15 m round, (cardio set)
    200 yds rower
    15 curls

200 yds rower
    15 tricep dips

200 yds rower
    15 rows/ pulldowna

200 yds rower
    15 push ups,

Finisher
    50 shoulder press
    50 leg extension
    50 in+outs (knees) ab set
    50 tricep pushdowns

3. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    After the above, I went to the gym I work on boxing and worked on nothing but jab and some cross. I'm very tired.

4. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Boxing fitness class this morning. When I participate in these classes I don't do the hurried reps to get the numbers. I focus on doing them as fast as possible and still keep decent form. I feel if I do generic fitness form I'm undoing some of the habits I'm trying to form.

Also, the class kicked my butt this morning. I'm whipped.

5. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    I face a new challenge in my exercise journey. Previously my leg/calf was an issue, but that is now "manageable." Then, because of increase workouts, my back said: "Woah hoss, what do you think YOU are doing?", but that is also "manageable." Now, my cardiovascular capacity is the problem.

Imagine sitting on the couch for almost two years and then trying to engage in exercise that taxes your cardio. That's what I'm doing. Sure, I've had little exercise starts and stops for a week at a time, but nothing that would carry over to now.

And it hurts.

If I was just to do a generic weightlifting workout, then that is merely initial soreness and effort type pain, that would be far easier. Doing a "bit of cardio" on my own would be a bit more painful but just a little. Engaging in a class environment like fitness boxing is just ..... painful. Effort type painful. For me, it's way different than grueling through sets of squats, which I kind of enjoy. Sucking wind to get through "whatever" is the worst kind of exercise pain, to me.

I've also found that my back starts to give me issues as I get winded. I think it's because my form goes away and my body starts to compensate all over the place. I think the only way out of that is to keep working fitness from the various angles and as my cardiovascular capabilities improve, so will the parts of my body that get angry with me for even trying.

Assuming I can keep going to my M-W-F cardio based mornings, and doing my T-Th-Sat other workouts, I should incrementally improve. My "back to zero" point will be if I can get through the cardio workout without having to pause and either stretch out my back or just wait for the black spots to disappear from my vision.

So .... pain to follow slash continue.

6. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Shadowboxed for 15 minutes, working on different sequences. Incorporated some defense. That felt awkward as those movements are fairly new to me.

Then went and did the below, which was tough.

#2 strength

Warm up- 10 m AMRAP
    100 waves battle rope
    20 split squat (10 each) elevate rear foot if needed)
    10 v-ups
    Repeat for 10m

Three sets of …..
    Upper- DB preacher curl 3x10 each arm,
    Lower- hamstring curl machine 3 x 15
    Ab- straight leg lifts 3 x 20
    Rotate through all 3 exercises 3x

Upper- single arm skull crusher 3x 10 each
    Lower- TRX pistol squat 3x 10 each
    Ab- weighted Russian Twists x 50

Upper - wide grip lat pulldown 3 x 12
    Lower- dumbbell goblet squat 3 x 12
    Ab- one minute plank

Finisher 100 reps on barbell bench just the bar
    100 reps of standing calf raise

7. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    #3 warm up on bike rower 10 min
    100m cardio and 10 reps of squat curl press
    200 meter cardio and 20 reps of push-ups
    300 M of cardio and 30 reps of dumbbell row 15 each arm
    400 M cardio and 40 sit-ups
    500 M of cardio and 50 squats
    600m cardio and 60 lateral shoulder raises
    700 cardio and 70 crunches
    800-meter cardio and 80 bench dips
    900 m cardio and 90 donkey calf raises
    1000 meter cardio and 100 wall ball.

8. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    I do my fitness boxing classes and work with my coach, but I give priority to moving towards a healthier bodyfat %, increasing my cardiovascular fitness, etc.

#3 warm up on bike rower or treadmill 10 minutes

Cardio equipment can be served between rower or bike

100m cardio and 10 reps of squat curl press
    200 meter cardio and 20 reps of push-ups
    300 M of cardio and 30 reps of dumbbell row 15 each arm
    400 M cardio and 40 sit-ups
    500 M of cardio and 50 squats
    600m cardio and 60 lateral shoulder raises
    700 cardio and 70 crunches
    800-meter cardio and 80 bench dips
    900 m cardio and 90 donkey calf raises
    1000 meter cardio and 100 wall ball.

radupidu likes this.
  9. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Today was back to basics boxing and we worked slipping jab and cross and countering.

greynotsoold likes this.
  10. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Worked more on defense and counters. Right now we are sticking with some basics until it's not clunky, then work a few extra counters from them. I have counters that feel natural to me but we are starting on others.

11. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Today is the first time I really let loose. As I've mentioned I've been fighting some calf/leg and back issues. Incremental improvements in conditioning and a proper program have, over time, helped greatly. Though my cardio fitness held me back, when I was working mitts or the bag I worked freely. It felt great, though now I am very tired. At the end of the session I went over and did 500 straights, 500 hooks, and 500 uppercuts. I did focus on decent form but I went more for finishing the session very tired.

12. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    A good counter to start with is the straight right hand to the heart under a left jab. It is a natural counter, takes away an opponents jab, and you can close distance behind it.

You accomplish it by simply throwing a right as he jabs. You need to learn that the motions you make to slip are the exact same as punching motions; the way the weight shifts on your feet, shoulders turn. An outside slip is the same as a left hook just as the inside slip is the same as a right hand. Makes it flow to then string combinations together though I recommend mastering the slip and first punch before trying for more.

WonderMonkey likes this.
  13. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    We are starting with a left hook to counter the cross and a cross to counter the jab. I'm sure we could have picked any number of things but that is what we are doing. Once I get comfy with these we will add in more. The order they are added in isn't probably a big deal as long as we do the basic ones in due time.

14. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Added some speed and variability to the defensive work. Basically reactionary and a bit of pressure by coach. It's easy to overthink and work yourself into confusion. I find I react WAY better during sparring, but I know that working on what we did today will only make me better, especially as I get more used to it.

Incremental progress.

15. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Small milestone for me. I had 239 lbs on the scale this morning. Sure, it could be a water weight issue and tomorrow I'm back above it but regardless this weekend it will become real. So .... I wrote a little goodbye letter to 240 lbs.

Dear 240lbs,

I have found someone else. Though you have been replaced by 239lbs that is only temporary as well. 239lbs is just being used. A stepping stone.

We have been together on and off again for many years. Though we have had fun together, I’m not going to miss you at all. Now don’t try to get me back, it just won’t work. No standing outside the donut shop beckoning me to come in “just to talk.” I know that trick. No disguising the container of carrots as a family-sized bag of pizza rolls, I fell for that too many times!

240lbs, it is best for both of us that we part. I’m no good for you, and you certainly are not good for me.

I remember when we met, do you recall that moment all those years ago? I was steadily seeing 238lbs and then I had that large portion of lasagna and HELLO THERE 240lbs! And though I’ve strayed from you with 250lbs, 260lbs, 270lbs, 280lbs, and even heavier siblings I always seem to find myself back with you, 240lbs.

But no more. Be gone. Off with you. I banish you and all your older siblings. If you try to contact me, I won’t respond.

Regards,
    Mike