Worse Chin: RJJ or Lennox Lewis?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by paulfv, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Mind Reader

Mind Reader J-U-ICE Full Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Neither of them had glass chins. When Roy was koed by Tarver it was an incredible shot.. Against Johnson it was more of a accumulation and his head hitting the floor. Whose chin is better?? Thats a good question. No one stays on top as long as these two that have glass chins.. come on guys!

2. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    You wouldn't think you'd have to state the obvious on a boxing forum. But apparently some people can't grasp the concept that you need a variety of attributes and skills to be a champion. And if your chin isn't at least average, it's not going to happen, cause somewhere sometime you're going to get tagged long before making to the top.

3. paulfv

paulfv Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Lennox Lewis is the only HW I can recall who is frequently mentioned as a potential ATG who has two crushing 1-punch KO/TKO defeats. Ali, Louis, Johnson, Marciano, Holmes, Tyson, Dempsey, Foreman, Holyfield, ..., no one comes close.

And imagine how much weaker LL's chin would be if he weren't such a giant, but were more the size of a Holyfield, or an Ali.

Manny Steward wisely altered Lewis' fighting style so as to protect LL's brittle mandible.

Like LL, RJJ also is one of the only fighters I can recall who is considered an ATG (or in Lewis' case, debated as such) who has two 1-punch KO/TKO defeats.

There is no way around the concept that nearly all of the ATG's never suffered such multiple, ignominious conquerings at the hands of their opponents.

Which led to the thread topic. "Ok," I thought, "you have two guys who are considered elite who each were KO'd/TKO'd twice with a single blow; so now that you've narrowed the list down to two, who has the weaker chin between them? Each man's chin has proven soft, but which chin wins the 'toilet paper award' for its unique softness and inability to deal with one solid punch? That is the question."

It appears as though RJJ's chin is the softer of the two. Though he is clearly, IMO, the superior fighter - lb-for-lb - between himself and LL, in the chins department it looks as though RJJ has come up with the short end of the stick.

So although LL will almost undoubtedly remain the "most-easy-man-to-1-punch-KO/TKO" in terms of the top 25 all-time heavyweights, it appears that Jones has edged Lennox out for this award.

4. Axe

Axe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 23, 2005
    IMO Roy's chin was weak, LL's was just average...too bad that average at heavyweight is enough to give you a big L by KO on your record.

5. paulfv

Jul 7, 2007
    Good point, Axe. However soft a person may rate's LL's chin, RJJ's almost certainly has to be rated weaker, IMO.

Here's some visual evidence of LL displaying his non-granite chin:

This content is protected

vs. Oliver McCall (fight
    #1 of 2 vs McCall)

Lewis after a single, chopping
    right hand from Oliver McCall
    separated Lennox both from
    his faculties and the WBC
    championship. Lewis' future
    trainer, Manny Steward,
    worked McCall's corner and
    had trained McCall for the
    matchup. This was the fight
    which convinced Lewis (and
    Steward) that he must
    protect his weak chin in
    future bouts if he wanted to
    remain a viable HW
    contender and/or champion.
    That is, this is the fight
    which would prove the
    origin of the "
    "
    Lennox Lewis most fight
    fans were accustomed to
    seeing. TKO.

* Round #2 (1994)
    ----------------------------------------------------

vs Rahman (fight #1 of 2 vs Rahman)

Lewis being counted out against Hasim
    Rahman after one well-placed Rahman
    right hand sent LL crashing to the canvas
    in a heap. Rahman's big KO punch
    earned him the WBC and IBF belts. KO.

* Round #5 (2001)
    ------------------------------------------------------

6. errsta

errsta Boxing Addict banned

Jul 31, 2004
    I'd say Lennox.

Roy got one hitter quittered once...The Johnson one was a ton of accumulation.

Lennox got one hitter quittered twice.

Also, I think the claims that either has a "glass jaw" is extremely exaggerated.

7. Drexl

Drexl Your Hero Full Member

Jan 24, 2005

The use of grainy stills = you automatically lose the argument. :hi:

8. DamonD

DamonD Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Wow, Lewis on the deck twice...WORST CHIN OF ALLLL TIME!

