Worst heavyweight era ever?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by smithshaun, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    The era before this one was worse, with Valuev and Ruslan Chagev as genuine top 5 contender. Klitschko’s big defences were against fighters like Calvin Brock (remember him!) and Sam Peter. It was dull and no one came close to them until the new era came through with exciting fights.

Nothing wrong with the one we’re in at the moment - the top of the division is competitive and we’re seeing good fights regularly.

Gatekeeper and Mitch87 like this.
  2. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Yeah, for sure.
    Fight like A.J title defense vs 39 y.o Pulev = good, cos A.J is from U.K, thank you.
    Fight like Wlad ( 38 y.o ) vs 33 y.o the same Pulev was bad cos Wlad is from Ukraine.
    Now A.J will fight vs Usyk, who sorry, is not in prime anymore and had performed vs Chisora worse than in Good shape Haye 217 lbs version.
    Thank you.
    Era definitely is better just because champs surnames and passports are different.

General opponents doesn't change since Klits era.:p

Now A.J will fight vs Usyk, who is worse than in good shape Haye. Congratulations, NEW:DBETTER ERA.

Jurgen likes this.
  3. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    To the OP.

Klitschko was NOT 42.

Really really REALLY grates on my nips when people on here add years onto the age of a fighter to try and substantiate a weak point.

Journey Man and EJC83 like this.
  4. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Hopkins was 67 when he fought Joe Calzaghe.

5. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Well he was in his 42nd year I guess. Didnt know mistakenly saying a fighter is 11 months older than he was would really get to somebody.

6. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It is a bug bear of mine as I like to deal with facts when the conversation gets serious.

It is like saying somebody won by KO when in fact it was a UD.

Both are wins but one is not wholly accurate.

EJC83 likes this.
  7. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I'm 7ft, I'm in my 7th foot

I'm only messing!

nurological and Oreet Cha! like this.
  8. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Are you drunk?

Did I say AJ vs Pulev was a good defence? I haven’t even spoken about it, but seeing as you pushed my opinion it is this - Pulev was an astute business man who would never win a world title - after his loss to Klitschko he did okay but as soon as AJ became the money man that’s all Pulev wanted - the multi million pound cash out vs Mr Joshua. AJ had no choice other than to box him, end of.

However the little bits you touched on are ridiculous. Haye might have done better than Usyk did against Chisora - but Usyk did better against Bellew than Haye did so your point makes zero ****ing sense.

In 2011, this was the Ring Magazine top 10;
    Champ; Wladimir Klitschko
    1. Vitali Klitschko
    2. Alexander Povetkin
    3. Tomasz Adamek
    4. Eddie Chambers
    5. Alexander Dimitrenko
    6. Robert Helenius
    7. Denis Boytsov
    8. Ruslan Chagaev
    9. Chris Arreola
    10. Kubrat Pulev
    This is last years;

Tyson Fury, Champion

1. Anthony Joshua
    2. Deontay Wilder
    3. Alexander Povetkin
    4. Dillian Whyte
    5. Luis Ortiz
    6. Andy Ruiz Jr.
    7. Joseph Parker
    8. Michael Hunter
    9. Oscar Rivas
    10. Oleksandr Usyk
    I am saying this era is better than the one 10 years ago, and I think I’m right. It’s certainly better to watch. All 11 named last year have been in fights that everyone on this forum have watched and enjoyed.

I can’t ever remember watching an Adamek (at HW), Chambers, Dimitrenko, Helenius, Boystov or Chagaev fight that I can honestly say I enjoyed or meant much for anyone outside of all of their failed attempts at Wladimir.

Even Joe Parker has been in a unification and a couple of action match ups ffs.

9. smithshaun

smithshaun Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    What do we have now that's so much better,

giants of men afraid to fight each other

a unified champion who has been pummelled by an obese fringe contender, 1 of the longest reigning champions in history in term of defences in Wilder who can't fight on the back foot and looks like a pure novice at times.

Fury a good boxer bit seems to have lost his bollocks all of a sudden.

Main contenders

Usyk , great boxer but unfortunately a pumped at cruiserweight as you mentioned

Joyce monster chin but so slow and robotic it's painful to watch at times

And finally whyte... who has already been knocked out twice ,lost once to chisora, came within seconds of losing to Parker

This really isn't any better than the wlad era

Bumnard_Hopkins and Jurgen like this.
  10. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Usyk would have boxed Haye`s ears off and never got stopped at cruiser the way Haye did.

Terminator and Mitch87 like this.
  11. smithshaun

smithshaun Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Yeah he has never pulled out of a fight and is completely dedicated i will give him that but he has beat absolutely **** all!!!

Jurgen likes this.
  12. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    I think you use alco more than I.
    You most likely even do not know how ranking does work in pro boxing industry.
    Pulev when was 33 y.o had lost vs 38 years old current champion in Wlad who then had 5 belts, looks that he then didn't had only WBC belt. Wlad was almost UNISPUTED and with xx multiple title defenses under belt, Olympic champion.
    Therefore Wlad had damn high ranking points not only in boxrec, also in alphabet orgs.

This was reason why Pulev didn't dropped in rankings seriously after this loss.

And yeah, day come when IBF had installed him as mando for A.J when he was 39 y.o.

I agree.

Yeah, Usyk had did vs Bellew better than Haye.
    Because Haye isn't like Pirog.
    Pirog needed just step in the ring to get biggest purse in his life but he was not able to train properly due to back injury.
    Pirog opted choice : option not to sell trash to ppl instead of getting big paycheck.
    Haye was different, okey, there no back problems and still.
    The difference: Haye get nice paychecks and Pirog didn't had get. Pirog had this if he just had started to fight vs GGG ater he get problems with his back.

13. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Your point doesn't makes sense here.

Of course Usyk might outbox Haye, why not.

The problem is that he needs a KO to win vs A.J.
    And single punch power ? Makabu and Dorticos, not alone Bellew or Briedis, Haye might have MORE chances to KO A.J.
    Usyk is good and isn't quite pillow fisted but all these and even Durodola does have more 1 punch " power " than Usyk.

14. Nick UK

Nick UK Active Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2019
    For as long as I have been watching boxing (over 40 years) it seems like people have been saying its the worst HW era ever!

15. Bumnard_Hopkins

Bumnard_Hopkins Burger King banned Full Member

Jul 13, 2021
    You can find articles from the 70s (so called "Golden Era") calling the HW division "poor".
    Pretty sure 50s was bad, and so was a good chunk of Joe Louis' career.

Surrix likes this.