Worst performance by a British fighter in a big fight?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by notjustacasual, Nov 21, 2019.

1. kevinreid001

kevinreid001 Punchdrunk101 Full Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Khan vs prescott

Especially when see how easily prescott could be delt with in later fights yet still fidnt avenge the loss

Always Learning and caligula4 like this.
  2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Scott Welch vs Akinwande for the WBO HW title is one from the past that sticks out, Welch had talked a big game even bringing up Akinwande's Nigerian ancestry and how he wasn't a 'true brit' but on the night Welch fought scared and took zero risks.

This content is protected

I know he considers himself Irish but he's from Northern Ireland so I'll chuck in Paul McCloskey vs Khan. Awful, negative 'performance', seemed to have no intention of winning once he tasted Khan's speed.

3. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Like the guy but witter v Judah
    short notice and all but come on just go for it / out on your shield

4. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Not sure this counts as a big fight but the most pathetic performance I've seen was Audley Harrison vs David Haye, after all the talk he didn't throw a punch in three rounds and got absolutely battered.

More obvious shockers

Hatton vs pac
    Bellew vs Stevenson
    Fielding vs canelo

Gatekeeper and Wizbit1013 like this.
  5. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Decent enough picks. Unlike Haye Audley though, while Fielding was clearly outclassed from the start and went down early, he was trying to engage and actually put some heart into it. While a woeful task and effort, at least he gave it some guts.

6. alfonso

alfonso Active Member Full Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Even though I was sure Haye would win. Enzo didn’t do much against him did he.

7. Optimus Grime

Optimus Grime Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Certainly counts it was one of those fights that had mainstream appeal and talked about on mainstream (non sports) shows and interested casuals. Id say its the the biggest let down in british boxing history.

Octolony shore likes this.
  8. Optimus Grime

Optimus Grime Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Yeah I think we can discount the fielding canelo fight on the basis that Canelo is/was one of the best p4p and no one expected fielding to do much anyway but at least he tried.

9. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I have to disagree fielding didn't show much heart for me, he was smiling every time he went down and just looked embarrassed not hurt. I know he was way out his depth but I thought it was pathetic.

10. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Another embarrassing one that sometimes gets a pass because of his national treasure status: Bruno in the Tyson rematch...

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  11. McQuaid89

McQuaid89 Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Fielding v Canelo
    Fielding v Smith
    Barker v Sturm

12. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    A Farce vs Price
    A Farce vs Haye (didnt throw a punch)
    A Farce vs Wilder

A Farce had a history of turning up with **** in his pants, and throwing himself to the canvas as soon as he felt a punch in the big fights.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  13. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Hard one to pick....because usually on the other side of each of these is someone thats quality. Dont think fans quite get that most of these opponents on the list can and will knock you out if you open up. Ricky hatton opened up and was made to pay for it. Everytime enzo tried to open up haye made him pay for it. Your damned if you do and damned if you dont.

With the ability difference...sometimes the only real chance is keeping it tight and hoping for a hail mary.

I do think audley for haye, witter for judah, haye for klitchko probably the biggest sinners tho. Should have took more chances. Or in audleys case just one chance at throwing would have been good. I think hayes is the biggest missed oppertunity tho. Had the power to hurt klitchko. Had to start going out on his shield from about the 8/9th round. The weight/height difference was slwsys too big tho....bearing in mind how good klitchko was.

14. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Fielding vs Canelo was like a boys stag do to New York.. ‘daring to be great’.. Barker vs Sturm is a good shout and obviously AJ v Ruiz.