Would 88 Tyson have beaten Tokyo Douglas?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by AngryBirds, Jan 28, 2023.

Would 88 Tyson have beaten Tokyo Douglas?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    78.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    swagdelfadeel likes this.
  2. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I remember seeing Greg Page spar Tyson, where Rooney looked frustrated that Tyson was getting hit so often. My comment wasn't necessarily saying, that i didn't believe Tyson wasn't fully mentally prepared for Douglas.

Basically I was saying why in this fight did Tyson's form dip considerably ? Because in previous fights he had shown no signs of it. And even in fights after vs Tillman, Ruddock, his form was considerably better.

It just seems odd to me that in his first career before prison, he had only had one bad performance and that was against Douglas. I'm just wondering if it's a bit of both, Tyson's preparation obviously wasn't what it could've been. But also Douglas regarding his size, ATG jab, and form, was also the deciding factor aswell.

Pugguy and Entaowed like this.
  3. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    Tyson wins, but Douglas gives him the toughest fight of his career.

mirexxa and Entaowed like this.
  4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    The only way to know for sure is if we were actually able to see it happen. But I Think that 1988 Tyson was better than 1990 Tyson

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  5. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
  6. Vic The Gambler

Vic The Gambler Active Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2022
    Haha! “Tokyo Douglas” has taken on a persona of mythical proportions! He’s like Bigfoot or The Loch Ness Monster. Our grandchildren will be asking us…”Pappy did Tokyo Douglas really exist? And did he really destroy the Baddest Man on the Planet?”
    “ Well Timmy, (grandsons always seem to be called Timmy) I was just a boy when I saw this incredibly super beast crush Iron Mike Tyson into the dust without breaking a sweat…then in a flash, like lightning he was gone! He was bigger than Kong, stronger than Hulk and faster than Bolt. We will never see his like again!”

Anyway, back in the real world and to answer the question…1988 Tyson beats any version of Douglas…even the mythical Tokyo incarnation.
    And I’ll be sure to tell Timmy that..

Pugguy and Entaowed like this.
  7. Greg Price99

Greg Price99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I noticed as early as Bruno 1, that his head movement, footwork and combinations didn't have the same harmonious fluidity, as they had back in 87.

Clearly, nothing to the extent as vs Douglas. I suspect losing to Buster was due a combination of less focus on boxing in general, particularly poor preparation for that specific fight and Douglas on that night being good enough, at the right style of fighting, to beat that version of Tyson.

I think Tyson of 87 beats Tokyo Douglas. Tyson never got back to his 87 version, but he did regain some discipline post Douglas, at least for a bit. The Tyson that beat Ruddock vs Tokyo Douglas would be a tough pick for me.

swagdelfadeel and Pugguy like this.
  8. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I agree completely, except you meant what the OP asked, 1988 Tyson?
    I think we agree 1987 also beats him,
    Yes who knows if Tyson who fought Rudock either time would have enough to win?
    Possibly.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  9. Greg Price99

Greg Price99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Yeah, I think 87 or 88 Tyson beats Tokyo Douglas.

10. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Great post Vic.

The name Timmy is always good - there’s also Jimmy

Capt Ovah - “We’ll, my goodness, Scraps is a boy dog, isn’t he?”

Jimmy - “Yeah!”

Vic The Gambler likes this.
  11. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Though, IIRC, Bruno made it pretty rough in there, to expressly unsettle Mike and he did stun Mike at least once. Prior to that, Mike looked like the same Mike, having dropped Frank with a right shortly after opening bell - after that, Frank began sticking it to him.

I think a lot of Mike’s less than ideal performances tend to over focus on what Mike allegedly wasn’t rather than the what the opponents were and the obstacles they presented.

Of course there is provision for Mike being a bit less than himself - but I don’t necessarily agree with the extent of how much less he was within himself.

In fair balance, a “bit less” for a fighter of Mike’s ilk can equate to a greater drop in overall effect as compared to fighter of other styles who are slightly under par in themselves.

Mike’s own poster year 88 involved at least two opponents who were impaired themselves, given their own context - but Mike absorbed absolute credit for those victories, building into his aura of invincibility without due deductions.

The first step in attempting to answer the question might be to ask: how Douglas, in his own right, compared to Mike’s opposition in 88? Imo, I believe Tokyo Douglas was notably superior.

And, Douglas was already starting to pound on Mike before there was much of window to assess Mike in his own right - so that can’t be completely divorced from the dynamic.

It was also Mike who famously said that everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth/face - so, if one subscribes to same, it’s a two way street and Mike wasn’t immune to same.

Greg Price99 and Vic The Gambler like this.
  12. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
    Damn it! Now I want Japanese prostitutes. :lol:

Vic The Gambler and Pugguy like this.
  13. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    So I take it that you have more than sufficient YEN for same?

Vic The Gambler and Accurate like this.
  14. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
    Not right now, but I know a guy. I got a YEN guy.

Vic The Gambler and Pugguy like this.
  15. Vic The Gambler

Vic The Gambler Active Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2022
    Airplane? I think it’s Joey not Jimmy but I’ll forgive you that tiny error haha!

Pugguy likes this.