Would Fury vs AJ be the biggest fight in British boxing history?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by BoxingDialogue, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Where was Benn-Eubank televised in the U.S. ?
    I can't remember them getting much coverage in the American boxing magazines.

I doubt Benn-Eubank even ranks among the top 10 biggest British fights of all time.

Momus likes this.
  2. micker1

micker1 Member Full Member

May 31, 2010
    I think it's the biggest. I don't think it will happen though. Fury should beat wilder again and Joshua should beat pulev. Its heavyweight boxing though and 1 of them will probably get beat.

I can see them being greedy. Fury will probably then fight whyte which is fine but usyk v Joshua is where it will fall apart. I would go next if they get stripped of a few belts who cares.

3. Jacko

Jacko Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    It depends on what basis you mean by biggest. Sky and PPV changed the landscape of British boxing. Fury v AJ would probably be the biggest fight in terms of PPV sales and money generated, but, in terms of viewers, probably not. I can't see tens of millions of people watching this fight like what happened when boxing was on terrestrial TV.

4. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Without a doubt this would be the biggest Boxing event Britain has ever seen. Even if you go back to Jack Solomons' extravaganzas at White City just after the War or Len Harvey v Freddie Mills at White Hart Lane. Live gate estimates, including sneak ins were over 100,000.
    Fury v AJ would break every record in the book. House parties featuring the fight in every street, a bit like the way Barry Mcguigan's fights became social events.
    The financial arguments for this fight are simply impossible to ignore.

Momus likes this.
  5. Windrunner07

Windrunner07 Active Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2015
  6. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
  7. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Such a shame that this will take place in Saudi and not the UK.

Unforgiven likes this.
  8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Obviously it would be great to have it in the UK.
    I think it would be great if Las Vegas got it too. As someone who has been following boxing since the mid-1980s, the idea of two British world heavyweight champions fighting for the undisputed title in a unification at Las Vegas is simply amazing.

9. Pompey Junglist

Pompey Junglist Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2019
    It would be Britain's biggest sporting event since the 1966 World Cup Final.

It would of course be monumentally depressing if it's held in the cess pit of Saudi Arabia. It's bad enough we sell arms to them and allow the import of Wahhabism without pimping out our monumental sporting events too.

10. ZiggerZagger

ZiggerZagger Active Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2012
    It would be absolutely massive but 100% doesn't happen in the UK.

11. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Yes, by some distance.

There haven't actually been that many all-British fights of global significance. The huge stadium fights back in the day like Harvey-McAvoy were huge events, but were not for world titles. Benn-Eubank II and Lewis-Bruno were massive over here, but were just another fight across the pond.

Fury-Joshua ticks any and every box for a huge fight. Two household names, with a claim to the heavyweight title, and a fascinating clash of styles in and out of the ring. Which obviously means it's unlikely to ever happen.

12. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Yes, but due to the PPV era (which is back with a vengeance), less British people will see the fight live.

13. Gymbot

Gymbot Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Without a doubt

14. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Moot point, but England-Croatia did nearly 21m. 2012 closing ceremony did 24m. Big sporting events can still pull in huge numbers if they capture the public's attention, which Fury-Joshua undoubtedly would if it somehow ended up on terrestrial TV.

15. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Yeah definetly imo,adding to what the two fighters bring you've also got the rabid/partisan fan base of both men,and the chance to see Hearn and warren forced into the same room as one another which will be ppv stuff itself.