CLOSED: WM's Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by WonderMonkey, Dec 4, 2017.

1. WonderMonkey

WonderMonkey New Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Worked technique on hooks today and also worked called out combos on the mitts.

2. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Standard fitness boxing class today, though as I normally say I go slow enough to work on technique and not just flail about.

3. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Today's session was terrible. No energy, no focus, no drive to do anything. The only real positive is that I was in there.

4. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Took the video camera today to film. Got it going and then when I went to turn it off it was already off. Battery was dead. I caught about 10 seconds of actual work.

5. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
  6. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Given the date being set for the fight night, and the increased use of my calf/leg without provoking things, I'm going to slowly ramp up things to be able to do movements at full speed. I'm not going to QUICKLY ramp things up as I don't want a setback, but I'll consistently get to a level, stay there, then push on when I feel it is safe.

Right now the extent is a slow jog, easy jumping jacks, and ring movement work. I know I should get to the point where I can put my time in on the jump rope, and multiple three-minute full go sessions on the bag. That's not even including sparring, etc.

7. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Haven't posted in a while. Got a definite date for the exhibition boxing that I'll be taking part in. I spoke to a few of the boxing instructors/coaches and picked one that I'll use for individual work. In the next week I'll meet with him and we will put together a rough plan that leads up to the fight.

I chose this particular coach because during a mitts workout class I noticed he was able to quickly see what was going on and gave practical and relatable fixes. I spoke to him here and there about the differences between running a focused quasi-exercise class and actual fight training and I like what I heard.

So .... I'm going to write up an "About Me" thing so he can read it on his own time, and then we will go forward.

greynotsoold likes this.
  8. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Though I haven't posted much I'm continuing my training. This past week I went back to the absolute basics to clean up some bad habits I've picked up. Doing fitness boxing almost creates bad habits due to the nature of the beast. You are trying to do reps with as good of form as possible but it's too easy to get sloppy and then reinforce it. I've made an agreement with the fitness instructors that I'm going to work my form and if I don't get the reps they are calling out then I really am not concerned. They are ok with it, as I figured they would be.

I step too far when I jab then cross and it's difficult to string together 2's and 4's. I do a 1, 2 and then my next 1, 2 is terrible because my lower half isn't right.

9. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The 'step' when you jab is a push off the rear foot. When you slide the left foot forward with the jab, slide the right foot forward with the right hand.

10. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    Agreed. My stance was too wide which resulted in my step being also a bit long which made it difficult to get back into that proper position to do the next sequence. In the end I was bound up and it looked like I was lunging. They kept telling me that and I kept thinking I was working on it but not until they flimed it and showed me did it drive home. I'm filming things now but I think I'll do it more often.

greynotsoold likes this.
  11. WonderMonkey

Nov 21, 2017
    This training log is closed.