Would anyone argue that British Boxing currently is in damm Good Nick ?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Peterp, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Scyson

Scyson Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Joshua is elite in both ways. He’s the unified heavyweight world champion of the world. You wouldn’t back any heavyweight to beat him at present.

sjp17 likes this.
  2. sjp17

sjp17 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Fair point, I am not a fan of Joshua but I can't really argue with anything you say nor can I think of a heavyweight who is ready to beat him , maybe Dubois in a few years time , or Cornish once he finds his mojo lol ;)

3. Ty577

Ty577 Member banned Full Member

Aug 13, 2017
    How about this?How many Uk boxers have actually gone and dominate their weight class for a period of time,to be really called Elite,and where it really matters, the US.I can think of one, Lennox Lewis,even then ,their are still arguments weather he is Canadian/Jamacian.

4. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    He's our flagship fighter . Only guy to hold multiple titles and regarded by most to be best in his division. In the pinnacle of boxing HW.

Without Joshua we have lots of good fighters but none that stand out

sjp17 likes this.
  5. Peterp

Peterp Well-Known Member Full Member

May 1, 2006
    Just because a boxer isn't going to go down as a P4P legend doesn't mean they are totally worthless !

The volume if British boxers in let's say the Top 10 shows the scene is healthy

There are almost as many Sky sports/Boxnation/ITV boxing events of note as there are showtime/HBO/Espn

6. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    For a tiny island, we have a lot of active boxers whom currently hold, or have held world title belts. There’s a new generation of fighters coming through who could quite realistically go on to win world titles. I think it’s in great health.

Up until very recently we had a world champions at heavyweight (AJ, Fury), Cruiserweight (Bellew), Light-heavy (Cleverly), Super Middle (Groves, Degale), middleweight (BJS), Light middleweight (Liam Smith), Welterweight (Brook), Super lightweight (Burns), Lightweight (Flanagan, Crolla), Super Featherweight (gone blank?), Featherweight (Selby, Frampton), Bantamweight (Burnett, McDonnell), Superflyweight (Yafai)...i’m running out of steam to be honest, I’m sure people can think of even more names that have slipped my memory banks, but you get the jist.

Scyson likes this.
  7. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    for the first time I can remember, the uk is arguably the best place for boxing.

it could be that usa based boxing hasn't replaced its superstars like fmj, pacquiao, odl, mosley, hopkins etc with equally popular equivalents which has left a void filled by uk fighters and aj.

Twentyman likes this.
  8. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    When he won the title he called out all the champs and who did he fight and then he just gives up the title like its nothing and when his calling a fight he says he would of loved to have fought this fighter and that fighter at cw absolute coward hope haye gives him a wake call and then hearn will have one less fighter for his trash ppv's

9. Scyson

Oct 14, 2017
    Someone do a table of what nations hold what belts. Similar to the Olympic medals table.

That would be interesting to see who comes out on top. A few surprises in there too.

S.K likes this.
  10. Scyson

Oct 14, 2017
    USA 17

UK 11

Japan 11

Mexico 7

Thailand 3

Philippine’s 3

Kazakh 3

Cuba 3

Russia 2

Ukraine 2

Puerto Rico 2

South Africa 1

Venezuela 1

Australia 1

Germany 1

Canada 1

Latvia 1

New Zealand 1

From the rankings on Fightnews. Including WBA regular and interim belts. Cuban/Mexican born Americans I put down as nation of birth.

11. Peterp

Peterp Well-Known Member Full Member

May 1, 2006
    When was the last time the UK was second in anything resembling a worldwide sport ?

Definitely not soccer ! lol

So this is damm good !

12. troy

troy Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Been some good domestic fights ,but thers is not one fighter around today that i really follow religiously....also there is a lot of fake beef going on...

13. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Well actually 2012 olympics we came 3 rd and 2016 we came 2nd. Pretty much can't get better than that apart from 1st of course

For a small country we hold weight in most things

14. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Id say Jnr has the potential to surpass his dad.

S.K and Scyson like this.
  15. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Can't see it happening. The wins Snr pulled out the bag were incredible. Don't see that with Jnr