Worst fighter who could beat every British heavyweight champion before Lewis?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, May 18, 2022.

1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Conversely, though, Charles was competing against heavyweights as basically a lightheavy himself. And against the 3 fight break the one year, he had 7 or 8 in other years.

You could probably find similar records from the other prolific guys. Stribling, likely Moore, etc. Stribling was fighting multiple times a month sometimes, and not all of his opponents were cab drivers.

I grant you that the mechanical pace would cause problems, since it doesn't make allowances for time off, or the needs of imprecise organic critters like human boxers. But Ali fought well past his prime through damaged knuckles, early signs of Parkinsons, etc. If he starts as 63/64/65 Ali, he's still going to be relatively close to his prime by the time the ultramarathon ends.

2. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    You know, it's funny. I overlooked this aspect of the logistics when I made this thread, where I was really thinking something more along the lines of an average.

But now that this wrinkle has been brought to my attention, I really want to watch it play out. And find the guy who could pull it off. :lol:

I wonder whether there are any adjustments that earlier guys who fought frequently made (before good medical care, like Langford) that would ease the burden.

3. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Well I have a suggestion to tinker with the rules. Let our chosen one space them out as he chooses as long as he had to beat all 36 in six years. If he wants to pick the least of the lot (sure to include a lot of the earlier guys) who he might could easily dispose of and fight, say, six of them in four weeks, then take the other 11 months of that year to space out as he chooses over the next fight … now we’re getting closer to a fair test.

And by all means, let him choose the order. Fight Mason and Bugner earlier in order so you don’t have the larger guys waiting at the end of a weary journey.

How we’re cooking with Crisco.

cross_trainer likes this.
  4. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Who could pull off your revised version, do you think?

(I'm envisioning your chosen one rushing to fill his quota by the end of the year after partying. Like someone waiting until the last minute to do his taxes...)

5. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Haha. I think guys I’ve mentioned here already:

Frank Bruno

Carl Williams

Earnie Shavers

Of these I’d venture Williams is ‘the worst.’

But I’d give Kallie Knoetze a shot and rate him below Williams.

6. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Since I seem to be having one my rare nights trying to get a good sleep, I'm going to try to answer this:

For this super human task, I want a Heavyweight who can intimidate many of them and dispose of a good portion of them, quickly, thus decreasing the likelihood that he will sustain damage, himself. Less actual rounds in the ring equals more ability to fight often, in some cases more often than every 2 months. These shorties will make up for that occasional pain in the "you know what," who will extend my "Conqueror of the British" Hero into later rounds by some means or another, thereby causing a longer layoff than 2 months. I'm thinking that the guy made to order for this revolutionary task is a young Mike Tyson, and I'm going with Iron Mike.

7. FastLeft

FastLeft Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2022
    I do not believe Bruno would win v a younger Bugner. imagine 25 year old each of them. Bugner wins.

actually Bruno would lose to a few I believe. Farr give Joe Louis hard fight & beat Max Baer. not losing to robot stiff Bruno if they are best shape each.

8. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I answered assuming they'd be aiming for fighting at that in average, varying the breaks depending on how hard the fights are, and their injury status, but to some extent fighting through injuries. Like the old school guys on a hectic schedule did.

I do agree sticking to that schedule perfectly against a line up of opponents they have no control over would be brutal.

thistle and cross_trainer like this.
  9. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Earnie Shavers is an odd pick to me. A lot of his wins were against terrible opposition, and he didn't even have a spotless record against weak opponents.

There's plenty of the British champions that would be a serious threat without even taking the insane schedule into account.

thistle and cross_trainer like this.
  10. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    They might end up like Coetzee, with bionic implants in half their body. Then again, Williams came back from a gunshot wound...

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  11. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Most of the lot weren’t terribly durable or blessed with great punch resistance pre-Lewis, and a great many just weren’t very good period.

Earnie stands to knock a lot of them out early … look what he did to Bugner, who I figure to give more people problems than many of the others on that list. So that’s why I picked him.

Who would you pick?