Would Bowe 1992 Be too Much For Marciano ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jun 28, 2019.

1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Prime Louis knocks the crap out of all of the above imo. Louis was too much like a force of nature, he was relentless with his skill and his nasty punches added up quick imo.

Only 60s Ali would have beat him (though I imagine Holmes would have given him a bit of a boxing lesson before catching too many rights).

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  2. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    You don't think Louis was in his prime at 27 years old?
    In his next three fights he stopped Buddy Baer in1 round flooring him3 times ,Baer had previously lasted 7rds .
    He stopped Abe Simon in6rds,Simon had gone into the the 13th rd first time around.
    Louis also crushed Lou Nova in 6 rds Nova had stopped Max Baer 5 months earlier.
    Louis himself said his last great fight was against Tami Mauriello in1946 five years after the Conn 1st fight.
    Conclusion = Louis was bang in the middle of his prime.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  3. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    He'd been champion for years, and fighting elite opponents for longer. He'd already had 50 fights. People were noticing he'd slowed in the build-up to the fight.

He shouldn't be punished for being at the top so long.

George Crowcroft and 70sFan865 like this.
  4. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Well understood boxing history that Louis was not in top form for Conn. However Conn was an elite fighter who fought his way to be leading hwt contender.

5. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Given that he did against Louis (better inside fighter) I can see him doing that well. Did Tyson ever face quicker fighter than him?

6. Rainer

May 2, 2019
    Show me these comments that he was slowing up, then watch the fights I mentioned, and explain how he improved on his past performances against opponents.

Fergy and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.
  7. Rainer

May 2, 2019
    He wasn't in top form for Conn because he dried out so as to come in lighter and not appear a bully picking on a smaller man .That has zero to do with him being in his prime ,which he undoubtedly was at 27,and his next 3 performances emphatically confirm it!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  8. Rainer

May 2, 2019
    Louis was a deliberate mover who stalked you, Tyson was all over you, he would get Conn out of there quick maybe as quick as he did Spinks.

9. Rainer

May 2, 2019

Show me the quotes that Louis had slowed up.
    His subsequent performances where he radically improved on his wins against Simon and Baer prove this is totally false.
    Louis was an 11/5 favourite against Conn, where was the Conn money?

10. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    ". . . Conn probably wouldn't have rated one chance in a hundred against the man who is claimed by many to be the greatest ever.
    But this is now, and Old Pop Time has been moxing in. At 27, Louis is not as fast as he was a year ago. He admits that himself. He does not punch as sharply nor so speedilyas he once did."
    Evening star. [volume], June 15, 1941, Page B-7, Image 30
    https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...asetext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=range&page=1

"The tip is out that Louis has lost some of his speed"
    Evening star. [volume], June 18, 1941, Page C-1, Image 40
    https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...asetext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=range&page=1

"The champion still is fighting behind the same deadpan which has always been characteristis [sic] of Louis since he first started battling. But, as all other sports writers quote, the Louis of today is not hungry and he has lost some of the fire and determination of two or three years ago. He has definitely slowed down and has lost the spark which is hard to rekindle once it dies"
    The Wilmington morning star., June 18, 1941, FINAL EDITION, Page 6, Image 6

11. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Highly unlikely, Conn wouldn't be intimidated by Tyson and he had much faster legs and hands than Spinks who fought Mike. Of course, Tyson is clear favorite but I can't see him beating that quickly. Conn was outstanding defensive fighter and he was extremely durable.

12. Rainer

May 2, 2019
    Thanks for responding.Now do me a favour watch the first Baer and Simon fights,then watch the second ones and tell me you see a difference in Louis' speed?

13. Rainer

May 2, 2019
    Conn was quicker ,he was also under170lbs for the Louis fight, as soon as Tyson closes the range its game over.

14. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    You'd say the same with Louis but somehow this little 170 lbs guy took some bombs from Louis and even gave back.

15. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    If two fighters were going to expose a drop in Louis's speed, I don't think it'd be Abe Simon and Buddy Baer. Plus both had detiorated for the rematches.

I think Louis was quicker against Max Baer or in the Schmeling remath than against Buddy Baer.