Worst heavyweight era ever?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by smithshaun, Sep 19, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I hope you`re wrong because I believe Usyk will out-point AJ unless the judging is fixed.

2. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Btw I want to add about Pulev's ranking and Povetkin's ranking reasons.

The highest impact on ranking does have ranking points and difference between them for boxers before fight. Ranking position before fight etc.

For example: Wlad before fight vs Pulev looks that had been ranked very highly and had a lot ranking points.
    He then had really huge bunch with belts too.
    Then he was Champ in bunch of these alphabet orgs, was ranked #1 in a lot of other sources.

Wlad beats Pulev.
    Pulev doesn't drops out from top 10, not alone top 15.
    If someone ranked lower than Pulev had beat him, he I think wasn't anymore in top 10 for IBF, maybe even had been out of top 15.
    However Wlad was champ and below champ there are 15 top lads in row.

U had beaten by someone ranked higher than you? You drop in rankings a bit, maybe 1-2-3 places not more.
    U had been beated up by someone ranked lower than you? This will not be cool
    U are # 10 and had been beated by someone ranked #15 in this org? Most likely you will not be in top 15 after such fight result.
    If you are #10 and had lost vs #5, then you maybe will drop till #11-14 not more.

Like this.

While each org does have their own ranking system and ranking tables.

So Pulev lost vs Klit but remained in top 10 for sure.

3. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    What a strange post yet again.

Pulev was mandatory in 2017 - when he was scheduled to box Joshua but was replaced due to injury (by Takam.) Since then he has waited until AJ was forced to meet that mandatory - Pulev took low risk fights in that time to ensure he stayed number one with whichever body called it.

What on earth does Dimitry Pirog have to do with David Haye?!!?! I get that Pirog opted not to fight GGG because he wasn’t healthy enough but irrelevant you made a stupid comparison that Haye beat Chisora better than Usyk did, so I replied that Usyk beat Bellew and Haye didn’t. It’s completely irrelevant but certainly this era is not the worst.

4. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    This is the best era of boxing since the 90's definitely. It's not just about having THE best fighter, but the more entertaining era.

Wlad's era was boring. This era is a lot more interesting.

5. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    The 38 yo Pov that fought AJ was different than the 40+ year old one that fought Whyte. Pov was noticably quicker against AJ than he was vs Whyte.

6. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Ha ha ha, like then had boxed only Wlad.
    Wlad was very entertaining, then later he was boring ( usually ) to watch.
    Wlad was not 1 alone there were xx not boring boxers. :p
    A lot of them even today fights in top 15- top 25 - top 50.

7. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Wlad clinched too much, it was really intrusive against Povetkin.

8. Team Usyk

Team Usyk Very Feel Member banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2021
    Surely the late 80s/early 90s was the worst when it was all bum americans playing pass the parcel with the belts , the briliant soviet union fighters couldn't turn pro yet. It was like a domestic american sport lol

Mike Tyson looked a beast only cause he was facing bums, then ends up getting destroyed by a bum in Buster Douglas lol

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  9. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I still say them 80,s early 90,s guys we,re great. The notion is they we,re no good because tyson wiped them all out without too much trouble but if you go back and watch these guys closely...they we,re all good fighters. Could do it all. Great range and variety of punches. All had good jabs. Could fight on the move. Had good footwork. They we,re more skilled than the guys of today.

I,d ask people to go back and watch some of the fights involving the guys tyson beat in fights against anyone but tyson. You,ll see guys far more talented than guys around today like whyte, chisora, parker etc.

10. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Totally disagree.

This is a brilliant era for hw boxing.

It may not have the best boxers of all time but its a great era with so many possible fights and a top 20 that could all probably beat each other.