Would Amir Khan have been Floyd Mayweather’s toughest fight?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by KamyK, May 29, 2020.

1. KamyK

KamyK New Member Full Member

May 24, 2020
    Reasons why I believe Amir Khan’s boxing style would have given Floyd Mayweather more problems than any other opponent he had faced:

1. The type of punches Khan throws are very difficult to counter. Mayweather being a counter puncher will find it difficult to land counter shots versus Khan due to the type of punches Khan throws. Khan mainly throws the jab and straight right in quick snappy combinations. Khan doesn’t throw hooks, uppercuts or power punches. These type of punches Mayweather can see coming from a mile away and can easily dodge and counter those type of shots. Khan never loads up on his body weight into his punches. He mostly throws simple punches such as the jab and straight right. Simple punches are the most difficult punches to counter. He throws these type of punches with blistering hand speed in quick snappy combinations and doesn’t put his body weight into them. Khan doesn’t throw lots of brawler style punches like hooks, uppercuts and power punches which Mayweather can see coming a mile away. Khan’s punching technique and the way he utilises his arms is completely wrong for counter style boxers. Khan’s punching technique leaves less gaps and openings for counter shots, because his punches are always quick and snappy. Throwing mostly jabs and straight rights leave less openings and gaps for counter shots, especially when considering the boxer possesses lightning quick hand speed. Simple punches like jabs and straight rights are the most difficult type of punches to counter. Khan is one of the best at excuting and combining the jab and straight right together in combinations because of his blistering hand speed.

2. Khan has good height, reach and foot speed which allows him to control his range and keep a distance from his opponent, thus allowing him to keep on the outside at all times which in turn makes it difficult for someone like Mayweather to land counter shots when the opponent is on the outside at all times. This allows Khan to fight from a distance and will make it difficult for someone like Mayweather to land counter punches. Khan is very quick and efficient at getting in and out of range due to his height, reach, foot speed and hand speed.

3. Mayweather is much more comfortable when his opponent comes forward and fights on the front foot to become the aggressor so he can easily land counter punches on his opponent. But in Khan’s case, he does the opposite and fights mainly on the back foot and keeps his distance rather than come forward onto his opponent and be the aggressor which many brawler style boxers do. It’s much easier to land counter punches against someone who comes forward and applies pressure, as opposed to someone who fights on the back foot. Khan mainly fights on the back foot and stays behind his jab which will obviously prove very difficult for someone like Mayweather to land counter shots.

4. Khan has good volume punching and intensity, meaning he can throw lots and lots of punches in a small amount of time with his blistering hand speed. Mayweather will find it difficult to control the tempo and rhythm of the fight against someone who has good intensity and can throw lots and lots of punches in a small amount of time. Mayweather will also find it difficult to land counter shots against a good volume puncher with good intensity.

5. Khan has a good jab, and a very fast jab, which in turn is very effective at winning rounds, thus will allow him to win rounds over someone like Mayweather. It’s also proven very difficult to land counter punches against someone who stays behind their jab. Khan has a very good jab because of his technique, height, reach, range, foot speed and hand speed.

6. Mayweather doesn’t have the power to trouble Khan. Khan mainly struggles against opponents with good punching power.

7. Khan’s blistering hand speed will trouble Mayweather. It’s always proven very difficult to land counter punches against opponents with good hand speed. Also at Mayweather’s age the last person you would want to be up against is a younger fighter with very good hand speed.

In conclusion Amir Khan’s boxing style is completely wrong for counter style boxers. He has the style and all the attributes to trouble counter style boxers. His boxing technique, intensity, hand speed, footwork, movement, height, reach, range, can make it very difficult for counter style boxers to execute counter shots. With Khan’s style and boxing technique he leaves less openings and gaps for counter style punchers. Mayweather has never faced an opponent with all those attributes. Styles make fights and in my opinion Khan would have been Mayweather’s toughest opponent.

In my opinion Mayweather’s best chance of beating Amir Khan would be to come forward and apply pressure. If Mayweather fights on the counter then in my opinion he has no chance of beating Amir Khan. Mayweather would have to change his style and become the aggressor. Coming forward and applying pressure brings plenty of other problems to the table:

1. Mayweather is not a big puncher. Fighters and brawlers that like to come forward, it obviously helps them a lot if they tend to have good punching power. Khan mostly struggles against big punchers.
    2. When boxers come forward and apply pressure they will always get caught and run into lots of punches. Coming forward and applying pressure makes it difficult to avoid getting caught.
    3. If Mayweather comes forward, Khan can counter that because he has good volume punching and intensity, which can make it more difficult for Floyd to apply pressure and get into his rhythm and tempo to control the fight.
    4. If Mayweather does come forward and apply pressure, Khan has the foot speed, height, reach to control his range and keep a good distance away from Mayweather.

These are the reasons why I believe that Floyd Mayweather vs Amir Khan would have been a very interesting fight and in my opinion Amir Khan would have given Floyd Mayweather a better fight than any other opponent he had previously fought. This fight would have been like a chess match. A tactical fight. The fight definitely would have made sense and it definitely should have happened.

I would like to make it very clear that I’m not claiming Amir Khan will 100 per cent beat Mayweather but I genuinely believe that Khan would have been his toughest opponent because of his boxing style and attributes. Styles make fights and it definitely would have been an interesting match up.

