Would Bas Rutten and Chuck Liddell survive against the top 10 current UFC MW or LHW champions?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by mark ant, Aug 4, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 4, 2017
    If Prime Rutten or prime Liddell were fighting at their respective peaks in todays game would they be competitive against top 10 fighters at middleweight or light heavyweight? I feel the game has moved on and neityher guy would really stand that much a chance, just my 2 cents though.

2. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt ESB's own bitchy old Capote-cum-Runyon Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    As well as John L. Sullivan would do against modern heavyweights.

Pioneers are best left to fantasy match-ups versus other pioneers.

Deew and mark ant like this.
  3. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Idk. LHW is not exactly a talent stacked division, neither is HW for that matter. I'm not sure the L Sullivan comparison is apt here tbh IB. The current LHW champ arguably lost to a blown up MW in Thiago Santos and the HW top 10 has none other than Derrick Lewis in it. I think prime Bas and Chuck would hold their own today but probably fall short against the elite.

yaca you likes this.
  4. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt ESB's own bitchy old Capote-cum-Runyon Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I admittedly don't have deep knowledge (more like barely any) of today's scene at either weight in MMA - but yeah I was thinking either against Cormier, which...nah. With the skillsets they had they wouldn't be nearly as evolved as they'd need to be.

Now, give Chuck or Bas a medalling NCAA division I, freestyle and Greco-Roman pedigree, and...that changes things.

(I know Iceman dabbled in college, but...not the same)

5. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I think both would crack the top 10 of their respective divisions. But yeah. Especially in the case of Bas get steamrolled by the elite. So it's not totally hopeless for them h2h but they would have a much tougher time.

yaca you likes this.
  6. Deew

Deew Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2009
    It's impossible to say as they wouldn't be the same fighters if they existed in the modern MMA landscape due to the evolution of the sport.

Bas Rutten was pretty much crocked by the time he was a UFC fighter anyhow and he still made it.

Chuck could only hit and kick hard, really. If he came up somewhere like A.T.T nowadays, I don't see why he wouldn't be a more rounded fighter.

But, if I invent a time machine and travel back and borrow prime Lidell and prime Rutten and take those versions to Fight Island they are getting submitted in minutes.

Somali Sanil and mark ant like this.
  7. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Bas I think would do better, saying that, Chuck fought men that were more well rounded than himself and still knocked them out. I think they’d struggle but if they come around later they’d have more to their game and more than likely be the top boys at some stage,

8. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Technical Support Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Liddell had exceptional takedown defense, if he could keep it standing I dont see why he couldnt make the top 5.

yaca you likes this.
  9. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think they'd both do very well. Rutten at his best had both exceptional and clean striking, and quite an evolved ground game. His only real problem was getting taken down rather easily. Liddell was on the other hand quite hard to take down and had very heavy hands for his size. There has been no major evolution in the last 10-15 years in MMA that would invalidate their skillsets.

yaca you likes this.
  10. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    As has been said, Chuck had solid takedown defense.... and if he can keep it standing he is a live dog with anyone.

BCS8 and yaca you like this.