Got any grainy stills of Roy looking glassy-eyed on the floor?

9. paulfv

Jul 7, 2007
    Lennox definitely was easier to 'get to' than was RJJ. Lewis was 'stung'/hurt by many more fighters than was RJJ. The only two guys who hurt RJJ were Tarver and GJ. You could throw in the time RJJ was knocked down by Lou Del Valle. That's 3 fighters, total, I can remember, although I might be forgetting a fighter or two who stung/hurt RJJ. Roy Jones has fought in 55 professional contests. Percentage-wise, RJJ was hurt against 6% of the fighters he faced.

Lewis, on the other hand, was stung/hurt by: Billups, Tucker, Bruno, McCall, Mercer, Akinwande (should have been ruled a KD), Briggs, Holyfield, Tua, Rahman, and Klitschko, and those are just the times I know about. That's 11 different fighters that stung/hurt/floored Lewis. Lewis fought in 44 professional contests during his career. Percentage-wise, Lewis was hurt against 27% of the fighters he faced.

That is a significant difference, 27% vs 6%. Now, some of that difference is because RJJ was fighting his 'bum-of-the-month'-level opposition. And I think much of it was because RJJ's reflexes were far superior to LL's, allowing him to react to/roll-with punches far better than LL did.

I'm not sure if those two factors can explain the large disparity in the # of times one fighter was hurt as compared with the other, however, and that could lead a person to conclude LL's chin was more susceptible than was RJJ's.

Lewis always seemed to be open for a right hand from his opponents, something which improved under Manny Steward's tutelage but which still remained an issue for Lennox even after Steward joined his team (see: Rahman, Klitschko, etc.).

Almost all of the instances of Lewis being hurt (except Tua and Holyfield [I believe]) came courtesy of a right hand.

Lewis' massive frame made him the perfect fit for the "
    " approach Steward imparted to him. Because of his height, bulk and reach, Lewis could keep his opponents at a distance (thus protecting his frail beard) -- the '
    ' of the "
    ."

And then when he tired, attempted his own power shots, and/or his opponent evaded Lewis' reach, he could tie the opponent up -- the '
    ' of the "
    ."

Using this technique, Lewis was able to master foes such as Tua, Holyfield, and Tyson. Fighters whom he almost certainly would have lost to had he engaged in repeated exchanges. His chin was not up to snuff with any of these fighters', and he and Steward wisely shaped their gameplans against those opponents accordingly.

So for anyone who watches a Wlad Klitschko fight and deems it 'boring,' you can partially thank Lennox Lewis. Had Manny Steward's "
    " principles not worked so well with the more-limited Brit/Canadian/Jamaican, the Ukranian champion would not be using them today. The difference is that it took Lewis only 26 fights before he was 1-punch felled by McCall, whereas it took 42 fights before Klitschko was TKO'd against Sanders (when Wlad was TKO'd by Ross Purrity in his 25th fight -- due to exhaustion, not from punching power, per se -- he did not alter his style almost at all). So the boxing community got to see the 'less-cautious' Wlad in approximately 16 more fights than they got to see the 'less-cautious' Lewis.

Had Lewis not ducked Sanders (Sanders' own words, as told to him, allegedly, by Lewis), we might have gotten to see much less of Lewis, period. But that is a story for another day.

For now it's sufficient to note that Lewis was hurt against more than 1 of every 4 fighters he faced, and that this softness of jaw forced him and his team to adopt the "
    " style so that LL could remain a viable HW challenger and champion. Without his massive frame, Lewis would likely have been relegated to the dustbin of HW history, crushed by the likes of Tua, Holyfield, Tyson, etc. (I still believe that Prime Tyson and Prime Holyfield easily dispatch any version of LL, but a smaller version [say 6'3", 220 lbs] of LL would have lost to any version of Tyson and Holyfield, possibly Tua).

But Lewis: was born large; found the style which suited his physical gifts and shortcomings; and came along at the right time. And, as they say, the rest is history.

