Womens Boxing

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Noel857, Nov 17, 2020.

1. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    It’s not archaic to think women’s boxing is garbage. It is. You got a couple of fun fights during lockdown. Great. The quality was still diabolical. You might as well be watching area title fights, they’re just as fun and you’re significantly more likely to get a KO.

That card at the weekend was shite as well. It’s going to get in the way of men’s boxing soon because it’s cheaper to put on.

Here's Johnny, PatCash and Safin like this.
  2. Felix Sanchez

Felix Sanchez Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    They really lack the power to end a fight or turn a fight on its head with one punch, which is what makes boxing a great sport. Should a top female emerge in the UK who can do that at the top level, they could be a big crossover star.

3. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Women's boxing is still light years behind that and it's nothing to do with giving them a chance or getting them more exposure, it's basic biology. Half decent 14 year-old boys in gyms up and down the country would flatten Katie Taylor or Terri Harper without breaking a sweat and that's just reality.

Just look at the USA women's football team. Head and shoulders the best and most dominant women's team ever and they got thrashed by Dallas under 15's. The greatest women's football team of all time got hammered by a bunch of 14 year-olds who will be many, many levels below the standard we have in the academies here even in lower leagues.

That's why people generally don't want to watch women's sports, certainly not when it's put along side the men anyway. It just isn't very good and no amount of brainwashing or virtue signalling about equality and all that rollox will make me ignore the objective reality that I can see with my own two eyes.

4. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    They wanted to pop a rating and they did so- not much more to say than that really. If all women’s boxing is on the Matchroom YouTube channel going forward then that can only be a good thing for those on the card.

5. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    3 minute rounds can change that, I really think women's boxing would benefit from that extra minute, think how different history would be if all rounds were 2 minutes.

6. Felix Sanchez

Felix Sanchez Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I agree that there definitely needs to be a switch to 3 minute rounds. I don't think it changes that ability for fight to turn on its head any minute, but it would definitely improve it as a spectacle.

7. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Why? So they can elbow men out of cards and so your daughter can get her head bashed in by roider butches at the local gym when she takes up the sport after being inspired by the liberation of women from being women?

8. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    why are you surprised? britain is packed full of misogynists, bigots and racists, this board only reflects that.

rezzer likes this.
  9. George forearm

George forearm The forearm of George Full Member

Aug 10, 2020
    I'm Irish and I don't know a single soul that watched it

10. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    That might be the case, but 3 minute rounds means that viewers would have to endure more women's boxing. 2 minute rounds are long enough when you're waiting on bouts that are coming on after the women finish.

Smudge_ and rezzer like this.
  11. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I also think as the talent pool increases you'll start to see more KO's happen.

I would say only recently is the talent pool starting to increase, it'll still be another 5years or so yet until we start to see more and more quality come through. It's starting to pick up pace now.

Agree also that a lot more women are in the boxing gyms now, I personally don't mind watching the fights.

Noel857 likes this.
  12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    This is so true. I would bet that the higher percentage of knockdowns occur in the final minute of a round in men’s boxing. It can take a couple of minutes to build that momentum and accumulation.

EJC83 likes this.
  13. jimmyonebomb

jimmyonebomb Active Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    There is a very shallow talent pool in womens boxing and too big a jump in class from the elite women to everyone else, that said there will be many who just dont like it because of their own attitudes towards it and will always have something against it.

Yes women will never be as physically strong as the men but so what its not always about that, if people are competively matched with a good skill level you get great fights. I enjoyed the 3 fights at the weekend, though taylors was bit one sided, fought in a good spirit.

Its a chicken and egg situation, for years in boxing and sport in general women and girls have been told boxing in particular is not for them for men only (katie taylor had to pretend to be a lad ffs not that long ago), that ranged from rules actually barring them to just hearing their own dads etc go on like people on here are. So they dont start or try training at their local gym amateur gym because theirs this thing their that its not for them, so no wonder theirs not a huge talent pool yet. Unless its promoted, young girls have role models to look up to in the sport etc their never will be that talent pool. Its interesting to note the difference in womens boxing and womens ufc, dont know if its cos boxing is an older sport and more set in its ways, but you get competitive matches their, the matches are promoted just for being great matches on par with the fellas and the fans buy into it. Things are getting better and more are getting involved, we have a couple more girls wanting to box at our amateur gym when a few years ago there were none, but theres still a long way to go.

So personally as boxing fans, id like to see us all backing it

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Turpins chin, Noel857 and Twentyman like this.
  14. FP 2.0

FP 2.0 Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I’m very surprised that a forum filled with mostly insecure and small minded men respond negatively to a question posed about women’s boxing.

Noel857, dryzer and jimmyonebomb like this.
  15. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Thank you. This post cuts out all the crap about it being caveman Like and hits the nail on the head. Anyone see Harry’s Heroes? The fat old footballers were battered by under 13/14 boys and got a draw with Crystal Palace women (apparently top of the women’s championship). This is the point, you’re getting short changed, fact.

No way should it be infiltrating mainstream shows, it’s an excuse for cheapness and lack of male stars. But there would be many decent lads crying out for an opportunity on them shows.

If women want to box what’s wrong with it being on women’s only shows?

Safin and Erik like this.