world amatuer championships 2015 update

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by The Smoking Man, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Agreed. He's the best the USA has.

Is France's super heavy, Tony Yoka that good?

Yoka defeated Filip Hrgovic 2-1, and that's a very impressive win if Hrgovic who already qualified was at 100% and motivated to win.

2. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    There's been some cracking fights. Selimov vs Conceiaco at 60kg was high speed chess, more skill in that fight than in the majority of pro world title fights. Toledo was unlucky to lose to the Russian (who was also very good) in the 64kg division. The Uzbek vs Irish fighter at 75kg was an outstanding fight.
    My interest for boxing has been diminishing lately, watching the sport where the best fight the best has rekindled it. There's been some fantastic fighters. I still think 81kg Ward is horribly ugly to watch and a bit overrated, I'd take watching De La Cruz over him. Which is the 81kg final, going to be a real stinker.

3. The Smoking Man

The Smoking Man Boxing Addict banned

Jul 24, 2015
    I don't think ward is ugly to watch at all, whats wrong with it? de la cruz is terrible to watch

O'reilly was the Uzbek at 75kg was the fight of the tournament imo. 50-50 fight with two boxers that get stuck in and are great to watch

4. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    De la Cruz has an awkward style.

5. The Smoking Man

The Smoking Man Boxing Addict banned

Jul 24, 2015
    ackward and ugly, legging it backwards the entire fights and throwing the occasional jab is hard to watch for more than 30 seconds

I hope he turns pro because the people calling lara boring will find out what boring really is:lol:

6. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    He throws punches from weird angles.

Still, he's pretty quick.

7. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    De La Cruz looked pretty good against the Russian. Ward has a very amateur style and doesn't commit to punches, just something about the way he leans back and bounces around on his chicken legs annoys me and makes me want to turn off.

8. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Yoka is in the finals vs Ivan Dychko. I have been very high on Dycko. He's a towering man, but he moves like a middleweight. Decent power, and chin too.

If Yoka wins, I'll be shocked and he'll have my respect going into Rio.

9. Karlo

Karlo Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Poor Savon, who was robbed against Tischenko. Tischenko might have won the first round but Savon clearly won round 2 and 3 IMO. The Cubans have been quite unlucky with the judges here. Iglesias was definitely robbed against the Azeri guy in 69 and I also think Toledo won against the Russian in 64 (no robbery though). Peros loss to Jalolov in the Super Heavy could also have been a win for the Cuban in my book.

10. CzarChristoph

CzarChristoph Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Watched the Championships today, really enjoyed them.
    Was impressed with the young Cuban champ in the 49kg class, both Gold and Silver medalists at Middlweight and Dunaytsev. But I thought that Savon was robbed in the Heavyweight final against Tishenko.
    As a Russian I'm always biased toward the Russian guy, but I can't really see how Savon didn't get it, shocking scoring. Feel sorry for him, as he was robbed against Joshua in London.

11. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    De La Cruz dominated Ward, and in relatively aggressive fashion. It was good to see. Ward looks ridiculous with his heavyweight upper body and chicken legs, his balance and timing is poor.
    Shame about Selimov vs the Cuban. Melikuziev looked very flat in his final, he was comprehensively outboxed and he looked unsure of himself. O'Reilly was completely robbed against the Egyptian fighter.

12. Karlo

Karlo Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Beautiful display of "hit and not be hit" by La Cruz. Don't know if I ever seen him so good as in this final.
    I also had Dychko winning (2-1) against Yoka, but it was a close fight so not a robbery IMO.

13. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Karlo,

Dychko threw more and landed the harder punches. In that sense, it was a robbery is if you had the rounds 2-1.

Somehow Dychko's feet can glide like they are on air. Very rare for a big man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btCHwoFrdA0

14. Karlo

Karlo Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Well, I agree with you about the skills of Dychko. What I meant was that the second round (I think Dychko won it and the judges had it for Yoka) was close enough to not call it a robbery. Yokas win over Dychko looked alot like his win over Hrgovic. Yoka winnng the first round, A rather close second round and a clear round for Dychko/Hrgovic in the third. Savons loss to Tischenko was more of a robbery IMO.

15. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    If Dycko adds a bit more power, he's a dangerous man!

When it comes to close calls, I am less upset if the winner takes the final round. That did not happen in this case.

Dycko out threw and landed, and IMO also landed the harder blows.

Any punch stats?

I agree, Savon was robbed. I understand this is boxing, but for the credibility of the sport, please get the semi final and final matches correctly scored!