Worst corner Jobs

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Contro, Jun 15, 2016.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
  2. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Wait Froch and Byrd were cornered and trained by there wives?! lol!

3. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Mickey Duff asking Honeyghan ''Are you tired?'' after Lloyd had spent around nine rounds just punching arms and getting countered and Duff again during the Mugabi v Hagler fight saying to John ''listen to the preacher if you won`t listen to me''! What the f..k was a preacher doing in Mugabi`s corner, then again he probably knew as much about boxing as Duff did.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  4. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Maybe not the worst but certainly a bit of an oddity was the first fight between Hedgemon Lewis and Billy Backus. Somewhere during the fight Backus' manager Tony Graziano and Billy's uncle Carmen Basilio had a bit of a disagreement on who was giving instructions and actually came to blows during a round. Billy said he wasn't sure if it was safer to go back to his corner between rounds or stay in the middle of the ring.

5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I dont know about Berbick fight as I was never as Ali fan. His rational for Holmes fight was he was waiting for a signal from Elija Muhammads son when to stop it if Ali was taking a beating which he was for many many rounds to the point Holmes himself was holding back. Then Dundee starts with his whole " I'm the chief second and I stop the fight" like hes a big hero. Meanwhile that fool Bundini was crying for the fight to go on. Dundee let his man get beat half to death while waiting for a signal because he couldn't bring himself to man up and stop the fight regardless of Herbert's Consequences. Disgusting and cowardly.

6. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Corner work doesn't end with the fight. One has to look out for their fighter even after the contest. The following is a quote from Art Hafey (his cornerman was Burke Emery). Emery had him back in the ring 2 months after a hernia operation.

"Now, a lot of people think the Danny "Little Red" Lopez fight ruined my career, but it was the Rodolfo Moreno fight. My mobility after the operation was limited and, although I knocked him out in the 10th round, my left eye was swollen shut, my head was swollen. The ringside physician didn't even give me an icepack. I should have gone to the hospital, instead they took me out to a party. I ended up with impaired vision after that fight. Blind areas in my field of vision."

7. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    The idiot in the captain's hat in McClellands corner vs Benn
    Eddie Mustapha in Barkley's corner vs Toney
    Davey Moores corner vs Duran
    These jump out immediately besides Dundee in Ali's corner vs Holmes

Smokin Bert likes this.
  8. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Best thing Vince could of done was pull Nathan out. After all big Terry already done half the job by carrying him back to the corner at the end of the 3rd.

9. SHADAPBLAD

SHADAPBLAD Viscous Knockouts Full Member

Feb 15, 2017
    I dont think father and wife type corners should count. It is almost inevitable that theyd do a bad job

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Anyone remember Floyd Mayweather Sr's advice between rounds in Oscar's corner for the Hopkins fight ??

"Man, this mother****er ain't doing **** !!" - Talking about Hopkins who was easily winning the fight

And just before the start of a round "Look man, just go out there and whoop his ass"

Jamzy ⭐ likes this.
  11. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Peppe Correa.

Lewis V McCall

Correa to Lewis..
    Just forget everything I taught you and just knock him out!!!

12. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I remember that. I was wracking my brain on who said it - couldn't remember. Thank you.

13. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. Snowell’s side makes since, considering Tommy Brooks, who also trained Tyson mentioned constantly having his legs pulled from underneath him from Tyson’s handlers.

14. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Glad I could help!

15. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Just got done rewatching Kevin Kelley vs Alejandro Gonzalez

Phil Borgia did o horrific job as Kelley’s cornerman. Kelley is in a tough fight after 2, when his corner starts telling him to aim for the chest. Kelley listens to him, and Borgia yells at him for doing it and tells him to jab more....Kelley does that and his corner again asks him what is wrong. After 4 Kelley tells him he feels like he is an war, and his corner challenges his manhood. After 5 he says he feels sluggish, his corner tells him people are watching and wondering what is wrong with him....Kelley gets kd’d In 6 and I think suffered a broken orbital bone. For the next 4 rds his eye puffs more and more and they never put ice or anything on it....Foreman comments that they must be inexperienced after 9...understatement of the year lol.

**** poor job IMO and one of the worst I have seen. Gonzalez is tough and Kelley was likely in for a war....but every time he did something well they yelled for him to fight different losing any momentum and success he was finding.