Would Andre Ward win a single round against Calzaghe ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MarkusFlorez99, Jul 13, 2022.

Who wins ?

This poll will close on Apr 11, 2025 at 3:05 PM.
  1. Calzaghe decision

60.0%
  2. Calzaghe KO/TKO

4.2%
  3. Draw

1.1%
  4. Ward decision

31.6%
  5. Ward KO/TKO

3.2%
  1. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    There's also the Frank Warren aspect to consider - while Joe could have been more of his own man, Warren has to shoulder a lot of the blame as well, and their less-than-amicable split is well documented.

Tbh, weather it's Warren, King, Arum or the Hearns of the world, I try to give the fighter as much of the benefit of the doubt as much as possible, and i'd guess at least 90% of the time when fights don't get made, or fighters coast on east defences, the majority of the blame lies with the snakes protecting their cash cow investment.

2. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Warren only shoulders a small part of the blame, simply because everyone knew how Warren operated, and Joe was happy to stay with him for years.

You also have to take into account Joe’s comments throughout the years, like where in heated exchanges with the likes of Carl Froch through the media, Joe has boasted of his number of WBO title defences.

He’s done that on numerous occasions, which tells you that he was more than happy to fight everyone who he did.

3. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    What I was more getting at there is why single out Joe when the vast majority of fighters do what their promoter tells them to do?

Look at Crawford, Spence, Golovkin, Tank just to name a few in recent years, and that's just for starters, i'm sure there are plenty more.

4. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    We’re discussing Joe, simply because the thread is about him.

Sure, most fighters do what their promoter tells them too.

However, not many fighters stay with a promoter for 10 years if they’re not happy.

Again, Joe was happy.

Staying with Warren for that long was never going to put him in a position where he could try and secure the biggest fights possible. But that was okay, because he obviously didn’t want the biggest fights possible.

Warren was more than happy to go the WBO route, and Joe was more than happy to go along for the ride, as he had little ambition.

There’s also a long list of fighters who have broken away from their promoters in order to push for better fights.

There’s no way Ricky Hatton would have gotten fights with Manny and Floyd, had he have stayed with Frank Warren for his entire career.

5. pepsiclassic

pepsiclassic Active Member Full Member

Aug 7, 2019
    how many forums did you post this on...

6. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Id favor ward to beat the calzaghie that bhop frustrated. Had him slapping air, glove, and arm. Calzaghie and his dads back n forth after round 11 was vintage hopkins.

7. realsoulja

realsoulja Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Joe Calzaghe's name will forever be intertwined with Tocker Pudwill's, this is an accepted fact among experts, ESB analysts and boxing historians. You can cry all you want sonny but Tocker Pudwill is relevant whenever Joe Calzaghe is mentioned and he is definitely relevant to the discussion we are having in this thread.

Here we have Joe Calzaghe mentioning the likes of Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr, Calzaghe was saying he wants to fight a great fighter, they were mentioning 50,000 in Cardiff stadium, Joe Calzaghe was giving it the large... but then he ends up going toe to toe with Tocker Pudwill instead. The underwhelming anticlimax. Thats like a man who speaks highly of his own bedroom game... but then ends up pulling out a 3 incher. That's like a Football club talking about buying the likes Virgil Van Dijk.. but then end up buying Harry Maguire or Titus Bramble. Thats like saying "Joe Calzaghe has a great resume" but then naming the likes of Woodhall, Brewer, Ferrerya, Sheika... hey wait a minute aint that what you did:-

Pathetic. Anyway.

So don't try to change the reality of the situation, Tocker Pudwill is and will remain a solidified component within the legacy of Joe Calzaghe.

8. Joe.Boxer

Joe.Boxer Chinchecker Full Member

Jan 8, 2011
    "realsoulja"...the poster who once claimed the Team Elite HQ was the trolley section of Tesco Berkshire's carpark. The sheer gall of that man.

realsoulja and The Real Lance like this.
  9. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Team Delete was a joke!

realsoulja likes this.
  10. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021

11. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    I never got my tin of chappie.

What’s HeadBanger doing?

Is he still around?

12. The Real Lance

Oct 29, 2012
    I think see a post of his every blue moon.

Loudon likes this.
  13. realsoulja

realsoulja Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Joe.Boxer and The Real Lance. The two honourable gentlemen who showed warrior-spirit during their 100 page thread fight started by bailey in possibly the greatest intellectual brawl ever to have taken place in the ESB squared circle. The Real Lance during those days was called "Lance_Uppercut" from the lonely lands of Alaska not having any human activity within a 50 mile radius from his frozen iced out Cabin. While Joe.Boxer a well established authority in ChinCheck-ology and also a Team Elite General was struggling at the time with the 3 hour maximum stay time limit at Tesco CarPark causing him many parking tickets.

This all led up to a showdown that spanned 100 pages of pure carnage. Lance renamed Team Elite into "Team Petite" and in a one man Rambo-spirited effort vowed to turn them into "Team Delete". While Joe.Boxer renamed Lance_Uppercut into "Lance_UtterCunt" while his fellow Team Elite Generals bailey called him "Lance_UberCunt", and HEADBANGER called him "Laaaaaaaaaaaaarnce_Uppercut". The lads threw a few lowblows, showed intellectual iron chins, and made excellent strategic usage of emojis. Good to see them a little more chilled today hopefully enjoying the fruits of the labour.

Team elite maybe was a joke, but they definitely had jokes aswell.

Loudon and The Real Lance like this.
  14. The Real Lance

Oct 29, 2012
    :angel2: they were weird with their playing make believe all the time. Felt like I was dealing with 16yos. But i suppose i've mellowed some in 'older' age :) no one i should have taken serious at the time.

realsoulja likes this.
  15. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    See I'm a massive calzaghe fan.. He gets a stupidly hard time on here from the yanks. I think the opposite though, I think ward is all wrong for joe