Would a prime Mike Tyson lose to any of the current top heavyweights?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Fury's real smart.
    He's at least 6'7 tall (6'9 might be an exaggeration) and has excellent footwork, he can box in every direction, he can make a short guy like Tyson miss easily, and knows how to tie up and lean on opponents. He'd smother MIke Tyson at close quarters, lean on him.
    Fury's not a big puncher but he's good at standing his ground and forcing opponents back when he needs to.
    Mike Tyson would lose strength after a few rounds and Fury may well elect to push him back.
    Fury has tons of heart. I think he'd be too much for Mikey.
    He's not going to let a 5'10 man beat him.

Mike would beat Joshua, probably, based on what I've seen of AJ so far.
    But Joshua is a beast, has a great uppercut that could bail him out, and he's also shown he can get off the deck to win.
    I'd make Joshua the underdog though.

ticar likes this.
  2. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    And here you are chasing him around like an irritating dog......

I know in your land of make believe Tyson is unbeatable but in reality he was very beatable as history showed us.

3. Felix Sanchez

Felix Sanchez Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I'd find a Usyk fight more interesting than some of the giants.

4. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    I don't think Tyson would beat Joshua so easily. Look at what Bruno did early on with a left hook. Joshua is basically better than Bruno in every department except maybe the jab. You think Joshua would be like a rabbit caught in the headlights if he wobbled Tyson like Bruno did.

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    No, but I think Tyson punched well and punched sharp from various angles, and I think Joshua has some trouble with angles, even against short-ish heavyweights.
    Joshua's A LOT better than Bruno, I agree with that.

Wass1985 likes this.
  6. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Although Tyson won convincingly against Bruno he was still hurt early on and struggled with Bruno's strength. You've got to ask yourself how would he handle someone bigger, faster, and way more aggressive. AJ wouldn't be so nice to Tyson once he lit him up.

Bokaj and Unforgiven like this.
  7. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I'd say Tyson, at his peak, probably beats the current top-flight HWs, but I don't think it would be easy in all cases. That is to say, at least a couple of these match-ups would pose more of a mystery than the foregone conclusions we became used to seeing, as Tyson cleaned out the late '80s crop.

8. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    think he handles Wilder and AJ rather easily . Fury on the other hand has impressed me. On each other’s best nights I pick Tyson...but I’m not putting money on it.

9. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Joshua would probably be the toughest one for him. He knows how to use his size.

That said, old man Povetkin was able to land on him and if he can then probably Tyson can too.

10. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Maybe Tyson would fight at cruiserweight rather than heavyweight, he could probably dry out to make 200.

11. ideafix12

ideafix12 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Fury schools berbick bonecrusher and tnt easily

12. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I don't see Tucker beating Wilder either. Could happen, but my money would be on Wilder.

Wilder can definitely be outboxed, but if you don't stop him you are always in danger of that right. An absolutely lethal punch.

ideafix12 likes this.
  13. ideafix12

ideafix12 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Tnt is so overrated..

Wass1985 likes this.
  14. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Yeah, that was a serious case of overrating him definitely. Being beat by Tyson adds a lot to your legacy in the eyes of some.

Wass1985 likes this.
  15. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Tucker is nowhere near as overrated as Deontay Wilder. Tucker had an amateur record of 115-6. At the time he fought Tyson, he was undefeated and had beaten a very good version of Buster Douglas. Tucker was almost as tall as Wilder, had infinitely more boxing skill than Wilder, and had an excellent chin and stamina. After the Tyson loss, Tucker developed some well known drug problems, and he was never quite the same. But, a past prime, somewhat out of shape Tucker still went the distance with a prime Lennox Lewis. Tony Tucker was a very good fighter.

ticar, surfinghb and Man_Machine like this.