Would a Prime Ali have beaten a prime Larry Holmes

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by OMGWTF, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009

And hands.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009

You're definitely on the money where the right hands are concerned,Bodhi ! Ali would use it as a lead on Holmes at times as well.

3. Shisha

Shisha New Member Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
  4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    If anybody was going to beat prime Ali, my money would be on Holmes.

5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Holmes would edge it, Ali ALWAYS had issues with good jabbers, and with guys who can in-fight Holmes can do both.

6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Pre exile Ali by comfortable decision, the best of post exile Ali by close decision.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  7. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Ali might be the only fighter who beats prime Holmes. Prime Ali by close decision

8. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Could have ... yes.

Would have ... I wouldn't bet a plugged nickel on that fight.

9. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    In what particular fights do people think Ali was shown to be in his prime?

10. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

Ali didn't beat quality opposition in the 1960's. I had him up 3-2-1 over Liston before Sonny quit, and the re-match was a tank job. Its tough to take these fights as on the level.

Prior to these fights, he was nearly Ko'd by Henry Cooper and might have been if not for Dundee's rule-bending, and almost outboxed by Doug Jones. Ali defeated Patterson easily, but Patterson was fighting with a bad back.

Maybe Terrell was Ali best win, but Ernie wasn't fast in that fight and fought with a damaged eye. ( He claimed Ali thumbed him ). Ali's looked his best vs. Clevland Williams, but the Willaims he fought was shot, both figurately and literally. It's not Ali's fault his best opponents in the 1960's suddenly quit, were past their best or fought him injured.

Ali thinks Midlebberger gave him his toughest fight in the 1960's., and to put in in perspective no one thinks he was as good as Patterson or Liston. The difference was he was healthy and in there to win. Ali was too big and strong to lose vs. Mildenberger, but was outboxed in some rounds.

For my money, the early 70's Ali was the better fighter. No, he wasn't faster, but he was a better counter puncher, stronger, and learned how to clinch. The 70's ALi certainly fought competition.

Pat M likes this.
  11. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    A right hand is not the punch to hit prime Ali with. It was a left hook. Holmes has a very poor hook. Conversely the punch to hit Holmes with was a right hand. Ali had an excellent very quick jarring right hand.

Ali’s side to side movement would allow him to land punches at angles while Holmes more static style would search for the ever moving Ali. Holmes would land some jabs but many will be slipped.

Competitive bout early but Ali’s style begins to dominate as the bout progresses. In the end Ali wins the decision 9-6 in rounds. Holmes is a swollen mess at fights end while Ali shows some signs of puffiness.

12. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    50/50
    Holmes - Better jab
    Ali - Faster
    Both can take a great shot.
    Ali is quicker on his feet
    Neither has a great hook
    Holmes has a better uppercut
    Rt hands are pretty even
    Both have excellent stamina.
    Holmes Jab vs Ali's speed.
    And yes Holmes jab was harder faster more punishing and used on offense and defense. Much better jab. But can he content we with Ali's speed? Can his jab neutralize that speed?
    50/50 for me.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  13. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Terrel and Williams, imo he had reached his best blend in terms of durability, IQ, speed and power.

If he was still allowed to fight who knows how good he could've been by 69.

14. 70sFan

70sFan Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Both are great, I think the 60s Ali is just better and wins by decision. Too much foot and hand speed and Larry is a boxer and no one outboxes that Ali. After the layoff, as much as I like Ali, I think it would be a close fight and could go either way and I would not be surprised if Holmes edged him out.

15. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Ali takes a 9-6 round decision .