Just don't let the Lewis-fawners sell you on the 'strength' of Lennox's chin. Never has a HW mentioned as possibly among the top-15 all-time had as weak a set of whiskers as did LL, the owner of two embarrassing 1-punch KO/TKO defeats.

Peace.

10. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Either this guy is a troll or he's mentally ******ed, blindly following some guy who ever dropped the term "jab and grab".

One last time paulfv, in which fights did Lewis "jab and grab"?
    We already established that the Tua fight contained a grand total of 26 clinches so that one's out.
    And if you give a fight, point out exactly in which rounds he "jabbed and grabbed". How many clinches were there?

11. paulfv

Jul 7, 2007
    No, acttually, my IQ places me in the category of 'genius,' as I just posted on the lounge board.

You seem to be a Lennox-fawner, as your avatar would allude to. I am sorry for you that 'your guy's' mandible was not made of sterner stuff. That's neither my fault nor my problem.

Read what I wrote, try to comprehend it. I know it will be challenging for it to penetrate your "Lewis = greatest" filter, but do your best. Then go do some research and get back to me. Until then, your ignorant nuthugging will be addressed as it should be by me - it will be ignored, as it doesn't merit my attention or time.

Peace.

12. paulfv

Jul 7, 2007

vs Glen Johnson

After a crunching right hand to the ear/temple/side
    of the head sent RJJ sprawling down to the canvas
    where he hit his head hard against the floor of the
    ring, resulting in even more impact. RJJ was out
    for around 8 minutes, all told. KO.

* Round 9 (2004)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

vs. Antonio Tarver (Fight #2 of 3 vs AT) (also known
    as the "Got any excuses tonight, Roy?" fight, due to
    AT saying those exact words to RJJ during the pre-fight
    instructions/touch gloves meeting of the fighters at
    the center of the ring)

After being drilled by a sizzling counter left hook
    from Tarver, Roy Jones looks to regain his senses
    and his footing while attempting to return to his
    feet before the count of 10. Despite Roy's success
    at standing back up, the ref waved off the fight
    following Tarver's punch and this knockdown. TKO.

* Round 2 (2004)

13. paulfv

Jul 7, 2007
    After finding, and placing captions on, the two RJJ 1-punch KO/TKO loss pics, I went back and 'touched-up' the two LL 1-punch KO/TKO loss pics in order to make them read more clearly, provide a little more information, and define which was LL's 1-punch KO loss and which was LL's 1-punch TKO loss. The updated pics:

Here's some visual evidence of LL displaying his non-granite chin:

vs. Oliver McCall (fight
    #1 of 2 vs McCall)

Lewis after a single, chopping
    right hand from McCall
    separated Lennox both from
    his faculties and the WBC
    championship. Lewis' future
    trainer, Manny Steward,
    worked McCall's corner and
    had trained McCall for the
    matchup. This was the fight
    which convinced Lewis (and
    Steward) that he must
    protect his weak chin in
    future bouts if he wanted to
    remain a viable HW
    contender and/or champion.
    That is, this is the fight
    which would prove the
    origin of the "
    "
    Lennox Lewis most fight
    fans were accustomed to
    seeing. TKO.

* Round #2 (1994)

vs Hasim Rahman (fight #1 of 2 vs Rahman)

Lewis being counted out after one
    well-placed Rahman right hand sent LL
    crashing to the canvas in a heap, arms
    splayed over his head. Rahman's big
    punch earned him the WBC and IBF belts.
    KO.

* Round #5 (2001)

14. Drexl

Drexl Your Hero Full Member

Jan 24, 2005

What kind of **** would post about his IQ. :roll:

"Acttually" - genius. :lol:

15. paulfv

Jul 7, 2007
    There's a thread/poll on the 'lounge' board named "
    ", or something like that. The answer which I gave was the same kind of answer other posters gave. A person might expect to post about his IQ on a thread which asks about intelligence. I would imagine that makes sense to you.

Just updated the Lewis pics in my previous post once more, for a bit more information. Should be the final edit.