2. fitzroy boy_iron mike

fitzroy boy_iron mike Active Member Full Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Khan got dropped by Willie Limond. I'm not a fan of PBF- imo, he brought about the loss of valiance in boxing. But he would rock china glass early on...

Scar, lloydturnip and Oddone like this.
  3. KamyK

May 24, 2020
    At the same time he has taken a few big hits from the likes of Maidana and Lamont Peterson

4. fitzroy boy_iron mike

fitzroy boy_iron mike Active Member Full Member

Oct 26, 2005
    That is true, can't deny that.

5. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    No. Khan would have been thoroughly out-boxed after perhaps taking the first couple of rounds.

Khan was fast but one-paced. Mayweather would have taken a few rounds to adjust to this pace and then timed him. Khan's habit of exiting an exchange with lazy hands and chin up would have been an open target for Floyd's straight right hand. He would eventually catch him with this as Khan stepped in too.

Khan also never adjusted during fights. He just kept doing the same things. Effective against lesser boxers, but not enough to win the required rounds to win this fight.

6. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    In a word NO. Floyd would have boxed for a few rounds and not worried about loosing then. Khan was hella fast, but they were premeditated combos a lot of the time. Floyd has better footwork, better power, more accurate, better defense and even when he did get hit his chin was up to it. Eventually Khans speed would drop of a touch his jab wouldn't come back to his chin and Floyd would ram home that straight right over the top. Khan may have caused him problems early ala Zab Judah but he wouldn't sustain it

7. KamyK

May 24, 2020
    Don’t think Amir Khan was ever outboxed during his peak. Plus I don’t think Mayweather has got the power to trouble Khan.

8. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    I think Khan Vs. Mayweather would have been a very competitive fight. If Floyd can't drop or KO Khan, Khan could possibly beat him on activity, but get robbed on the cards.

Floyd definitely avoided Khan. Khan was a pretty big name back then and both were under Gaymon.

iii, Geo1122 and KamyK like this.
  9. zulander

Mar 17, 2006
    Khan survived Maidana but was badley hurt but could have been stopped.. Peterson OK he survied and should have won the fight but Peterson dones't punch as clean or as fast as Floyd. If Canelo can't walk you down Khan isn't managing it either.

Dropped by Willie Limond
    Khan was KO'd by Prescott a decent lower tier journyman
    KO'd by Garcia a decent but not world class puncher
    Dropped and wobbled by Julio Diaz
    KO'd by Canelo
    later in his career he has been dropped badly by the likes of Sammy Vargas

His punch resistance at the top level isnt up to it. He doesn't beat Floyd ever. He may win a round or two.

Oddone likes this.
  10. zulander

Mar 17, 2006
    He was outboxed by Danny Garcia and stopped that was prime Khan. He was landing good combinations but Garcia kept landing the left hook until he found the one to scramble Khans senses. If Khan had adjusted to the first knockdown he might have got back into the fight but he decided to stand and trade. He didn't have the boxing IQ to compete with the best

lloydturnip, Oddone, KO KIDD and 2 others like this.
  11. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    He was out-boxed by Crawford - someone with excellent timing and ring IQ too I hasten to add - and Floyd wouldn't have needed power to beat Khan.

Chuck Norris likes this.
  12. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Khan for all his speed was fairly easy to time and I have no doubt Floyd would be able to hit Khan.

13. KamyK

May 24, 2020
    Floyd is definitely the more complete and skilled boxer but I do feel Khan’s boxing style was wrong for counter punchers.

I think Khan’s footwork was very very good. If not better, as good as Mayweather’s. I wouldn’t necessarily say Mayweather’s power was overwhelmingly greater than Khan’s. Mayweather was definitely the more accurate puncher and better defensively.

At his peak, Khan was one of the best out there at controlling range and winning rounds over his opponents.

14. zulander

Mar 17, 2006
    Khan had fast feet for sure, but he wasn't always tidy in the pro ranks he's been guilty of squaring up on more than one occasion and getting hurt because of it. Under Roach he was often accusing of using the ring to much and burning energy because he could't make smaller adjustments especially when opponents got in close.
    Mayweather could crack - even at 147 he just prioritized the win over everything else. Just watch him startch Ortiz bit of cheap shot but he still sent his conscious back to texas.
    Khan's jab would have been key but he makes two many mistakes for a master craftsmen like Floyd not too exploit and Khan's repeated tiring later in fights would cost him against a guy who used minimal movement to make people miss. A prime Zab from the southpaw stance was causing Floyd issues but he adjusted and won the fight.
    If Khan had a real high boxing IQ and didn't make so many mistakes I could maybe see him winning but from the evidence throughout his career is he's one shot away from being KD or KO's even against non punchers.

Pimp C and northpaw like this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Lmao no. Khan wasn't patient, Floyd was. Khan's not gonna play to his strengths with 1-2s, and movement, he's gonna come forward and throw combinations. He was always susceptible to being timed, and ever made any adaptations to change that. Floyd's straight right is gonna pick him apart, and his body jab is gonna play havoc on his fleshy rib section. You might say why would Khan lead against a Floyd? Well, 3 reasons; #1. Stupidity. #2. He can't out-box Floyd if he tried, he's just gonna get countered and have his jab nullified and #3. Impatience. He always went on offence when he didn't need to and it's what got him KOed, multiple times.

Khan can have all the speed in the world, didn't stop him being KTFOd by Columbian pastry makers. But then again, Floyd didn't fight him so Khan obviously wins....

JC40, wutang, Pimp C and 4 others like this.